Brazil Game Show Feedback

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
Over @ GI.biz

Even with a significantly lower price and a head start in the market MS, yet again, completely seems to have screwed the pooch with their messaging!

But when the show opened on day one for the press and business crowd, there were only a handful of Xbox One consoles playable. Microsoft's booth looked barren, with new technology in sparse supply. The space had been reserved, but the technology was missing in action - all green branding but no jet-black hardware. Forza 5, one of the system's most prominent launch titles, was only present with a trailer and a promotional Mustang. Having your photograph taken with a cool looking car is fine, but it's nothing compared to 20 minutes playing the latest build. Microsoft staff stood around twiddling their thumbs instead of Xbox One controllers. The single Xbox One game playable on the opening day was Killer Instinct. What on earth forced the decision to go with a rebooted fighter over the company's flagship racing game?

The situation wasn't any better for Microsoft's third-party exclusives either. I can't imagine Capcom or Crytek were happy with Dead Rising 3 and Ryse's screens showing common trailers with empty boxes underneath. The space wasn't even asking for a lot to fill it - just five units per game - but Microsoft just couldn't deliver. Fill that space with something, anything. Nothing looks worse than empty shelves.

How are they doing this to themselves? I can't imagine the state of panic that must hitting the XB1 team right now.

It's an understatement to say the Brasil Game Show is big. The numbers do the talking. Over 150,000 people are expected over four public days here. That's not close to Gamescom's whopping 340,000 attendees but it's closing on ChinaJoy's 200,000. It's already bigger than Eurogamer's EGX in the UK and Penny Arcade's PAX in the US. To refer to it as an emerging market is offensive.

:rolleyes:

Sony's stand, on the other hand, painted a clear picture of a company ready to launch in just over a month. Killzone: Shadow Fall had the biggest presence and the crowds to go with it, but none of the smaller games were sacrificed in favour of first-party, or the idea next-gen has to be about AAA. It's a policy that's proving strong for Sony in other regions, and it's no different here. Octodad, Contrast, Knack, the delayed Drive Club and even third-party games Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Blacklight Retribution were all shown and received love. Add to that an embarrassment of riches for the Vita and PlayStation 3, including Angry Birds, Diablo III, The Last of Us, Diggs Nightcrawler, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, and Sony had all bases covered. In contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 section on the show floor featured nothing new at all. Having Gears of War: Judgement and Halo 4 playable just seemed to highlight that there are no Halo and Gears titles due for the Xbox One any time soon.

That and an $1800 price tag.

So what you are saying is media bias?
GI.biz is a respected industry site, not some gamers' hack-site. The article (at least the quotes here) are saying Sony showed up with hardware and games, whereas MS didn't. What is the media bias there if it's reporting what was happening on the floor?

GI.biz is a respected industry site, not some gamers' hack-site. The article (at least the quotes here) are saying Sony showed up with hardware and games, whereas MS didn't. What is the media bias there if it's reporting what was happening on the floor?

Sorry you missed my subtle sarcasm. Every other thread around here is bitching and moaning about every negative XB1 news being due to media bias or "forum warriors". I'll add more winking next time. ;)

That was just for the first day, were only the press was allowed apparently.

I went there on the second day (first day where the general public was allowed) and they did have only a handful consoles to show, but Ryse, KI, Forza and Kinect Sports were all playable (and apparently yesterday DR3 was too).

I dunno for the other days, but on saturday the public reaction was VERY positive towards Ms... Knack and Drive Club were big disappointments...

They are absolutely right about the 360 presence though... I don't understand why almost half of their stand were for 360, and other than Just Dance 2014 not a single unreleased game, everything else released months ago.

Did you poll the public?

Not a poll or anything official, just talking to random people, but everyone I talked to after playing those games had similar thoughts. Also, on brazilian forums I'm seeing similar responses.

I don't know how old the builds from these games were, but they were really non impressive on the graphical side, and the gameplay were also lacking.

Not sure what the big deal is, two weeks ago there were no ps4's or xbox one's at the ny comic con. It doesn't appear that either company cares that much

Not sure what the big deal is, two weeks ago there were no ps4's or xbox one's at the ny comic con.
No consoles at a comic convention isn't any great shock. No next-gen consoles+games at a gaming convention when you're about to launch your new, once-every-seven-or-so-years platform in that market is somewhat different, no?

No consoles at a comic convention isn't any great shock. No next-gen consoles+games at a gaming convention when you're about to launch your new, once-every-seven-or-so-years platform in that market is somewhat different, no?

Comic con isn't just for comics anymore. There was a huge booth for Nintendo and huge booths for a bunch of games.

Actually the south park game had a booth almost the size of DC comics and watch dogs was about as big as marvel's booth.

Its also the biggest north east coast and a month before next gen console launches.

It was a big deal that neither or the two were at the show

Adam Boyes did a keynote. They showed new footage of Killzone and confirmed CoD: Ghosts is native 1080p on stage.

The whole thing was online on UStream, right? I browsed through it, and it was a full blown conference basically, much like they do at E3 and GamesCom.

Back