Bias lighting for HDTV

So I have a 46" Sony XBR4 LCD TV, I'm interested in getting some kind of bias lighting for it as I play a lot of games in the dark (and watch all movies in the dark as well).

I know Antec has a LED lighting strip for monitors:
http://store.antec.com/Product/soundscience/bias-lighting/0-761345-77020-0.aspx

But apparently the LEDs have a colour temperature of 5500 K not the 6500K which is the reference temp for film and other video content and which my set is calibrated to.

Does anyone know of a similar system that has the correct colour temperature?

Ars wrote an article (blurb, really) about this, but for computer monitors. You might find something useful in their comments, though. Maybe even consider a "daylight" CFL in a cheap lamp (dunno if a shade will affect color temp or just soften the light) behind the TV.

Funnily, I read that article on Ars and which is why I'm here:smile:

Pity the ambx thing only works for PCs.

Ideally i'd want something like the Antec strips but with correct colour temperature lighting.

Heh. I don't mean to drive you back there, just giving you further reading while backlighting B3Ders gather their thoughts. :)

Does the color of the bias lighting--or any room lighting, really--affect the picture, if the lighting is sufficiently dim relative to the screen? I mean, does it affect one's color or contrast perception? Or do you just like 6500K lights better?

Yes, a lower colour temperature like the 5500k for the Antec lights will make the image look warmer and make my display shift further away from the 6500k reference.

So my buddy is getting the 64in Samsung PN-D8000 for Christmas. Yes he is loaded.

We watch Blu-rays on it mostly at night in a dark room, and I'm thinking with a setup that nice we might as well spring from some bias lighting. Anybody have some experience with this sort of thing? Despite all my experience with home theatre equipment, I am in the dark :)yes:) when it comes to bias lighting.
I could ask the guys at the local bestbuy about it, but I could also shoot myself in the dick if I wanted to experience that kind of pain and suffering.

Money is hardly an obstacle, but we don't want to go spending more than ~$100 if it isn't totally necessary.

Thanks.

I could ask the guys at the local bestbuy about it, but I could also shoot myself in the dick
Reading of the high regard you hold the staff at Best Buy makes me giggle.

I dunno science and stuff on this matter, but I hung two ordinary lamp holders (just a socket on an electrical cord, with a plastic loop to hook it up on something) behind my set of computer monitors. I screwed in a set of warm-white Osram low-wattage LED bulbs in the sockets, one at 1.6W and the other is 2W. Total cost was maybe $15 or so for the cords and the bulbs.

Not sure it really makes a difference, but I pretend it does. :) Both my monitors are quite bright and have black bezels, and there's a book shelf right above them creating shadows, so some ambient light may reduce eye strain. I dunno, maybe it works and maybe it's pointless. Hard to say.

Back