Bloom effect with Ati Radeon 9800 XT

coolstyle

Newcomer
Is there a way to use bloom effect or something similiar in any games that I pretend to play with that effect?????

I am new in this forum and sorry for my bad english

Not sure what you mean. There's essentially no way to add a bloom effect to a game without modifying the renderer code.

well depends if the engine is set up for RT's shouldn't be hard to add it in. Well also might need MRT's depending on how the bloom effect is set up.

You could create a fake bloom effect smart shader, and apply it to any opengl game you want. (not sure if home made smartshaders still work with the latest ati drivers thought)

So there is no smartshader with bloom effect??? And I mean to use bloom effect in half life 2, Pro Evolution 4, Cs Source, Medal Of Honor Pacific assault, etc there is anyway to put bloom effect in one of these games???? and if "yes" how to put that effect????

well, you`ll need to write a shader program that will do the bloom effect, or to bug some1 on the catalyst team, to add a smartshader bloom ef.

You'll have to bug the cat team as the customer smart shaders haven't worked for a fair while I reported it driver feedback but I doubt anyone cared about it.

Chalnoth said:
Not sure what you mean. There's essentially no way to add a bloom effect to a game without modifying the renderer code.

What about the ati smartshader effects? They have some pretty advanced ones that can be forced in opengl, though not in direct3d, could they be used for a bloom effect?(they might already have a bloom effect in their opengl smartshaders...wish I could force those for direct3d as well)

You're right, I had forgotten about those. The reason I said you needed to modify the game code was because a bloom effect requires an extra pass after rendering. Obviously one can use ATI's smartshader for that final pass instead of modifying the game engine.

I wish ATI would have continued advancing their smartshaders, expanded their directx smartshaders to match the opengl ones, and perhaps even allow users to add their own smartshaders.

There's just not that much point to them. They're mildly-interesting for end-users, but since game developers can do so much more, they just don't mean much of anything.

Chalnoth said:
There's just not that much point to them. They're mildly-interesting for end-users, but since game developers can do so much more, they just don't mean much of anything.

Well, I really liked the sharpen and contrast shaders for use in doom 3. Sharpen gave it a neat silent hillish look, and contrast added a soft look to the image, almost completely eliminated jaggies, had almost no performance hit, and still looked sharper than a tv. A filter like that would have an entire advertising campaign dedicated to it if it was in a game.(or at least be well liked, look at beyond good and evil)

I liked Soften SmartShader. It made a nice depth of field illusion on objects far away. UT2004 looked damn nice with it (OGL mode only)

RejZoR said:
I liked Soften SmartShader. It made a nice depth of field illusion on objects far away. UT2004 looked damn nice with it (OGL mode only)

! I don't have that one...

Perhaps you mean blur?

BTW, could a shader be made to add bump mapping to every game?
The emboss shader makes everything bumpy(with pretty good results), but also messes up the colors really badly.

I get the impression that a general case bloom/bleed effect, forced by something like a smartshader on a game that was never setup to support it, art wise, would end up looking poor.

Other post processing effects that affect the entire frame (blur, grayscale etc) that are agnostic of the lighting work well, but for bloom, I can't visualise a general case shader working too well.

I'd love to be proven wrong though :!:

Rys said:
I get the impression that a general case bloom/bleed effect, forced by something like a smartshader on a game that was never setup to support it, art wise, would end up looking poor.
Should fit right in with native implementations then. :?

Anyone have any idea what CroTeam exactly means with that one?

Bloom (HDR?) added
Our programmer Dean 'Den' Sekulic added a Bloom effect code. We are still arguing over the issue if this is to be called HDR (High Dynamic Range) rendering or just Bloom effect.
Anyhow, we already added that effect to some levels and they all look quite amazing. Of course, the Bloom code still needs to be optimized, but it's definitely the ultra-cool feature. Excellent work, Den.

(February 27, 2004)

www.croteam.com

Back