Broadband threw powerlines. Online console gaming skyrockets

I read about this a few months ago. Its was tested a while ago in the U.K AFAIR and it failed. I think the reason for its faliure was that the signal was accidentally being broadcast through street lights or something. I think that was the problem anyway, I'm talking purely from memory here. I heard recently that they're now doing a new test because they may have found a way around the problem.

If only this could work, I could throw away my ISDN line. The thing costs me almost the same as ADSL just for 64k and quite a bit more then ADSL for 128k. I can't get ADSL because BT are so f'ing slow at upgrading my exchange. I have no cable company in my area so I can't get cable either.

I'm currently thinking of getting a new service that comes straight through my Sky TV mini dish. But the problem with that is while its 512k there's a download limit per month of 5gb and a per day limit of about 200mb... and its £35 per month including the ISP for the uplink.

Its just a pitty that I really don't see this powerline broadband happening, not in the U.K anyway, I just have a feeling. I've been pissed off about lack of broadband for so long, and let down so often that I just have a "It will never happen" attitude to broadband now.

Re: Broadband threw powerlines. Online console gaming skyroc

Ooh-videogames said:
The record sales gaming had last year will eclipsed if this comes to fruition.

Here's a link the article, I hope it works.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/870861.asp?0si=-

Well, here in Europe there have been many test with it. However, none of them were satisfactory (don't know why, though). Test have been conducted in Germany, Austria, etc.

This would be the greatest thing ever. :p

Where I live there is a 0% chance of me getting broadband access in any of its current forms (satellite gives you about 2 seconds of latency, which makes it even worse than a 28k modem for online gaming).

I'd pay anything for it.

Yeah, it was tested here in Denmark as well, and I was really hyped for it it. In theory, it's genius - but it just doesn't work, and all the plans were abandoned.

The problem is, that there is so much noise in the electrical lines, that you need a huge effort to separate the Internet signal from all the rest. As far as I remember, you would be stuck with A: the need for a short distance from your house to the power plant, and B: A large and expensive signal-converter box which would have to be installed inside your house, cleaning the signal before it reaches the computer.

The cost means it's not going to happen - and it was unstable as h*** anyway!

Sorry...

They have been talking about this for years, so far the most promising method was not actually sending the data through the wires with the electricity, since power spikes/noise can completely mess the data up. The best method I've read about would encode the date in the magnetic field around the wires. Avoiding power spikes and numerous other problems. No idea what happened with it, or if it worked.

Back