Buy me an AGP card!

Well I'll pay for it...you just pick it out.

I'm looking for the most suitable AGP card for my system. I'm sure you guys get posts like this all the time, but most of you really know your stuff...so that's why I ask. My current specs are as follows.

- Mobo: P4M800
- CPU: P4 2.95 ghz
- Ram: Unknown DDR400 1 stick of 1gb (I'll be adding another gig stick as well)
- GPU: PNY Geforce FX5200 128mb, piece of ***
- I'll be purchasing a new beefy PSU along with the GPU so that not an issue.
I think that about covers it.

I'm looking for a quality AGP GPU that will give me the best bang-for-buck leap over the POS I got now. Trying not to spend over $200. I'd like to be able to play BF2 maxed out.

I put the $200 limit up there because I recently started saving for "The Great DX10 upgrade" next year.

You have that FX5200 because you lean green? Or because it came with the box?

For $200 on the green side looks like 6800GT for AGP.

On the red, X850Pro is a touch more than that, but there appear to be some pretty good deals on X800Pro for closer to $150, and there isn't that much difference between them (some, of course).

For $300 you could do better, of course, but you're upgrading from an FX5200 and saving for a major upgrade. . .so either of those will man-handle what you have now right proper.

Be sure to get a PSU with pcie power so you aren't upgrading it again later. . .

Edit: Tho, if you can wait a month, there's rumors of a 7600GT AGP coming up.

Thanks for the reply.
geo said:
You have that FX5200 because you lean green? Or because it came with the box?
I have the Fx5200 because I bought it a loooong time ago.:smile:

I've been upgrading the other stuff here and there. My current setup is pretty much throw together, which is why I want a cheap card to hold me off until I can do a ground up build.

With the cards you suggested what kind of settings can I expect to play at for BF2...also will I be able to play some of the crazier games like FEAR?

BF2? Probably 1024x768 with 2xAA all settings high except texture which is medium and lighting which is medium (I like mine low because BF2 has terrible lighting in it and its far to dark with lighting above low) and AF at whatever you want, probably 8x.

You can play any game you want with such cards, but with varying degree's of graphics, and its all highly dependent on your FPS tolerence.

Have you considered used cards? I've found some fantastic deals over on [H]s trading forum and I've never got burnt there.

digitalwanderer said:
Have you considered used cards? I've found some fantastic deals over on [H]s trading forum and I've never got burnt there.

Yeah, the [H] forum has a very good for sale/trade forum, its the best I've found. I've traded around 40 times now on that forum and I have not had an issue yet. The admins are very active in that forum.

If you do go this route, just make sure you buy from a seller who has good Heatware or ebay feedback and can prove that the account they provide for those is indeed their's.

_xxx_ said:
This is the fastest piece of hardware for AGP there is:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29500
http://www.techpowerup.com/?10082

Shouldn't be that pricey either. Albatron have the same card even cheaper.

From what I've heard its VERY pricey, $400+.

I'd say its not worth spending over $200 at this point if you're on AGP, any current card pushing the limits of the $200 budget should get you through another years worth of gaming with decent settings.

Yeah, looks like it's €399 here as well. The one from Albatron is €299 though, that's fair methinks.

geo said:
Well, I thought of 7800GS, of course, but I was honoring his stated price limit. It's what I meant by the allusion to $300. . .

Tho I like Digi's link to a used $175 X800XT, as that is also a $300-ish card new.

I see quite a few new X850XT 512MB for below 200€ here. Example:

http://www.alternate.de/html/productDetails.html?artno=JAGHA1

EDIT: of course, € here translates 1:1 in $ there considering HW-prices.

EDIT2: 6800GS for 199 here

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thanks for all the help. I feel better ordering from egghead rather then the forum. So I went ahead and did a little research myself based on some of your suggestions. I ended up ordering a X800GTO along with an extra cooler. I've read that it is possible to unlock the locked pipelines making 16 total. Sounds like a plan to me. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back