Bicycle!

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
No, not the Queen song. I finally threw my 1982 Schwinn 10-speed out and I'm now looking for a good exercise bike. I'm just a hair shy of 6' tall, and I'm after something to use around my neighborhood for 5-10 mile jaunts. No trails, no steep hills, just something that's comfortable to ride and doesn't cost two car payments to buy.

I though you were gonna get a Mazda!

I did, picked it up last Wednesday after the sales mgr called me back that night. Got it for $14.7 plus free splash guards for the debacle that the previous night turned into. Slapped the 94 Civic up on Craiglist Sat morning around 8:30 and it was gone by 11:30, title signed over and $500 cash in my pocket.

I work close enough to bike in, but not in this summer's heat + humidity. Don't want to start my work day already pre-drenched in sweat.

Sonoma Men's Chainless Drive Evolution Urban Commuter Bicycle $343.57

518NImYLFsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Schwinn Crest Urban Men's Hybrid Bike (700c Wheels) $282.95

51O1imU51sL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Schwinn Network 7 Men's Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels) - $229.99

51TfbQ1qRfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is that enough to get you started? I'd never heard of a "commuter bike" before I googled it, but I do like their style. That last one looked comfy to me.

I'd go for something with disc breaks and at least a mid-level overall kit. Avoiding the cheapest stuff will save a lot of hassle adjusting gears, cantilevers and with ease of general maintenance. I'd also avoid the kind of big springy-spongy seats like those in the pics digi linked. They're not comfortable in the real world.

I'm not sure what a decent bike costs in the US, but something like this one shouldn't be too far off the $500 mark.

It's probably the wrong time of the year to suggest this, but for a deal on an actually good bike, one should always look for last year's models out of season or just before the new lines hit the stores.

I'd go for something with disc breaks and at least a mid-level overall kit. Avoiding the cheapest stuff will save a lot of hassle adjusting gears, cantilevers and with ease of general maintenance. I'd also avoid the kind of big springy-spongy seats like those in the pics digi linked. They're not comfortable in the real world.
I agree with you on the saddle, but surely, unless you are going to be doing a lot of off-road/mud riding, disc brakes are just added weight for general commuting?

FWIW, colleagues were suggesting that I look at a cyclo-cross style bike (i.e. a toughened racer) as a replacement for my current aging bike.

I agree with you on the saddle, but surely, unless you are going to be doing a lot of off-road/mud riding, disc brakes are just added weight for general commuting?
Safer (well, mostly due to most people's lack of maintenance), easier to maintain, won't make annoying squeal once they go slightly out of alignment, won't leave residue that ruins your all your light-colored clothes...

Personally I find the pros outweigh the cons, even for basic use, but I might not necessarily suggest making it a deal breaker if considering another reasonably specced bike at a good price.

Disc brakes are nicer to adjust as well.

JR try bikesdirect.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/

If you are comfy doing work on a bike. Do you live where it is flat? An internally geared hub might be nice then.

If you buy local it will have maintenance advantages, but I do all my own bike work anyway.

Almost all LBS (local bike shop) will adjust prices, so it is like buying a car kind of annoying, but you can at least show an online price and they might come down some.

I don't have a commuter myself I have these
maverick ML8
kona kikapu
as well as an old klein pulse pro.

I used the kikapu for a commuter since it was cheap used ($400) and I could not find a better option at the time. I am giving it away though and going to build up a commuter probably.

Almost all LBS (local bike shop) will adjust prices, so it is like buying a car kind of annoying, but you can at least show an online price and they might come down some.
:oops:

Man, that Maverick ML8 costs more than most of the cars I've owned in my lifetime! :oops:

That is why I buy used bikes Digi, new ones are too expensive. If you know how to work on them yourself you can save a boat load of money. The depreciation is even faster than cars. I got the ML8 for <1k.

I want a new bike for exercise, not commuting. Not sure where commute stuff got introduced into the thread. I blame Diggie. :D

My left knee doesn't let me run anymore, and I get tired of using ellipticals at the gym. So wanting a new bike for variation to my cardio routine.

I want a new bike for exercise, not commuting. Not sure where commute stuff got introduced into the thread. I blame Diggie. :D

My left knee doesn't let me run anymore, and I get tired of using ellipticals at the gym. So wanting a new bike for variation to my cardio routine.

Yeah well digi deserves blame as he has copped to it. You can also get a trainer for any old bike and set that in front of your TV, but they are pretty darn loud. Performance bike has a pretty decent one for cheap (you have to have the old bike to stick in it though).

I think you could get a really nice bike for what you describe from bikes direct as I mentioned. Compare the specs to what you have in a local bike shop. You said "new," but if you meant modern instead of unused then you can obviously get a used bike as well for a significant savings from craigslist, ebay etc...

Back