Beyond3D's average post quality

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I do know that Dave benchmarks peoples posts against the forum average posts and I'm wandering if there is any chance we can get a list of people who are below the average poster?

BTW am I on the average, below it or above it?

Should admins use a star system to rate people if they do something undesirable?

Everyone starts off with 5 stars, then for example if I post spoilers to a movie in my sig Reverend gets so pissed at me that he minuses a rating off me. Which means I really done something wrong. Then when Reverend becomes not so angry he can then tell me what I've done wrong.

Sometimes the most obvious of things elude me. :oops:

Then the forum code can (on a daily basis) take an average of every members stars (on a condition that the member has a post count over 5 and they have posted within a certain time).

The star system can be activated on members with more than 5 posts.

That's a system we can use to determine average forum post quality. Then we cna all benchmark ourselves accordingly.

What does everyone think?

Sweet. Bring back the rec-whores...

Since 1902...

Humus said:
Well, that's just quantity, not quality.
Interesting, I'm no. 17. Didn't think I was that high up on the list. Joe DeFuria on the top didn't surprice though. ;) Joe and Dave really outperforms the rest on the post count side.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/memberlist.php
Bah, all Joe ever posts are his industry-politics-according-to-him ... that's not quality, it's, well, opiniated politics.

What's a "quality post" at Beyond3D anyway, I wonder.... posts about why IHVs do what they do, or what their hardware actually does technically?

Reverend said:
What's a "quality post" at Beyond3D anyway, I wonder.... posts about why IHVs do what they do, or what their hardware actually does technically?

Technical discussion obviously.

Why do I have a feeling that I'm purposely being ignored? :?

You guys think I'm annnoying or something? If you do feel that I'm annoying, please tell me to shut up. It's much nicer than ignoring me.

Thanks

Quality review would just be impossible, with the amount of posts on the entire forum. And i don't think anyone would really care enough.
Public quality review (as in: we rate everyone the way we want) is too open to personal preferences in my opinion.

On a side note: i'm 7th!! :LOL:

"Qualatitive" posts are very hard to judge, and there certainly is no way of doing it here. Some forums have "Recommendation" features that allows other users to recomment the post, other have a plus/minus user rating that can be voted on by other users - often though these tend to end up just representing which f@nboys recommended another f@nboy!

The forum we are looking to move to when they have been fully developed (phpBB2.2) have the ability to have a +/-5 user rating (and you can even select you own threshold such that you can ignore users below a certain rating) but we don't know if we'd switch this on.

There's no answer to your question K.I.L.E.R.

If we say that a quality poster is someone with a high ratio of good post (good posts/toatl posts) then someone with only 1 post might have a 100% ratio...

Do you come in here to get a social recognition on the boards ?
I hope you don't, that's something you're unlikely to get.

Nah, I'm just worried that maybe I'm one of the annoying people that Dave doesn't like being around here. I do try to be funny at times but I never intend to annoy or pee off anyone. Unfortunately it does happen and I would like to know if there is a need for me to pull my socks up or not. Hence why I ask.

Social recognition on these boards is something to avoid.

DaveBaumann said:
The forum we are looking to move to when they have been fully developed (phpBB2.2) have the ability to have a +/-5 user rating (and you can even select you own threshold such that you can ignore users below a certain rating) but we don't know if we'd switch this on.
I think you answered your own question in the first paragraph--it would simply become The F@nboy Ratings War.

K.I.L.E.R (please... can you lose the periods in your nick? It's extremely triublesome typing it! :) ), you're being paranoid or you just need to know whether you suck or not. On the latter, you don't. So stop being paranoid! :)

There are those (i.e. those that post quite regularly) that I don't particularly enjoy reading their posts but you're not one of them.

K.I.L.E.R said:
What are you two talking about? :oops: :?

What's a rec-whore?

We're talking about experiences on The Motley Fool discussion forums, mostly from the TDFX and NVDA realms. It's been a few years, mostly '99 to '01; until they went with a pay-to-use model in '02.

Rec-whore is short for recomendation whore. TMF had a scoring system for posts. It was fashionable for people to try to have as high a rec-to-post ratio as possible. Usually, it was accomplished through inclusions of cheap in-line jokes.

Back