British switching from tea to other drinks?

london-boy said:
bbot said:
What next, britons giving up fish n chips for burger and fries?

Well, fish and chips was replaced by burgers and chips a long time ago Thanks to McDonalds.
Like hell it was!
I don't know a single person who would pick McDonalds over fish'n'chips (ok one, but only because he doesn't like fish).

CC

Captain Chickenpants said:
london-boy said:
bbot said:
What next, britons giving up fish n chips for burger and fries?

Well, fish and chips was replaced by burgers and chips a long time ago Thanks to McDonalds.
Like hell it was!
I don't know a single person who would pick McDonalds over fish'n'chips (ok one, but only because he doesn't like fish).

CC

I would. Everytime i've had fish&chips i was sick for about 4 days.

Bah, you can't beat proper fish 'n' chips (mind you, you also can't *get* proper f'n'c more than five miles from the coast).

Gerry said:
Well I'm about to make myself a huge cuppa, so at least there's one of us still going strong.

Drinking one just now, milk no sugar.
I dont like watching football, but I enjoy playing the game.
Give my a pasta dish over chips any day.

london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:

But you're italian, right? ;)

Yeah must be because i'm used to nice food. Fish and chips is murder for me.

I can understand that. There's no better food than Italian. Only Chinese/Thai comes near.

Talk about downgrading...

_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:

I can understand that. There's no better food than Italian. Only Chinese/Thai comes near.

Hmm, that isn't quite comparing like for like.
Fish and Chips is basically cheap take-away food. Whereas I get the feeling that you are talking more about proper meals. If you compare like-for like then you are really looking at Pizza, which just like fish and chips you can get good ones and bad ones.

I am not sure I could classify one countries food as better than anothers it would have to come down to individual dishes. There is enough fantastic food from all around the world to keep you busy trying to find the best dish for the rest of your life. (My current favorite is probably the Kare Lomen that wagamama does).

Damn, all this talk of food is making me hungry.

CC

Captain Chickenpants said:
_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:

Hmm, that isn't quite comparing like for like.
Fish and Chips is basically cheap take-away food. Whereas I get the feeling that you are talking more about proper meals. If you compare like-for like then you are really looking at Pizza, which just like fish and chips you can get good ones and bad ones.

I am not sure I could classify one countries food as better than anothers it would have to come down to individual dishes. There is enough fantastic food from all around the world to keep you busy trying to find the best dish for the rest of your life. (My current favorite is probably the Kare Lomen that wagamama does).

Damn, all this talk of food is making me hungry.

CC

Uhmmmmm...nope, I wouldn't classify Pizza like cheap take-away food. It's not so cheap nowadays, and no so "take-away", in Italy...how much is it for a plain Margherita in UK?

Crisidelm said:
Uhmmmmm...nope, I wouldn't classify Pizza like cheap take-away food. It's not so cheap nowadays, and no so "take-away", in Italy...how much is it for a plain Margherita in UK?
Hmm, point taken. Pizza isn't especially cheap but seems to work out at a similar price to other takeaway food in the UK, they all seem to work out at about £5.50. To be fair Fish and Chips is probably a little cheaper (say £4.50).

CC

_xxx_ said:
There's no better food than Italian. Only Chinese/Thai comes near.

Greek. Awesome cuisine!

And thai owns chinese so bad it's not even funny. :D Chinafood is just bland palp in comparison...

bbot said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050518/od_uk_nm/oukoe_life_britain_tea

Becoming more like the americans across the pond? What next, britons giving up fish n chips for burger and fries?

This report is basically cods. It just covers young people, and even out of those 40 percent still drink tea at least twice a day. IIRC, in the same group they are drinking loads more speciality and herbal teas (supplied by the same companies). Loads of older people in the UK still drink lots of tea.

What other industry would be complaining that in one younger demographic group only 40 percent is using their product at least twice a day, and everyone else is using it even more so?

Back