BR technology, costs still unknown

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
Didn't know which of the previous zillion "BR ist uberest" or "HD-DVD is da bomb" threads this should be placed in so I just created another.

http://news.com.com/Cost+questions+dog+Blu-ray+DVDs+lead/2100-1025_3-5969815.html?tag=nefd.lede

Because Sony's Blu-ray disc technology appears to be the front-runner in the nasty fight to determine how the DVDs of the future are produced, movie studios and disc manufacturers are beginning to come to terms with the financial realities of the new format--as well as some troubling uncertainties.

Hopefully they get these things figured out in the near future...

Saw this on Anandtech earlier today, so I'll just copy and paste my response from there wholesale here:

A commonality of componentry between DVD and HD-DVD will no doubt keep blu-ray lines producing at a higher cost for the beginning of blu-ray's life, but as time goes on it will doubtless reach parity as the component 'elements' become less and less rare.

I think everything else aside, PS3's initial pricing and the pricing of blu-ray movies will be the clearest indicators of where for the consumer blu-ray will head price-wise. Even if blu-ray replication costs double what HD-DVD does in it's early life, it shouldn't translate into a big difference in the final price tag of a movie on the store shelf. Afterall double isn't all that much in absolute terms when we're talking about a couple of cents a disk to a couple of more cents per disc. So I wouldn't expect more than a $5 effect on final pricing at max.

Back