Bungie MMO

You think it'll be a Myth MMO? Do they really want to go head to head with World of Warcraft? It would be interesting. If it's a hack'n slash action game rather than following the standard MMO mechanics, it could set itself apart. Bungie is good at shooters and is mega rich. Maybe they'll be the first to seriously pull off the fps MMO. Or maybe this won't exactly be an MMO, but will use some kind of cloud persistence in a decidedly non-MMO world.

So, looks like a hint at an MMO future for Bungie. Good or bad idea? If it has a subscription, I ain't playin'.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1125907p1.html

You'd prefer advertisement or micro-transaction as their profit model? Personally if the game is worth playing, I'd rather pay for a sub than get into the others which I find annoying as hell. (If you're thinking $60 and play for free, that's never going to happen.)

Lets hope they at least make a good story without the need to backtrack surround lore and stuff like in Halo.

Please make me a good action rpg for consoles without lame characters and such.
If you do bungie you get all the luck from me. Ooh and excellent coop will make this game a success.

And i hope torchlight port will work on console. Same with torchlight 2 was it announced for consoles btw?

You'd prefer advertisement or micro-transaction as their profit model? Personally if the game is worth playing, I'd rather pay for a sub than get into the others which I find annoying as hell. (If you're thinking $60 and play for free, that's never going to happen.)

Make a rich $60 out of the box game and go with macro transaction model.
I wouldn't mind buying every 3 month a big expansion pack for 800msp if the content is good.
I believe Lord of the rings online has that kind of model?

I can't afford to tie up a monthly subscription in one game. Just a personal preference. Guild Wars didn't require a subscription but had paid expansions instead. It's not entirely impossible.

They can adopt multiple business models in the same world. It is unclear how many games will be hosted in their carefully crafted world.

I can't afford to tie up a monthly subscription in one game. Just a personal preference. Guild Wars didn't require a subscription but had paid expansions instead. It's not entirely impossible.

It's possible if they do like GW which was a glorified Diablo II multiplayer. IE - 3D company hosted matchmaking lobbies instead of 2D. And then game goes to server/client (or was it peer to peer) adventuring instances.

Depends on what they are going for. Are they wanting to go full on MMO with persistent world? Or a bit of a standard online matchmaking experience with a MMO-lite overlay for the matchmaking?

If the first, they'll have to have some way to fund the massive server infrastructure (monthly or micro-transactions). If the second, then it's much easier to support the limited servers required to host 3D matchmaking lobbies (ala Guild Wars 1).

Also, there's various ways to fund a full MMO. With advantages and disadvantages of each scheme.

1. Monthly with free content added now and again. Many MMO's did this, EQ2, WoW, VG, etc... Everyone in game is on a level playing field.
2. Various F2P models. The more you pay the more advantages you have.

...Full game world available. Micro transactions for perks (more powerful weapons, more powerful pets, limited edition item lotteries, faster mounts, customizable clothing, etc.) Something like what Perfect World International does. The more you pay the more powerful your character and the more unique your attire.

...Limited game areas available. Pay for access to all game areas. Something like Freerealms or LOTRO. The more you pay, the more you can play.

...Limited character advancement, character slots, etc. Similar to EQ2 now I think. The more you pay, the more options you have.

3. Perhaps monthly or bi-monthly DLC. 15-30 USD DLC.

Regards,
SB

The bigger question for me personally is whether Bungie can make MMO gameplay compelling, as I currently have little interest in it.

You get what you pay for.

Good games? I don't play MMOs. Guild Wars was pretty good, debatably not an MMO, but free. Guild Wars 2 seems more MMO-like and is also free of subscription.

I agree with NRP. If this really is an MMO, or has some MMO similarities, which seems the only logical conclusion, then they really have to do something to set themselves apart, bring their strengths to the MMO space and do something new in a stagnant genre. I know a lot of people love WOW, but there seems to be little innovation in the MMO space, and WOW is just the best of the breed.

I would prefer if they make a new shooter. I know that there is HALO, but I would like to play a new Bungie shooter, where they have freedom to come with something new, not bound by the previous HALO games and the HALO universe...

Back