Business Strategy and Retail Pricing for Xbox One X [2017] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the Pro

No, specifically referencing the Pro.

Pro is Scorpio's most direct competitor. Scorpio has a significantly faster GPU, significantly more BW, significantly more memory for games, better audio processing, a better optical drive, faster CPU.

Such a one sided stack of advantages wasn't there with the X1 vs PS4 or 360 vs PS3.

It's better across the board in a way we haven't seen for a long time.

That's its entire reason for existing.

It's the best. Full stop. No argument. That's what you're paying for.

Pro is Scorpio's most direct competitor. Scorpio has a significantly faster GPU, significantly more BW, significantly more memory for games, better audio processing, a better optical drive, faster CPU.

Such a one sided stack of advantages wasn't there with the X1 vs PS4 or 360 vs PS3.

I should have maybe bolded the 15 year part, I meant the fact that the Pro is already out and been significantly more powerful than it's competition means your statement is not true, and even then it remains to be see how much difference it will actually make and even then how many will notice without it being pointed out.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they did not showcase a single game that made anyone think "OMFG, this console is in a league of its own"

Crackdown 3 looked like a first gen XB1 game

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they did not showcase a single game that made anyone think "OMFG, this console is in a league of its own"

I agree that MS did a poor job of selling the jump. Apparently, ppl that watched it on a 4K/HDR monitor via Mixer at home, says that the advantages were very noticeable. Since I'm on a shitty 1080p monitor, I can only say it looked great and nothing that the OG PS4/Xbox couldn't handle other than Anthem.

Anthem seemed above anything we've seen so far considering it's supposed to be an open world.

Save for resolution, Crackdown 3 looked like a late-gen X360 game. Just compare it to Saints Row 4 in the X360:

I also don't know what's taking them so long to release this game. There's this 15min gameplay video dated from August 2015:

Did they add anything meaningful during these last 2 years?

"With great power comes great responsibility." Or a game engine that's CPU bound making all those lovely advantages look like a hot mess. PS4 Pro included...

I should have maybe bolded the 15 year part, I meant the fact that the Pro is already out and been significantly more powerful than it's competition means your statement is not true, and even then it remains to be see how much difference it will actually make and even then how many will notice without it being pointed out.

What I'm trying to get at (perhaps not very well) is that X1X is a deliberate attempt to hit a high point that mainstream consoles can't - and haven't tried to since the OG Xbox. Even PS4 Pro didn't try to go into the territories that X1X has. Not because Sony couldn't, but because Sony didn't have the desire - or perhaps the need - to make a "fuck it, it's just the best, at everything" console.

Consoles get faster and become more capable with time - as architectures improve and as transistor density increases. Because of trying to hit mass market price points, consoles like the PS3 and 360, came in at similar points. Even the PS4 that bested the X1 didn't have a completely one sided advantage - memory for games was the same meaning same assets, optical drive was basically the same, cpu was slower, BW was lower (though easier to take advantage of), audio processing was less capable.

With Scorpio it's just better than it's competition, at everything. But there is still a tradeoff. There's always a tradeoff.

And that's price.

Scorpio is designed for customers who see that as the optimal compromise. If someone is outraged at the price of Scoprio, then that person is not someone that Scorpio was designed for. There are already two - or perhaps three - other consoles on the market for those people.

The internets are in disbelief about a $499 console, but that's because lots of people just don't get what it is, because no-one tries to make console like that (any more).

What I'm trying to get at (perhaps not very well) is that X1X is a deliberate attempt to hit a high point that mainstream consoles can't - and haven't tried to since the OG Xbox. Even PS4 Pro didn't try to go into the territories that X1X has. Not because Sony couldn't, but because Sony didn't have the desire - or perhaps the need - to make a "fuck it, it's just the best, at everything" console.

Consoles get faster and become more capable with time - as architectures improve and as transistor density increases. Because of trying to hit mass market price points, consoles like the PS3 and 360, came in at similar points. Even the PS4 that bested the X1 didn't have a completely one sided advantage - memory for games was the same meaning same assets, optical drive was basically the same, cpu was slower, BW was lower (though easier to take advantage of), audio processing was less capable.

With Scorpio it's just better than it's competition, at everything. But there is still a tradeoff. There's always a tradeoff.

And that's price.

Scorpio is designed for customers who see that as the optimal compromise. If someone is outraged at the price of Scoprio, then that person is not someone that Scorpio was designed for. There are already two - or perhaps three - other consoles on the market for those people.

The internets are in disbelief about a $499 console, but that's because lots of people just don't get what it is, because no-one tries to make console like that (any more).

PS3 ring any 'does everything at great cost' bells? That went down well even though it was a relatively cheap Bluray player...X360 went in as a cheap good games machine and as a result went from a poor position to joint top seller. This gen they went for the all in one expensive box and Sony went for the cheap games machine and won.

Essentially you're saying MS made a console for a market that doesn't exist, some mythical set of well off folk who have been waiting for the most powerful console ever. No-one has been waiting for an overpriced console just because it's the most powerful ever...except die hard Xbox fans.

Save for resolution, Crackdown 3 looked like a late-gen X360 game. Just compare it to Saints Row 4 in the X360:

I also don't know what's taking them so long to release this game. There's this 15min gameplay video dated from August 2015:

Did they add anything meaningful during these last 2 years?
Campaign: single player & 4-player co-op. :/

Tommy McClain

People with lots of money and want 4K power will be PC enthusiast. Consoles plays games within an ecosystem and MS has the weakest ecosystem and most expensive console. It was a strange decision to make, the first few million will always sell, but competing against three other consoles down to $199 that play the SAME or most of the same games will be rough for them. I suspect the XBX will be 10% of the XB market, which is already 50% of the PS4 market. I guess bragging about power is great, but if the Pro with checkerboard looks close to the XBX for $100-$150 less and more 1st party offerings, it will not be enough.

Does the XBX have a port for Kinect or does that upgrade make the Kinect a paperweight?

Essentially you're saying MS made a console for a market that doesn't exist, some mythical set of well off folk who have been waiting for the most powerful console ever. No-one has been waiting for an overpriced console just because it's the most powerful ever...except die hard Xbox fans.

I don't consider myself as a die hard Xbox fan, but I probably will buy Xbox One X and will do so because of the great specs.

The regular Xbox One to me is not worthy of its name, like the ugly step child we like to beat the living crab out of with a tire iron, a bit satisfying, but ultimately the great disappointment is still left.

This new one imo is Xbox returning to form, where X stands for Power! :) pushing the envelope in the console space. It actually has VERY nice specs imo. It's a major step over the Pro and a huuge step over the Xbox One. Multiplatform games will get a major boost for Xbox gamers.

$499 while an expensive console, is imo quite ok, considering the specs. I know MS didn't do a great job in showcasing it, but I expect DF to show it during the rest of this gen. Also as a MS product the price is actually very reasonable. Cost to price ratio should still be pretty favourable to customers, especially if you look at something like the Surface lineup and how much meaningless upgrades there cost.

The console is guaranteed to have good multiplatform support, so the owners should be pretty happy about it, regardless of how many unit it sells. Still I'm expecting a price cut next year. There is now quite a large price gap between the Xbox models and bigger HDDs etc. will not fill that gap.

PS3 ring any 'does everything at great cost' bells? That went down well even though it was a relatively cheap Bluray player...X360 went in as a cheap good games machine and as a result went from a poor position to joint top seller. This gen they went for the all in one expensive box and Sony went for the cheap games machine and won.

Scorpio isn't an all in one box. It isn't going to have "other OS"; the CPU wasn't designed as a supercomputer chip for all manner of devices; it doesn't come with Kinect. The money goes into stuff that makes it flat out and by far the best console money can buy. The same was not true of PS3 and X1, despite their high launch prices.

Scorpio isn't designed to replace X1S; it isn't intended to undo the need for an affordable mass market console - something that both the launch PS3 and launch X1 desperately needed by didn't have.

MS have said who Scorpio is for, but you don't want to listen. It's for people who want a console like the X1S or the PS4 but want it to be really fucking fast and have really good image quality, and assets better than those used on any other console, and for people who want to own something that's powerful but small and sexy. It's for customers who want what it is.

The market exists, but it's small though potentially highly profitable. You can't target this market alone, but with the mass market covered you can offer an additional product to meet their needs. MS's skill here is in having a product that will run - out of the box - all X1 and 360 games better even without a patch and that feeds off the huge market for PS4 and X1 games. Having a relatively small Scorpio user base isn't an issue as it eats X1 games, but with really easy wins for IQ, native 4K resolution, framerate, and uniquely much better assets - that will show on a 4K tv.

And of course no-one has been waiting for a really fucking fast 4K console, as if there are people who have held off buying a console for 4 years because they wanted native 4K and improved assets for TVs that didn't exist when PS4 and X1 launched. But now those TVs exist and now Scorpio exists there are people with disposable income who will go " oh yeah that looks cool". And there's no barrier with games or friends lists or peripherals to upgrading.

They just buy it and they have by far the best experience you can get on a console, while losing absolutely nothing.

That's who Scorpio is for. It's for a subset of the market who know what they're getting and will pay. Like the Surface line. Or like the PS4 Pro - only far more so.

Scorpio isn't an all in one box. It isn't going to have "other OS"; the CPU wasn't designed as a supercomputer chip for all manner of devices; it doesn't come with Kinect. The money goes into stuff that makes it flat out and by far the best console money can buy. The same was not true of PS3 and X1, despite their high launch prices.

Scorpio isn't designed to replace X1S; it isn't intended to undo the need for an affordable mass market console - something that both the launch PS3 and launch X1 desperately needed by didn't have.

MS have said who Scorpio is for, but you don't want to listen. It's for people who want a console like the X1S or the PS4 but want it to be really fucking fast and have really good image quality, and assets better than those used on any other console, and for people who want to own something that's powerful but small and sexy. It's for customers who want what it is.

The market exists, but it's small though potentially highly profitable. You can't target this market alone, but with the mass market covered you can offer an additional product to meet their needs. MS's skill here is in having a product that will run - out of the box - all X1 and 360 games better even without a patch and that feeds off the huge market for PS4 and X1 games. Having a relatively small Scorpio user base isn't an issue as it eats X1 games, but with really easy wins for IQ, native 4K resolution, framerate, and uniquely much better assets - that will show on a 4K tv.

And of course no-one has been waiting for a really fucking fast 4K console, as if there are people who have held off buying a console for 4 years because they wanted native 4K and improved assets for TVs that didn't exist when PS4 and X1 launched. But now those TVs exist and now Scorpio exists there are people with disposable income who will go " oh yeah that looks cool". And there's no barrier with games or friends lists or peripherals to upgrading.

They just buy it and they have by far the best experience you can get on a console, while losing absolutely nothing.

That's who Scorpio is for. It's for a subset of the market who know what they're getting and will pay. Like the Surface line. Or like the PS4 Pro - only far more so.

Ok, so you think it's not for X1 owners to upgrade...but a 4K owning market that has been dormant, not wanting to play games until this magical all powerful console arrived.

And that market is bigger than the Pro market?

Ok, whatever you say.

Oh, and not all games are native 4K - but I guess the market you imagine exists don't give a shit because they have money to burn

Ok, so you think it's not for X1 owners to upgrade...but a 4K owning market that has been dormant, not wanting to play games until this magical all powerful console arrived.

And that market is bigger than the Pro market?
Where does function say it's bigger than the 4Pro market? He's saying it's a positioned as a low volume luxury item, like McClaren cars and Audemars Piguet watches and Bang and Olufsen hifis. And Xbox Elite ($150) controllers. It's a flagship product, designed to gain notice and headlines. 'Most powerful console in the world, but you can't afford it, so buy its little brother.' Not as extreme as other luxury goods because it still needs to sustain an audience for software, but deliberately positioned beyond most of the market's buying power.

Or say says function. Dunno if I agree or not.

Dude you've said a lot of easily provably false things in the past but this is near the top.
The Ps4 pro vs x1 slim (currently available best MS console) is a ~3x difference in power, yet here you are claiming at the end of this year a ~40% difference is actually greater.
Mate where to begin :smile:

Where does function say it's bigger than the 4Pro market? He's saying it's a positioned as a low volume luxury item, like McClaren cars and Audemars Piguet watches and Bang and Olufsen hifis. And Xbox Elite ($150) controllers. It's a flagship product, designed to gain notice and headlines. 'Most powerful console in the world, but you can't afford it, so buy its little brother.' Not as extreme as other luxury goods because it still needs to sustain an audience for software, but deliberately positioned beyond most of the market's buying power.

Or say says function. Dunno if I agree or not.

I don't know if the payoff is going to be worth it for MS's investment, but I do know - because MS have explicitly marketed it as such - that this is what they're going for.

They want to serve the top end market with something that is clearly unmatched - and it really is unmatched in a way that the Pro, PS4, PS3, XBox 360 never were - and also visibly regain leadership and benefit from the halo effect. They win when they sell the system, and they win when anyone associates Scorpio and the Xbox ecosystem.

Buy into an ecosystem that will allow you to have a clearly unmatched experience, should you ever choose to upgrade to it. And most people never will. But look how desirable the top end iPhones and Samsung phones are, and also look how well the more mainstream phones sell.

The high end defines the product stack. The low end brings in the numbers. Customers are drawn to the product stack, and then buy in at the point they can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back