Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a new shot of Elite.

elitezn6.jpg

I hope I haven't just cursed my XB360 :cry:

Looks like a teenager spray painted it. Let's hope it looks nice in person. Why on Earth did MS make it white at all, iPod/Apple influence? I had to put a skin on mine to make it fit in with all the black AV stuff.

Looks like a teenager spray painted it. Let's hope it looks nice in person. Why on Earth did MS make it white at all, iPod/Apple influence? I had to put a skin on mine to make it fit in with all the black AV stuff.

I'd say the white actually looks better than black for a design like X360. It might blend better with your AV gear in black but standing alone it looks better in white.

I'd say the white actually looks better than black for a design like X360. It might blend better with your AV gear in black but standing alone it looks better in white.

agreed.

AV heads will want the black one, but they will also want hdmi (some are still uninformed) and they will want an hd optical drive.

alone, the white box looks great - very apple esq

That's pretty naive and mostly PR spin. They back HD-DVD 100% and they will never offer a BD add-on. They don't want to tie their console to a long shot like HD-DVD, but they would love to help it and they do in many ways.

The new SKU, if real, shows some of MS's shortsightedness. Adding HDMI after selling 10+ million is kind of a slap in the face to many who screamed about it over a year ago. The hard drive fiasco (20GB/14GB usable or 0GB) doesn't make much sense considering all the DL-able content on Live, including 4GB movies. Is there going to be a 120GB add-on SKU?

Maybe I can cash in my extended warranty to get a new SKU someday ;)

Absolutely. Launching first gave MS some advantages, but this new SKU would be an admission of both their rush job, and the technical inferiority of their current SKU's. I mean $480 for a bigger hard drive and HDMI? The $500 20GB PS3 would clearly be the better value, since upgrading your PS3 hard drive will be much cheaper option than on the 360,a nd you have the Blu-ray as standard. Putting a HD-DVD in this new SKU as standard would be a disaster IMO, seeing as it probably wouldnt even be used for games.

Absolutely. Launching first gave MS some advantages, but this new SKU would be an admission of both their rush job, and the technical inferiority of their current SKU's.
Because of the inclusion of HDMI out and a larger hard drive? What are the technical breakthroughs that will only be available on this new SKU?

Because of the inclusion of HDMI out and a larger hard drive? What are the technical breakthroughs that will only be available on this new SKU?

Not including HDMI as standard was a huge mistake. Luckily for MS, right now many people are underestimating its significance. But as HDTV penetration increases, it'll become a much bigger issue. Also, while the Core system may be at a low price, not having a HDD as standard in all 360's outweighs any of its benefits in the long-run.

Bringing out a new SKU so soon in 360's life, (even a Limited Edition) version, just reinforces the stereotype of MS being obsessed with hardware/software revisions.

Not including HDMI as standard was a huge mistake. Luckily for MS, right now many people are underestimating its significance. But as HDTV penetration increases, it'll become a much bigger issue.
I've never understood this; will component go away any time soon? I've got two high def sets, neither one hooked up by HDMI. The only time I'll switch is when I'm forced to because of DRM issues.
Also, while the Core system may be at a low price, not having a HDD as standard in all 360's outweighs any of its benefits in the long-run.
This one has been done to death, but so far no one has shown a HDD to be a real benefit in gaming consoles, either for the manufacturer or for gamers. It certainly shows up as a checkmark on a feature list, so perhaps that's enough to sway users to pick one console over another, especially in the short term. But a console sells more in its later life when it goes sub-$200 anyway, so the short-term isn't important in that regard.
Bringing out a new SKU so soon in 360's life, (even a Limited Edition) version, just reinforces the stereotype of MS being obsessed with hardware/software revisions.
I can see this point, even if I disagree with it purely based on gut instinct. The problem I have with an updated "black" sku is that it does nothing to re-design the unit; in other words, it doesn't go far enough.

Not including HDMI as standard was a huge mistake.

No, launching in '05 was pretty much what MS had to do. That means ho HDMI 1.3.

Luckily for MS, right now many people are underestimating its significance.

I would say you are overestimating the significance for HDMI. HDMI has virtually no significance for a game player. As a media playback device it can have some significance going forward, but certainly nothing right now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...HDMI for the 360 won't be particularly important until the box starts being bundled with IPTV services. (Assuming this does happen.)

Also, while the Core system may be at a low price, not having a HDD as standard in all 360's outweighs any of its benefits in the long-run.

Cost benefit?

That's like saying PS3 bringing out new on-line services (Home) so early in it's life just reinforces the stereotype of Sony being obsessed with on-line presence.

In other words: "Huh?"

All that's important for MS, is to make sure that ALL 360s (every SKU) can play every game. As long as the core 360 can play every game that any other SKU can play....everthing else is just an "option."

Yeah but I'm also looking at HDCP which will require HDMI-component wont do will it? I imagine it'll come around sooner than most expect, and surely that'll mess with MS's IPTV plans.

Also, despite what anyone says, HDMI is still superior to component (and it still offers a superior picture quality for game players). I just think MS could have stretched to including it. Not including it just gives PS3 another differentiator, one that will surely be magnified as time moves on.

Yeah but I'm also looking at HDCP which will require HDMI-component wont do will it? I imagine it'll come around sooner than most expect, and surely that'll mess with MS's IPTV plans.

Also, despite what anyone says, HDMI is still superior to component (and it still offers a superior picture quality for game players). I just think MS could have stretched to including it. Not including it just gives PS3 another differentiator, one that will surely be magnified as time moves on.
HDMI supports HDCP but as a consumer and gamer, I don't care. In terms of IPTV, I'm not sure why I care about that either, unless there's some spec somewhere that says IPTV is HDCP protected.

Saying HDMI is superior to component is ambiguous without some context: it delivers more resolution? Suffers less color loss? Less noise? I have had both a Blu-ray and HD DVD player hooked up to a 50 inch plasma through component, and from under 1 meter away the image is close to flawless (in some cases, your mileage may vary, etc etc).

Though to be perfectly fair, I have not tried either through HDMI, so perhaps that would be even better. But from where I'm at, it's not just "good enough", but "great enough".

HDMI supports HDCP but as a consumer and gamer, I don't care. In terms of IPTV, I'm not sure why I care about that either, unless there's some spec somewhere that says IPTV is HDCP protected.

Saying HDMI is superior to component is ambiguous without some context: it delivers more resolution? Suffers less color loss? Less noise? I have had both a Blu-ray and HD DVD player hooked up to a 50 inch plasma through component, and from under 1 meter away the image is close to flawless (in some cases, your mileage may vary, etc etc).

Though to be perfectly fair, I have not tried either through HDMI, so perhaps that would be even better. But from where I'm at, it's not just "good enough", but "great enough".

The clear advantage HDMI has over component is the ability to pass HD audio for HD-DVD and BR movies. Other than that, i've switched my cable box and HD-DVD between component and HDMI and i defy anyone to reliably tell the difference when seated at a normal viewing distance (or even closer).

Also, my cable box spits out all its HD over component so i dont know why IPTV would be any different.

Given that nearly all HD sources (set-top boxes, consoles, etc) have component output, I'd wager you're wrong. Component output just isn't much of a threat to piracy now because there's a dearth of recording devices with HD component input. As long as Microsoft is in full control of the content that XB360 recieves, and the software isn't hacked so that people can copy it, there's nothing for content distributors to worry about.

In a way, digital streams over DVI/HDMI and MPEG streams over Firewire and ATSC have made component capture nearly useless for the consumer. There's also too many devices out there without HDCP, so there's a cost in mandating it but no real benefit.

When it gets cheap and important, MS can just add it to every XBox they make. What is Sony going to say then? Buy an HDMI equipped PS3 because XB360 previously lacked HDMI?

But because you dont care, it doesnt mean that thousands of others also dont care. Also, its clear that MS and Sony are planning to release a great deal of HD content through the PS Network.

With regards to HDMI, it will soon be the de-facto standard for HD content. By possibly releasing yet another peripheral fo the 360, MS is playing catch-up, and charging its gamers for something that should have been there in the first place-as if the Wi-fi adapters and hard drives arent expensive enough. It also negates MS prices advantage.

With regards to HDMI, it will soon be the de-facto standard for HD content. By possibly releasing yet another peripheral fo the 360, MS is playing catch-up...

I'm pretty sure you won't see a peripheral. Wait for it in the next revision of the box, which won't take long IMHO.

Who cares anyway, at this moment in time? .001%? Big deal.

I'm pretty sure you won't see a peripheral. Wait for it in the next revision of the box, which won't take long IMHO.

Who cares anyway, at this moment in time? .001%? Big deal.

i do. after looking at component vs hdmi comparisons, there is 0% chance i will use component. it will have to be HDMI. it is standard for me now :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back