Burn in process for Artic Cooling-VGA silencer and 9800 pro!

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gundam675, Jul 30, 2004.

1. gundam675

Newcomer

hey guys i just purchased a VGA silcencer for my radeon 9800 pro and installed it. all is good, but do i need to do the same burn in process for my GPU like we are supposed to do for CPU's ? if so how long do i need to run a program like 3dmark03 to get the burn in affect. all i know is that burn in is supposed to increase the thermal conductivivty of the thermal paste !

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I dunno, but I was just mentioning in another thread how I have been letting my arctic silencer burn in on my 9700 pro for the last month or so at stock speeds because I was hunting down instability issues with my PC.

I just got all the problems fixed up this week with a fresh stick of memory, (that was after replacing the PS, which needed replacing badly!), and was thinking of seeing what she could hit tonight when I got some free time.

I used to run her at 380/360, I can't wait to see what she can hit now!!!!

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Re: Burn in process for Artic Cooling-VGA silencer and 9800

You don't have to worry about it if u used the stock paste with it. IF u used artic silver 5 then i would run 3dmark in a loop over and over again while your not using your pc for 3 days and odn't shut off your pc.

I had the silencer on my 9700pro . Used stock paste was getting higher overclocks and cooler temps. I put on artic silver 5 and 3 days later my temps were even lower and i was get higher still clocks.

4. gundam675

Newcomer

what do you mean stock paste ? you mean the paste that came with the silencer or the paste that i cleaned off of the GPU before installing the silencer ?

5. jvd

jvd
    Banned

the paste that came with the silencer

6. logen999

Newcomer

I think its always a good idea to start slow. Make sure your card runs well on stock settings with the new past and silencer before overclocking. Looping 3dmarks for a hour or so will do the trick. Then you can start upping the core and ram (with appropriate ram cooling) speeds.
    There is no need to do anything drastic in terms of “burning inâ€￾

Also, using the latest/greatest arctic silver can better conductivity. Its much more effective then the junk compound that comes stock with the silencer.

I’v had my silincer on my 98pro for a month now and I recently added ramsinks. Everything has been fine and dandy.