Beyond Good & Evil

What's up with Ubisoft? Usually I don't touch their games with the proverbial bargepole, but this Christmas they've brought out some really good games. First XIII, then Prince Of Persia, and now Beyond Good & Evil, another console-ish cross platform third person action-adventure.

It's a very pretty game, reminding me somewhat of the surreal style of Giants: Citizen Kabuto, but where it really wins is in the storytelling and large world. It's obviously modelled partly on those Japanese third person adventures, but the gameplay reminds me a lot of GTA: Vice City. There are constantly lots of things to do in order to make money, upgrade your kit, follow the storyline, etc, along with combat and sneaking around in the shadows thrown in. It's a really well thought out, polished piece of work, with nice characters, great sound, good visuals, and above all some really morish gameplay.

Ubisoft is definitely one of the premier developers out there today.

Rayman (especially no.2) Splinter Cell, XIII, Prince of Persia, BG&E.. I'm sold.

I first took note of Ubisoft back in ~1996 with the release of POD and SpeedBusters. POD is probably my all-time favorite arcade PC racing game....

Anyhow, I just got done with this game - the seamless and natural transitions from in-game action to cutscenes, and the appropriate changes in music, etc. are great. The overall presentation of the game is extremely polished; I think that other game developers need to take note of this game.

Also, while of the topic of presentation, the depth-of-field/radial blur/motion blur/etc. effects are excellent. Unlike other games that utilize "accumulation buffer"-type post processing effects, the effects appear to be performed at the current screen resolution (as opposed to rendering to a lower-resolution texture and post-processing, giving a pixelated appearance), which is something that I've really hoped to see in upcoming games.

As far as I know (and that is not much), this game achieves it's notable stylistic appearance using nothing beyond functionality available with a Geforce 1/2 card (from what I've heard, and 3DAnalyze v2.31 failed to capture any shaders). Sometimes, I wonder why game developers have been so reluctant to employ such features in their games.

Pit_Viper said:
As far as I know (and that is not much), this game achieves it's notable stylistic appearance using nothing beyond functionality available with a Geforce 1/2 card (from what I've heard, and 3DAnalyze v2.31 failed to capture any shaders).

Definitely, as it runs without visual errors on my notebook (GF4Go 440). Sadly graphics and sound are badly out of sync in the cutscenes, although the game runs at an acceptable framerate. Turning of HW vertex processing alleviates the problem (i.e. sync problems appear later), but FPS drop to single digits...

Necro'd because beyond good and evil is free untill the end of the month
its a classic game
https://club.ubisoft.com/en-GB/ubi30

since its not worth starting another thread
Telltale Games has announced that the first episode of Batman – The Telltale Series is now available for free for a limited time. PC gamers can head over to the game’s Steam store page and download the first episode for free until November 7th

Last edited:
Back