Blast from the past (1994), N64 SGI graphics demo

Thoughts are that from all the tech demos I've seen in the past that either devs aren't coming close to using all the power of systems and hardware is being wasted or tech demos are BS.

Wow just wow...you could feel the hype energy just from watching that video. :LOL:

Did you hear the number of buzzwords that was spewed from that videoclip? :oops:

Original quote by Tom Jermolok (from the youtube vid)

I should point out that this rapid, infinate range of movements, over under and a full 360 degrees around, is only possible using silicon cartridge, you can't duplicate it on any system using CDROM

:D :D :D

Hehe.

"I should point out that this rapid, infinite range of movement, over, under, and a full 360 degrees around [the shark] is only possible using silicion cartidge. You can't duplicate it on any system using CD-Rom. The performance is just too slow."

That goes to show how much better modern FUD is over the early stuff. Companies are a lot more subtle in their lying these days ;)

I remmber those days "Jurassic Park-quality graphics" :LOL:

you forgot to add this

1robo972x5161uqzs0.jpg

I remember thinking how cool "Ultra 64" sounded as a name. Mind you I thought the same about "Dolphin" and "Revolution" too.

"I should point out that this rapid, infinite range of movement, over, under, and a full 360 degrees around [the shark] is only possible using silicion cartidge. You can't duplicate it on any system using CD-Rom. The performance is just too slow."

That goes to show how much better modern FUD is over the early stuff. Companies are a lot more subtle in their lying these days ;)

I don't think they were lying (exactly). If they were loading in textures or geometry from the cartridge as you panned around the scene, then that comment would be true.

Wow they really said that? Geez....

indeed - what makes it worse is I was a young lad at the time and the internet was not the force it is today so trying to sort what is real and what is hype was almost impossible.

I fell for it. :oops:

However the proof as they say is in the pudding. And the first few n64 screens showed a batch of pudding that lacked a few ingredients.;)

No sale! :LOL:

Back