Bioware licenses Unreal Engine 3...

This may be really old news, but I was just browsing Bioware's press releases, and back in Sept 2004 they licensed the UE3.

They're also working on 2 unnamed X360 RPG's.

2+2 = 4? I can't wait to see what these guys can turn out using the UE3 engine! Should be amazing.

Straight from my hometown:
-------------------------------------------------------
EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada - September 16, 2004 –

BioWare Corp. and Epic Games today announced a licensure agreement, whereby BioWare will license Epic's Unreal® Engine 3 for use in an upcoming title.

The agreement marks the first time the two companies have collaborated, combining the talents of the premier RPG developer with the premier next-generation engine technology creators. A BioWare development team is already hard at work on the Unreal Engine 3-powered game, an as-yet unannounced title which features BioWare's third new intellectual property.

"We're very happy to license Epic's advanced Unreal Engine 3 technology," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. "One of our development teams will now focus on using Unreal Engine 3 to help us create a great gaming experience in a timely manner. The Unreal Engine has powered some of our favorite games, and we're looking forward to upholding the great history of this engine with an awesome game from BioWare". Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO of BioWare Corp. added, "Meanwhile, BioWare will continue to independently develop our own cutting-edge engine technology for future titles!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to see if I (we) can get an office tour. See what the heck they're up to.

o_O

(I'm a Riverbender, where are you? :p )

A tour of bioware would be too cool,

I work at the UofA, live just north of oliver square....

I'm totally pumped to see what Bioware is cookin, i wish they'd just spill the beans already!

One of em is a new IP, and the other isn't.....hmm Jade Empire 2 for X360?? With a UE3 engine? That would be awesome!

That's kind of odd. Bioware has their own engine in development for Dragon Age that allows insane numbers of characters on screen at once. I guess they'll use the Dragon Age engine when they want a game with huge battle scenes, and Unreal 3 when they want a game that focuses on a small group of characters.

From the sounds of their statement, maybe they took UE3 for expediency.

"One of our development teams will now focus on using Unreal Engine 3 to help us create a great gaming experience in a timely manner"

By going with UE3 they'll be able to get the game done quicker.....

Back