Beyond Good & Evil

I played the Demo for PC and thought it looked fantastic.
I played the Demo for PS2 and thought it looked great.
I just purchased the Full Version fog GC and havent touched it yet.
Just how do all the different versions differ. Is it a console port to pc or viceversa.
This also applies to POP.

Well, PS2 and GC BGE were developped quite simultaneously, with PS2 version being the primary one and the GC following closely. The Xbox and PC versions were ported over by another team, and the porting was done during the late part of the project.
Data wise, they're all nearly identical, and all the specifics (dashboard, TRC...) were done around the same time.
I'd say xbox version is the best, with the most consistent framerate, no visible texture compression at all (vs. texture reduction on PS2 and 16bits display on GC) and a suitable control scheme (vs. Mouse+Keyboard on PC).
On the other hand, since each version has a specific implementation of the water effect, I tend to prefer the way it looks on GC :)

KiP said:
Well, PS2 and GC BGE were developped quite simultaneously, with PS2 version being the primary one and the GC following closely. The Xbox and PC versions were ported over by another team, and the porting was done during the late part of the project.
Data wise, they're all nearly identical, and all the specifics (dashboard, TRC...) were done around the same time.
I'd say xbox version is the best, with the most consistent framerate, no visible texture compression at all (vs. texture reduction on PS2 and 16bits display on GC) and a suitable control scheme (vs. Mouse+Keyboard on PC).
On the other hand, since each version has a specific implementation of the water effect, I tend to prefer the way it looks on GC :)

I guess the Xbox version is on par with the PC version, in which case i'll consider getting it for PC one day or another...

That would be a best case scenario.
Actually, the PC version has a control scheme that just does not fit the game, IMO.
Besides, I don't know what's the current state, but when it was released, it had several serious stability and compatibility issues.
I'd recommend any console version over it.

Thanks guys, and yeah I started playing it on GC and it looks great except maybe for the grassy bits and the water at stages sems like it is software rendered (only for a little while).
The PC version I feel was best though. It just gave it a cinematic depth that the GC is strugling to do. (either that or my framerate was about as low as film standard 24fps)

KiP said:
That would be a best case scenario.
Actually, the PC version has a control scheme that just does not fit the game, IMO.
Besides, I don't know what's the current state, but when it was released, it had several serious stability and compatibility issues.
I'd recommend any console version over it.

Or at the very least get a Logitech controller and use their game mapper utility.

Back