Business Trip (episode 2)

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure you all remember the thread about my business trip to Frankfurt...

Well, i've been preparing for the trip for a few weeks now, researching and talking to people about the way the work there (abysmal by the way...). And i was overall pretty excited...

Today we got the hotel and tickets booked, and i also spent 20mins on the phone with some girl in our office in Paris who spent a week in the office in Frankfurt to do what i'd be doing... She told me what i'd have to do in detail and generally filled me up on everything... Cool..

I get off the phone, i see my boss laughing...

He goes: "come, u won't believe what happened..."

Basically the powers that be want Wendy to go back to Frankfurt cause she speaks German and i don't, and they want me to go cover for her in PARIS!!!

I'm speechless...

Oh i'm not saying it's a bad thing!! I'm extatic! I just don't like waste, and sudden u-turns so i'm a bit miffed...:D plus, i had booked the ticket litterally half an hour before... oh well, company money who cares...

Do you speak French?

I visited France last year and was happy to discover that the reputation that Parisian waiters have is entirely unfair. They were friendly and helpful, and didn't seem to mind my horrible mangling of their language (I have an excellent memory for vocabulary, but grammar escapes me).

Have fun!

CC

Captain Chickenpants said:
Do you speak French?

I visited France last year and was happy to discover that the reputation that Parisian waiters have is entirely unfair. They were friendly and helpful, and didn't seem to mind my horrible mangling of their language (I have an excellent memory for vocabulary, but grammar escapes me).

Have fun!

CC

I studied French for 10 years, still understand most but i've slowed down a lot in speaking ever since i moved to London. Vocabulary got hit too over the years obviously... A refresher would be nice and wouldn't take too long...

i hope your french doenst have liters of italian sauce over it. when i hear my wifes boss talk to me in french ... well sometimes i have to control myself not to laugh in his face over his accent :)

Honey i'm home!!

Hello guys,

I'm finally back from Germany.
I wasn't expecting much, but i have to admit i was very pleasantly surprised. Shows how wrong pre-conceptions can be sometimes!

I absolutely loved the experience, the people were lovely, very friendly, probably helped by the fact that i was in charge there but anyway... Due to recent "staff shortages", I had to go there to learn how they do things and then train lots of people on their own systems, then basically take charge of the team and generally make things better. I have to admit, i was amazed at how good a job i did...

The food... My god that was the biggest surprise! I had so much beautiful food! Restaurants every night, and they surely know good food! Probably helped by the fact that i wasn't paying a penny for it but anyway...

The work was hard, the hours were long, but i'd do it all over again! I certainly was never bored, and there were enough lovely people there to make long days flow by quite quickly and with lots of laughs. Probably the fact that i was getting paid by the hour helped but anyway...

So, all my German pre-conceptions can go to hell, i had a whale of a time, in a city that was branded as "lame" and "boring" by everyone i had talked to beforehand. Never had time to visit the city a lot (only one evening out of 6), but i liked what little i saw.

I'll be going back very soon, if they can afford me, as they definitely need the help... :D

Germany? Weren't you supposed to go to Paris?
What happened to Paris? (or the trip there, I'm sure Paris is still as it was even if you weren't there ;) )

rabidrabbit said:
Germany? Weren't you supposed to go to Paris?
What happened to Paris? (or the trip there, I'm sure Paris is still as it was even if you weren't there ;) )

Well in the end the idea for Paris was crap so i went to Frankfurt, which was the initial plan anyway...

_xxx_ said:
No parties?

When you go to work at 8am and come out at 8pm every day of the week, the last thing you want to do is party, especially when you know there's a nice restaurant somewhere waiting for your company's money, a nice soft bed and room service.... :D

london-boy said:
When you go to work at 8am and come out at 8pm every day of the week, the last thing you want to do is party

Getting older, heh? ;) In my case it's mostly 7am - 7pm and I surely do still want to party. But whatever, glad you had a nice time.

_xxx_ said:
Getting older, heh? ;) In my case it's mostly 7am - 7pm and I surely do still want to party. But whatever, glad you had a nice time.

Heh, i'm not used to that!! I'm used to work 9 to 5 and my job description involves 20% finance work and 80% posting here!! :LOL:

Back