Bubble's troubles....

{Sniping}Waste said:
My advice would be to buy a 3000+ S939 Vinece I linked to for $120 and the Gigabyte referb mobo for $56 if the wife lets you.
Yeah, I like that thought too. It feels weird typing this post from Bubbles, I want to reboot and try and bring her speed up a bit but I got the fear pretty bad. :?

My mobo is loose, some of the grommets connected to the case have come undone and it wiggles a bit....could that have something to do with it?

I'm almost thinking that if I pull her entirely apart and remount her mobo solidly that might fix the problem....but I really don't know enough about these things.

Last time it booted it had a checksum error so it defaulted to the last good, I'm gonna try a reboot and see if it works.

One more dumb question for you before I reboot, the new 550w power supply I picked up should be ok for the mobo you listed...I don't need dual 12v rails unless I go PCIe, right?

Oh, and huge love and kisseys for all the help...you have no idea what a help you have been and continue to be to me. Your scary full of knowledge and about the most friendly and helpful person I've ever met on the boards with it. :)

Well that was strange... :?

It's recognizing my PC3200 as being 2-2-2 rather than 3-3-3, which is why I think it was locking up when I went for a higher FSB....but when I loosened the timings to normal it gave me an "unworkable CPU error" which sort of surprised me, then I rebooted to a checksum error and got into the bios and set the FSB to around 175 and I think the multiplier to 8 or so.

She's running at about 1.4Ghz right now, but something is seriously fucked up with her still and I'm thinking a new CPU/mobo really might not be that bad of an idea. :?

Oh, and Bubbles just locked up hard as I was doing another post for no discernable reason and now refuses to boot again.

I'm going thru all the usual; clearing CMOS, unplugging power lines & removing batter & clearing CMOS, wiggling bits, etc....but it's all deadstick again. :cry:

Should I be worried about a refurbed mobo Snipe? Is it worth the extry to get a new one? (And damn it, why oh why do I want to try a DFI Lanparty so badly if I go for a new board...but I don't think they make a 939 AGP.)

Sorry I keep posting up, but at least I'm keeping my whining all consolodated in one place. :oops:

Don't go with the DFI. They are not easy to work with and there not the most stable mobos out there. You have to give them a lot of love to keep them stable.

Your new PSU should serve you well with a A64 setup. Your memory might not like cas 3 setting like dimm with winbond memchip. Winbon hates cas 3 so no more then cas 2.5 if you have dimms with winbond mem chips on it.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Your memory might not like cas 3 setting like dimm with winbond memchip. Winbon hates cas 3 so no more then cas 2.5 if you have dimms with winbond mem chips on it.
My memory is Kingston value PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/512), should I try and get some new memory too?

I am having the hardest damned time just keeping Bubs up, I just printed out a picture of the chips you linked to and am gonna power down and check 'em.

Grrrrrrrrrrr...... :devilish:

Not only don't the chips on me memory match those chips, they don't match each other. :?

Damn it, I thought they were matched.

Ok, new plan. New CPU/cooler/mobo/1Gb memory, but I have to order it tonight before my shock/frustration wears off.

digitalwanderer said:
Grrrrrrrrrrr...... :devilish:

Not only don't the chips on me memory match those chips, they don't match each other. :?

Damn it, I thought they were matched.

Ok, new plan. New CPU/cooler/mobo/1Gb memory, but I have to order it tonight before my shock/frustration wears off.

Micron was used in the modle number you gave me and Samsung, Hynix, winbond, and Infeneon are used too.

A match pair should be the same chips on both dimms and its strang that its not. I can cause problems but not all the time. I would keep the mem and if it causes a problem on the new system then I would look at replacing them. A cheap 1 gig kit is around $90 and a nice 1 gig kit will be in the $150 range.

Any motherboards you'd recomend over that refurbed one? I'd prefer picking up a retail to get all the connectors & such along with a bit of paranoia about buying someone elses problems.... :?

I'll gladly pay the extry $50 to get the retail version of the one ya linked, I was just wondering if there were any other set-ups you'd recomend I go with on a budget of about $250-$300. (Trying to keep it under two, but I know me... :rolleyes: )

Ignore that last post, it was just my brain panicking. :rolleyes:

I'm ordering the $120 3000+ Venice and a This Thermaltake Venus 12 for $23.50 from Ewiz and I got the $56 refurbed GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD motherboard that Snipe recomended in me Newegg basket along with two sticks of some Crucial memory...but on a whim I checked out their matched Corsair XMS sticks and they ain't all out of my price range.

Any recomends on which is better? I'm gonna go watch FMP:TSR and then place my Newegg.com order.

Happy-happy, joy-joy! Happy-happy, joy-joy! Happy-happy, joy-joy! JOY-JOY-JOY!!!

All the bits have shipped; the mobo/memory will be here either Weds/Thurs and the CPU/cooler will be here by Friday. :D

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I sooo freaking miss my PC!!!

With the help of a couple of really over enthusiastic puppies I just ordered one more now needed bit-o-kit for our computer room:

They both came flying into the PC room and hit just both jumped into my lap/chest area and knocked me over backwards snapping both arms of my chair. :?

Actually this new chair will be for the wife, but I'm just happy to have a non-busted one. (Plus we already nicknamed her current one "the pillow chair" so it's a bit of a step up. ;) )

Sweet jeebus I've pretty much been without Bubbles forever now and I am totally jonesing!!!! :(

One more day, just one more day....

Back