BF2142 Retail Release Today !?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Riptides, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Riptides

Newcomer

It looks like some are getting it today on the retail level, but many shipments went out late so more should start having it available tomorrow and be widely available by the weekend. The people that pre-ordered to get the game via online downloader may have to wait until the 20th or 21st at the latest because of issues both with EAs master(stats) server and so they can push out their patch on the downloader to install directly after the game. The patch appears to fix one issue.
    People are kicking and screaming about this at the usual fansites because those who ponied up early so they could "Get the game the moment it is available" and "Play the Demo early" are now having to wait a bit longer to get the game. There's also the issue of after you install the game and patch it you may have to remove a Microsoft Security update to be able to play.

It's no help that Slashdot is saying that EA has put spy-ware in the BF2142 game. Which is not much more than FUD piece about them putting Ads in the game, which has been news previously, numerous times. And while you are waiting, if you are waiting, might I suggest the article The Top 13 Reasons why One gamer isn't going to be buying this game.

Some reply emails from people inquiring about digital downloads they pre-ordered:

#1 Riptides, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  2. ZoinKs!

Regular

Who could've predicted they'd mess it up again?

Man, this is awesome. I'm not dumb enough to throw more money down the EA/Dice abyss but I'll get tons of entertainment by watching the train wreck.

In game ads with spyware, mandating security holes (maybe these first two are related, hmmm...), EULA inside the box saying if you don't like the ads + monitoring don't play or install the game, issues with downloads, and who knows what else... all on top of a game that many say is more of a mod of bf2 then a new game.

This'll be one for the ages. :)

3. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Well, it's a comfort that if you don't want to suffer from the spy/adware stuff and unplug your ethernet cable, you're not going to be plagued by any remote code execution stuff either! :D

...Except of course, some day you'll probably want to stop playing the game and start using teh intarwebs again, which means you'll be plugging the connector back in again - D'OH! :lol:

4. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Oh yes, I could not have said it better. Train Wreck...the perfect description :smile:

Though...likening it to the Death Star in it's final minute as Lando rapes it from within would probably be a tad more accurate :wink:

5. L233

Veteran

I let myself being suckered into another BF purchase... and I like it. BF 2142 is intensely fun, despite the flaws. Titan mode rocks, yes, it's laggy as hell but it's a ton of fun. Plus, I dig the SciFi scenario.

I love the new weapons, especially the airburst grenades from the assault kit (great for taking out snipers). I love how they revamped the classes and how the new unlock system works. It's definately more fun than BF2. Another great change is being able to spawn on transports even when your squad commanders isn't on board. The new squad respawn mechanics are pretty powerful, too, if used correctly.

Tons of great changes... tank turrent guns are finally useful, so are anti-air guns. The newbie-fied air vehicles make the game more dynamic (air transport is being used much more frequently now). The weapons seem pretty balanced.

There are, of course, the usual nitpicks but so far I like it a lot more than BF2 and I don't regret spending €50 on it. It's definately more than just a glorified mod. IMO the best BF so far.

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

This game might not be my cup-o-tea, but I was pretty impressed by how it looked.

7. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Do you mean artistically? Or do you mean to say you like the way BF2 looks? From the time I spent with 2142, it looked like nothing more than BF2 with a strangely hazy bloom filter applied. But there was the occasional moment where I saw a nice view of a valley or such with the sun shining down over the snow.

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I liked how the vehicles you can use look, how the soldiers look, and how the weapons look....that's all I've gotten out of the game watching it over my son's shoulder while he plays.

9. L233

Veteran

After playing for a couple of days now, I can say that BF1942's biggest problem is retards. Retards can ruin your game.

- Retards punish you for every god damn unintentional team kill (it seems NOT punishing is now the exception, used to be the other way round)

- Retards stupidly eject from the air transport while you are trying to land, get squished (nothing the pilot can do) and punish the pilot for the TK. I've given up piloting air transports because the damn retards make YOU raking in the team kills. I've lost more than 60 points in one round because of that the other night.

- Retards apparently are too retarded to notice the pile of dynamite on the reactor console and keep standing close to it. So when you're finally forced to blow it up because enemies are shooting at you from all sides and because it's what you have to do to win the round, you blow up a bunch of retards as well. And of course, you get punished again.

- Retards jump in front of your buggy or tank, get run over and punish you for the TK

- Reards run into your frag grenade and punish you for the TK

- Retards unintentionally shoot at you, you shoot back out of reflex and kill them, they punish you for the TK

- Retards make a useless suicide charge into a pack of enemies but happen to die because of the artillery strike the commander has called in and they punish the commander for TK

- Retards strafe in front of you while you're firing your heavy machine gun and punish you for the TK

- Retards use air transports as personal taxies, are too retarded to notice that people can now spawn in transports in BF 2142, then they eject when they are at their destination and let the transport and the other 5 guys in it crash

- Retards repeatedly fly the air transport straight at the enemy Titan despite being shot down by their AA guns over and over again

- Retards man the artillery stations of your Titan despite the fact that the enemy has destroyed all reactor consoles and is now destroying the reactor core

Needless to say, I hate retards. I love the game but the retards sometimes affect your enjoyment so badly that you want to take the DVD and hurl it agains the wall, along with your computer. Retards can be very frustrating. I wish software developers can one day come up with some sort of heuristic anti-retard algorithm that bans all retards from the game forever.

#9 L233, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
    BRiT likes this.
  10. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I hate the game already

11. L233

Veteran

No, no... the game is fine. Hate the retards, not the game!

12. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Nnoooooo...the game is crap. It's fine to hate it, but one should definitely hate the retards playing because they're the ones funding this trash over and over. :wink:

BRiT likes this.
  13. thegrommit

Newcomer

There's a "fix" for that patch: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924867/

Why is it needed? Because certain programs are affected:

Are EA asking people to uninstall a patch that breaks their copy protection scheme? Who knows? They're too busy shovelling adware to answer.

BRiT likes this.
  14. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

The last EA game I bought was C&C Generals, and I doubt I will buy another one anytime soon, especially one from the Betafield series.