bios flash using a usb drive ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by eastmen, Apr 3, 2008.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Hey guys , I need to update the bios on my mobo for better support with my 3870x2 . However I have no clue how to make a bootable flash drive. Can anyone help or should I just use nero and a cd for this ?

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Check if the motherboard has a built-in flash utility. Then you don't need to boot up on the flash stick at all. For example, the Gigabyte boards have a util built in and you just hit F12 to get into it and it sees files on flash sticks.

To figure out how to make one bootable though, just do some google'ing. There are lots of tutorials.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...icial&hs=2rV&q=bootable+usb+flash&btnG=Search

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Asus has a nice utility that lets you flash the bios from a usb drive from the bios that I've used a number of times successfully. :)

4. Davros

Legend

if you cant flash direct from the bios and do require a boot disk but dont have a floppy drive you can get a bootable cd image here:
    http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-images.html
    copy your new bios onto the cd or another cd if you dont have a fat32 hard drive

ps: if you tell us the make + model of your board we can find out for you

5. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Some of the alternatives people mention are pretty useful. With regards to your original question however, HP's USB tool makes it quite trivial to create a bootable USB environment and I've used it with great success in the past.

6. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Thanks guys , I 've allways used cdr's but I figured why waste them when I can use a flash drive. That hp tool works wonders.

Thank you all again