Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this 'Elite' version will take over the Premium? When is this likely to happen?

I did some research on HDMI, and the fact that MS has decided to include it in their end top-end machine vindicates what I was saying about how they should have had HDMI from the start. Quite an about-turn from MS, who were previously claiming that HDMI and 1080p "werent needed". I guess since 360 is being positioned as a multimedia hub, MS saw that it was neccessary for to include it for uncompressed audio and IPTV (which will require HDMI due to DRM). My friends also tell me that currently around only 10-15% of 1080p televisions support 1080p over component.

I'm glad that MS have finally caught on, however, its really bad that if you want to play 1080p films on your 360, it will cost $679 in total. Plus, $179 for a 120GB HDD is ridiculous, and shows the PS3 to be better value, particularly the 20GB version. I cant really get past the idea that MS is playing catch-up in this regard despite its price advantage.

If this price is correct and the spec is correct as well then I would agree, MS is providing poor value.

So this 'Elite' version will take over the Premium? When is this likely to happen?

There was talk that it would happen in Fall '07 (Sep to Nov).

Quite an about-turn from MS, who were previously claiming that HDMI and 1080p "werent needed".

I don't recall the context of that statement, but I certainly would agree if they were talking about games.

I did some research on HDMI, and the fact that MS has decided to include it in their end top-end machine vindicates what I was saying about how they should have had HDMI from the start. Quite an about-turn from MS, who were previously claiming that HDMI and 1080p "werent needed". I guess since 360 is being positioned as a multimedia hub, MS saw that it was neccessary for to include it for uncompressed audio and IPTV (which will require HDMI due to DRM). My friends also tell me that currently around only 10-15% of 1080p televisions support 1080p over component.

I'm glad that MS have finally caught on, however, its really bad that if you want to play 1080p films on your 360, it will cost $679 in total. Plus, $179 for a 120GB HDD is ridiculous, and shows the PS3 to be better value, particularly the 20GB version. I cant really get past the idea that MS is playing catch-up in this regard despite its price advantage.

IPTV will need HDMI(HDCP) as much as your Cable box needs it now for High def content. (IE not at all)

It sucks that MS would come out with a box that has HDMI and not offer the existing owners an upgrade path. But that is probably the price of coming out in 2005.

It sucks IF MS would come out with a box that has HDMI and not offer the existing owners an HDMI path. But that is probably the price of coming out in 2005.

fixed ;)

ie, we don't know anything yet and I don't consider HDMI an upgrade, but I get your point. :smile:

I did some research on HDMI, and the fact that MS has decided to include it in their end top-end machine vindicates what I was saying about how they should have had HDMI from the start.

To the contrary, the fact MS has sold 10million units, and is the WW market leader vindicates their decision not to include it in the first place. It obviously had little to no impact, as expected.

As for the about-face, you are not remembering their comments correctly. They said they will offer HDMI when the time is right.

IPTV will need HDMI(HDCP) as much as your Cable box needs it now for High def content. (IE not at all)

It sucks that MS would come out with a box that has HDMI and not offer the existing owners an upgrade path. But that is probably the price of coming out in 2005.

But DRM issues will require that you have HDMI at some point in the future if you want to watch HD content.

Personally, I think this is an unneccessay upgrade. I think MS wold have been better launching later to be honest. Look at its sales figures-they're far from amazing. An install base of around 8.5m, with the Wii doing half of that in 3 months. What MS need to remember is that the console war is a marathon and not a sprint. Thats why its important to offer the whole pakage from the beginning. People become cynical when they see numerous upgrades and add-ons appearing every few months.

Will this upgrade mean a flood of second-hand 360's eventually hitting the market?

But DRM issues will require that you have HDMI at some point in the future if you want to watch HD content.

It's looking more and more like that 'point' will be around the same time that PS3's and 360's are <$150, and standalone BR players $50.

Will this upgrade mean a flood of second-hand 360's eventually hitting the market?

No, because you're VASTLY overstating the consumer appeal of HDMI. People buy consoles for games, their games look awesome using VGA or Component, end of story for 9/10 people.

No, because you're VASTLY overstating the consumer appeal of HDMI. People buy consoles for games, their games look awesome using VGA or Component, end of story for 9/10 people.

Or perhaps MS is overtstating the mulitmedia abilities of 360. For starters, ALL 360's should have been shipped with a HDD, mouse/keyboard support and this SKU should really have wi-fi, especially for that price.

As time moves on, HDMI will become a bigger factor. Thing is, you may say that its not a big factor for gamers, but I forsee many people looking at this new 360 and saying "you know what, I may aswell get a 20GB PS3, which is only $20 more and get a Blu-ray drive aswell and just buy myself a third-party HDD for a relative pittance, as when its needed".

I'm not pot-shotting, but MS is trying to feel a gap in the market. But the problem is this "Elite" model just doesnt cut it. At $400 it would be acceptable, but it doesnt look like its gonna be does it?

QFT

Personally, I think this is an unneccessay upgrade. I think MS wold have been better launching later to be honest. Look at its sales figures-they're far from amazing. An install base of around 8.5m, with the Wii doing half of that in 3 months. What MS need to remember is that the console war is a marathon and not a sprint. Thats why its important to offer the whole pakage from the beginning. People become cynical when they see numerous upgrades and add-ons appearing every few months.

:???:

They not only established a lead of 8.5m consoles, they also established (quite clearly) dev platform equality. That is far more valuable than a HDMI connection.

Add the fact that cost reductions will enable them to reduce the price this year without inurring as large a loss if they would have launched a year later and the pressure they wer able to apply on Sony and launching early wasn't only the right thing to do, it was a masterstroke.

I suppose we shall see come the end of the generation, but I think a $200 core with GTA4 & Halo3 & Forza2 & (perhaps) PGR4 on the shelf will look pretty compelling this Christmas and IMO will be the turning point this gen. ;)

How this new sku plays into it ... we shall see.

Or perhaps MS is overtstating the mulitmedia abilities of 360. For starters, ALL 360's should have been shipped with a HDD, mouse/keyboard support and this SKU should really have wi-fi, especially for that price.

As time moves on, HDMI will become a bigger factor. Thing is, you may say that its not a big factor for gamers, but I forsee many people looking at this new 360 and saying "you know what, I may aswell get a 20GB PS3, which is only $20 more and get a Blu-ray drive aswell and just buy myself a third-party HDD for a relative pittance, as when its needed".

I'm not pot-shotting, but MS is trying to feel a gap in the market. But the problem is this "Elite" model just doesnt cut it. At $400 it would be acceptable, but it doesnt look like its gonna be does it?

I am pretty sure MS has gone on record for saying the XTS is first and foremost about the games. All the other things are extras and are treated as such. It is a much different atitude than Sony, where the PS3 is billed as a game machine but seen as a multimedia device. (How else can you explain the commercials, that speak nothing of the other functions but games?)

I am pretty sure MS has gone on record for saying the XTS is first and foremost about the games. All the other things are extras and are treated as such. It is a much different atitude than Sony, where the PS3 is billed as a game machine but seen as a multimedia device. (How else can you explain the commercials, that speak nothing of the other functions but games?)

All Sony adverts are like that. Remember the David Lynch/Third Place PS2 adverts?

I think some people consider MS to have this generation wrapped up, but I think they're a long way from achieving that. My feeling is that this new model will cause some bitterness amongst those who have just bought premium versions.

Over here in the UK, the 360 isnt selling that great.

i am not sure if these pictures have been posted before... but i don't really care ;)

ee49cfb6f2ac54e04be3bfefb8de3b27.jpg

40d11d8cb3768cbb0952e0500955d3b6.jpg

897256952888d2614ed853ac5996d3c4.jpg

426e3f4830bafea0ddb219f04adf2cf9.jpg

On last picture you can apparently see 120GB sign if you tilt your monitor :devilish:

Pics from February (though it is not reliable)... it seems they are ready to be sold!

Quite an about-turn from MS, who were previously claiming that HDMI and 1080p "werent needed".

if microsoft delivers over 5% of their content (ie games, movies and trailers on XB360) in 1080p then i would say that microsoft has overdelivered and underpromised, if SCE fails to deliver 95% of contents in 1080p then i would say they overpromised and underdelivered. end of story.

Last edited by a moderator:

The rumor I heard is that "Elite" is a limited edition. I've "heard" that they will be making about 200K units of "Elite". When they run out, the "Elite" design will eventually replace "Premium" (probably with the off-white color).

Not sure when that will be, but I am guessing about the time when the 65-nm process gets deployed toward the end of the year (fall?).

Hong.

Well, I'm not disagreeing that this $480 SKU dilutes MS's message, and is a very questionable strategy. I would MUCH prefer that they simply offer a new revision of 360 w/ HDMI with a simultaneous pricedrop, allow the choice of black/white as a standard feature, and release the 120gb HDD as a peripheral for $80-100, drop the 20gb HDD to $50. Price the Core/Premium at $229/$300.

IMO, that is a much smarter, more aggressive approach that would yield greater results. Instead, they will pinch pennies yet again, and waste another opportunity...colour me surprised.

With that said, it appears the Elite is just a limited release, meaning, it's not going to affect things as you say, because truth is most consumers will never be able to get their hands on one.

And is MS overstating 360's media capabilities? Most certainly yes imo, but not because of lack of HDMI and the 20gb HDD, but because of the weak video streaming support, and no ability to place your own media on the box.

And is MS overstating 360's media capabilities? Most certainly yes imo, but not because of lack of HDMI and the 20gb HDD, but because of the weak video streaming support, and no ability to place your own media on the box.

True but how much could you store on a 20gb? I already run into space issues from downloading demos and game vids. If I were actively DLing movies/shows I'd be quite ready for the 120gb. As it is I'd like a larger drive but I won't pay more than $100 for the convenience.

Agreed on the video streaming limitations, quite annoying and useless. IMO

It should prove interesting if Ms manage to sold out 200 000 units one year and a half after launch ;)

:arrow:

I have a feeling enthusiasts as well as the existing hardcore 360 fans will gulp this Elite SKU up. If they are releasing the rumored 200k units in April until June-Julyish then MS has garnered another 200k or so consoles sold. How much of these sales will eat into Premium sales we don't know.

If I didn't have a 360 already and was deciding between the Premium and Elite the choice would be a tough one. I'd prob go Elite due to larger HDD space, hdmi and rumored quieter benQ drive. :???:

Well, I'm not disagreeing that this $480 SKU dilutes MS's message, and is a very questionable strategy. I would MUCH prefer that they simply offer a new revision of 360 w/ HDMI with a simultaneous pricedrop, allow the choice of black/white as a standard feature, and release the 120gb HDD as a peripheral for $80-100, drop the 20gb HDD to $50. Price the Core/Premium at $229/$300.

IMO, that is a much smarter, more aggressive approach that would yield greater results. Instead, they will pinch pennies yet again, and waste another opportunity...colour me surprised.

With that said, it appears the Elite is just a limited release, meaning, it's not going to affect things as you say, because truth is most consumers will never be able to get their hands on one.

OK I totally agree with this post. See, I was told that this Elite version would be permanent, obviously my source was wrong. But I totally agree with what you say, MS should be looking at price-cuts not more expensive iterations. I presume this version wont be getting released in the UK? Regradless I think I'll wait for the first PS3 price-cut and get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back