Blue-Ray not until summer and at 1800$

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0_re

Banned
"Still, even a fleeting battle is exciting. Toshiba announced in Vegas that it would ship the first HD DVD players this March, priced at $499. The Blu-Ray forces concede they can't respond till summer at the earliest, at prices likely to start at about $1,800. Sony hopes to make up for its rival's head start by rolling out Blu-Ray in the hotly anticipated PlayStation 3, due out later this year. But don't imagine that the impact of this war will be as critical as the last. "

from MSNBC.com

1800.00 is Sony on crack or what, no one is going to pay 2K to watch movies when they already have a DVD player this has to be wrong.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10947040/site/newsweek/

for 1800$ it better come with a OTA HDTV tuner and burn realtime broadcast HDTV to BR disks

PS...is there anyway for me to change the topic title to "Questionable Blu-Ray article on MSNBC.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems BR will launch in the US when the PS3 launches in the US because the $1800 and $1000 stand alone players we're hearing about wont mean a thing when theres a $499 HD-DVD player available.

expletive said:
It seems BR will launch in the US when the PS3 launches in the US because the $1800 and $1000 stand alone players we're hearing about wont mean a thing when theres a $499 HD-DVD player available.

ok so Sony is willing to loose a 1000$ a unit JUST for the BD-Rom, I find this awfully hard to believe, Sony or for that matter no one can afford to loose that kind of money on a per unit basis, not even close.

This thinking has already been debunked- market price has little to do with manufacturing cost upon new product introduction.

c0_re said:
ok so Sony is willing to loose a 1000$ a unit JUST for the BD-Rom, I find this awfully hard to believe, Sony or for that matter no one can afford to loose that kind of money on a per unit basis, not even close.

Let me just clarify this (because i'm confused right now).

You think the BD-ROM drive in the PS3 is going to cost that much money to manufacture?

Mr. Hanky said:
This thinking has already been debunked- market price has little to do with manufacturing cost upon new product introduction.

OK so your saying Sony is jacking the price up? For what reason, why would they want to do that, it should be the complete opposite you want as many units out there as posible so you can sell the disks, thats where the profit is.

I highly doubt Sony will make any money off of selling the BDROM players, thats completely backwords.

There's no way this can be right MSNBC has to have their #'s wrong.

c0_re said:

*smacks forehead*

To the original poster...

Wouldn't it give the general impression that people are getting good value out of PS3 (Assuming they are interseted in HD at all) ? So this is a good thing right ?

Pioneer also said that the standalone 1,800 Elite BR player is for the high-end ethusiast market. Even the Pioneer Elite CD/LD player was priced way above the average CD/LD players when I was looking at it years ago. So we can't really draw any conclusion here. :|

BlueTsunami said:
Let me just clarify this (because i'm confused right now).

You think the BD-ROM drive in the PS3 is going to cost that much money to manufacture?

OK you think is planning on making HUGE profits on BDROM player? Please explain this logic to me, becasue the way you stating it does not fit the razorblade business model at all.

c0_re said:
OK so your saying Sony is jacking the price up? For what reason, why would they want to do that, it should be the complete opposite you want as many units out there as posible so you can sell the disks, thats where the profit is.

I highly doubt Sony will make any money off of selling the BDROM players, thats completely backwords.

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/72/10372.php

Movie Web said:
The BDP-HD1 will begin shipping to retailers across the country in June under the Pioneer Elite brand. It will have a suggested price of $1800.

c0_re said:

Well samsung was supposed to have a $1000 player in spring.

I'm pretty sure that by x-mas, the BR players will only be a slightly higher pricepoint than the PS3, maybe $700-800. PS3 will probably be $500.

I expect HD-DVD's to be $300-500 by then, so the real battle will be between the standalone players I think.

patsu said:
To the original poster...

Wouldn't it give the general impression that people are getting good value out of PS3 (Assuming they are interseted in HD at all) ? So this is a good thing right ?

Pioneer also said that the standalone 1,800 Elite BR player is for the high-end ethusiast market. Even the Pioneer Elite CD/LD player was priced way above the average CD/LD player when I was looking at it years ago. So we can't really draw any conclusion here. :|

OK thank you now was that so hard for christs sake, I have to assume that the 1800.00 unit is going to be a super high end BDROM unit and not the bottom barrel equivelent thats going to be in the PS3?

c0_re said:
OK thank you now was that so hard for christs sake, I have to assume that the 1800.00 unit is going to be a super high end BDROM unit and not the bottom barrel equivelent thats going to be in the PS3?

$1000, $1800, does it really matter at that point?

Okay, the article cherrypicked hyperbolic prices. The cheapest (and some analysts say loss leading) announced Toshiba HD-DVD player versus the most expensive 'Elite' brand Pioneer Blu-Ray player. There have been cheaper players announced even though only (iirc) 3 manufacturers so far have officially announced Blu-Ray prices.

expletive said:
$1000, $1800, does it really matter at that point?

What do you mean it's amost 2x the cost, your going to tell me that doesn't matter to Joe consumer?

For 1800$ they can go out and buy 2nd HDTV

c0_re said:
What do you mean it's amost 2x the cost, your going to tell me that doesn't matter to Joe consumer?

For 1800$ they can go out and buy 2nd HDTV

His point was both pricepoints are way too high, so it doesn't really matter. $1000, $1800, nothing is going to sell at those pricepoints anyways...they are far to expensive for Joe Consumer to purchase.

Mmmkay said:
Okay, the article cherrypicked hyperbolic prices. The cheapest (and some analysts say loss leading) announced Toshiba HD-DVD player versus the most expensive 'Elite' brand Pioneer Blu-Ray player. There have been cheaper players announced even though only (iirc) 3 manufacturers so far have officially announced Blu-Ray prices.
I personaly think these #'s are BS if Toshiba can come out with a 500$ player I bet Sony can with 2-6 monthes of the PS3 release.

c0_re...

There are many many different pricing strategies. Marketing is a deep subject, and in some branches (e.g., pricing strategies and market research), it involves sophisticated mathematical modelling. So it's hard to generalize without knowing all the parameters. I'm still learning too.

Regarding Pioneer BR, as many have said before... they are going to skim the market by leveraging on their Elite brand. For a quick look at skimming: http://www.tutor2u.net/business/marketing/pricing_strategy_skimming.asp

As for the razor blade business, there is no/little technological barrier (especially initially), so they have to quickly establish the dominance and may not be able to price high. It all depends on how the companies see their segments.

This news is old and wrong. The first player will be a Samsung, due in April, not the $1800 pioneer. A lot of news agencies took it that because Sony announced their players weren't coming till Summer, that nobody else could be coming any earlier, which is incorrect.

c0_re said:

We already had a thread about this, and many people went over the idea that initial pricing of a new technology will have price gouging. It is considered by some (myself included) that the HD-DVD pricing is more out of desperation than anything (as, looking at the support, it isn't doing nearly as well as BR... so it needs to try to get itself into people's hands asap, especially before PS3 launches). Even late in a technologies life the pricing of something isn't going to necessarily reflect the cost of production.

It's possible that the 500 price tag isn't necessarily going to affect much. The type of person that is going to jump on the technology early isn't necessarily going to be that price sensitive and is more likely to be a bit more knowledgable about the product, and will likely be aware of the support both HD-DVD and BR has and judge more on that rather than on price. The only reason PS3 has a chance at affecting the BR/HD-DVD war is because people will be buying PS3 almost exclusively for the game console part (there will be a small number that will get it for the BR part, but that isn't likely to be a significant number)... and then people will try out BR movies (a certain percentage will, at least) and get swayed towards continual purchases. The $500 price tag seems a bit shortsighted and one of those last chance moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back