Busted gtx 285

suryad

Veteran
So it looks like out of the 2 cards I got one of them has serious issues. 1 card stays within 38C temperature and the other is close to 60C. I think the fan is busted on that video card. I guess now the question is to figure out which one. I have asked newegg for an RMA in the meantime.

With GPU-z it says card #1 is busted. Am I right in assuming that card #1 is going to be the card that is installed in the slot closest to the CPU? That is at least what my hunch is anyway.

I am wondering if I have adequate cooling in my case and I should because I have one fan in front of the hard drive bays, 1 in the back of the case, a vent at the top of the case and 3 fans on the side panel. All are 120 mm fans! So that should not be a problem I think. Besides I had 2 8800 Ultras running just fine in there and if I am not mistaken they make quite a lot of heat as well!

Ah anyway I was hoping to play a bunch of games this weekend but argh. I must say I am quite disappointed and sad and bummed out. :(

I think the most foolproof way is to just remove one of the cards, then start the system and see if the remaining card is the one with the problem.

I wouldn't guarantee that card #1 actually corresponds to a physical location. It's probably just whichever card the driver enumerates first.

Or maybe the hot card is the one on the bottom, and the fan is just sucking in the hot air around the bottom of the top card's PCB. Hope that makes sense. :smile:

But of course the easiest way to find out is to do what Scali suggested.

I just am RMAing both of them to Newegg and got the BFG ones instead. They come with COD5 and are 30 bucks each cheaper or something like that.

As for the sucking hot air from the ground comment, I dont think that is possible. My 8800 Ultras which I have slapped back in for the moment till my new 285s come in next week have no such problems and the form factor is exactly the same. It has to be a defective card.

Cheers for the replies though!

Back