Blu-Ray/HD-DVD completly cracked...universal processing key

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
w00t.gif

Not so fast. The particular processing keys are very likely to be locked out in future releases.

Then cracked again, and once again, and oh again, and then again, and on and on and on. At some point it will always be cracked.... always.

Yeah its not completely cracked as it will get locked out as that is going to be breach of the licence since that key has to be kept safe by the software.

For it to be completely safe we need a hacked playback software ( you could say use that key to make your own program ) which won't check for black listed drives and won't black list itself. And two we need a drive which has been compromised that won't black list itself and blacklist the software. That way people just need to get a copy of the disc and they can publish the key and never be stopped except for BD+.

Err, so looking at the OP. . .we're associating ImgTec with the joys of IP theft? Is that the idea? :???:

They should crack the ipod and zune instead?

Preferably, they shouldn't crack anything.

As much as I would like the idea of drm free stuff (although I can't really complain about drm in music/movies -- I haven't had any inconveniences caused by it), I don't think continually cracking stuff is the way to go about getting it and I'm not quite sure why people haven't learned that. There needs to be a positive movement of people (that isn't destructive to the cause, like these doom9 guys) for any studios to listen -- someone like Steve Jobs behind the goal doesn't hurt either!

I honestly think where all this is going, is to a complete end to software players, unless they can somehow guarantee the safety of the keys.

As much as I would like the idea of drm free stuff (although I can't really complain about drm in music/movies -- I haven't had any inconveniences caused by it), I don't think continually cracking stuff is the way to go about getting it and I'm not quite sure why people haven't learned that.
I feel the same way, 'cept I think the industry should give up on DRM and the like.

I don't think continually challenging the crackers is really getting them much of anywhere. :p

They are not only challenging the crackers but also the customers.
IMHO customers are not adopting technology and buying the content in the speed they could.

My guess in the end they will have some relaxed DRM, but will not give up the software players.

Last edited by a moderator:
For it to be completely safe we need a hacked playback software ( you could say use that key to make your own program ) which won't check for black listed drives and won't black list itself.

It's not about blacklisting. The problem is, when the device key is revoked, all further released disks don't have keys encoded with that device key, so you can't decode these disks with that key.

Preferably, they shouldn't crack anything.

As much as I would like the idea of drm free stuff (although I can't really complain about drm in music/movies -- I haven't had any inconveniences caused by it), I don't think continually cracking stuff is the way to go about getting it and I'm not quite sure why people haven't learned that. There needs to be a positive movement of people (that isn't destructive to the cause, like these doom9 guys) for any studios to listen -- someone like Steve Jobs behind the goal doesn't hurt either!

Just because they are cracking the DRM does not automatically mean they have pirated the media itself, they may just not want to deal with any of that nonsense.

I'm guessing you have never bought music from itunes and tried playing it outside of itunes or an ipod either?

They are not only challenging the crackers but also the customers.
IMHO customers are not adopting technology and buying the content in the speed they could.

My guess in the end they will have some relaxed DRM, but will not give up the software players.

Actually the HD formats are doing better than DVD did when it first came to market and that says a lot considering it's mostly only a resolution upgrade. DVD otoh was a major upgrade over prerecorded videotapes. I think the HD formats are doing quite well relatively speaking.

Actually the HD formats are doing better than DVD did when it first came to market and that says a lot considering it's mostly only a resolution upgrade. DVD otoh was a major upgrade over prerecorded videotapes. I think the HD formats are doing quite well relatively speaking.

Well you are wrong. They have already stated they were disappointed with uptake rate.

Don't go so fast, don't forget Bluray has also BD+ and a "Rom Mark" protection.

Well you are wrong. They have already stated they were disappointed with uptake rate.

I'm wrong because they have unrealistic expectations? I think not. Aguing about it is stupid anyway. I was talking about how DRM has little to do with HD movie uptake. You think the uptake will be higher if there was no copy protection? Why because you could store 5 movies on your HDD or burn them using your $700 burner? Or download the divx verson to build your movie server? :rolleyes:

Back