Beyond Good & Evil 2 Revealed (post #14)

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Rejoice! The excellent B G&E might get a sequel despite rather lacklustre sales.

According to Jeux Video B G&E 2 has in preproduction for over 1 year. It is currently in the planning stages and it has yet to be green-lighted by Ubi.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very sad the beautiful artful games don't sell as much as the blood/guts variety. Maybe the lack of marketing had something to do with it?

It would be nice, but the first one was a financial bomb, though IIRC.

yeah, that year saw a pretty atrocious pre-Christmas sales period for Ubi. Both of their supposed flagship titles (PoP - The Warrior Within and B G&E) did really badly. IIRC they had to lower prices by 20 EUR just barely two weeks after the release because the sales were that far behind their initial projections.

I loved Beyond Good & Evil! It's a real pity when games like this don't sell. Unfortunately it seems like the vast majority of gamers (like all people) prefer the summer blockbusters of gaming industry: Halo, GoW etc.

I loved Beyond Good & Evil! It's a real pity when games like this don't sell. Unfortunately it seems like the vast majority of gamers (like all people) prefer the summer blockbusters of gaming industry: Halo, GoW etc.
The vast majority don't. The largest single selling games are those titles, but they are only a fraction of all gamers. No game out there this gen has sold to a majority of its platform. Even Wii sports is around 50% uptake. There are loads of gamers that like racers, sports, etc. as well. Games like FFX, Kingdom Hearts, and Crash Bandicoot have outsold other mainstream games on the same platform, so it's clear gamers aren't one-track-minded gore fanatics. Move past the few Statistical anomaly titles that show 'everyone's a wannabe thug' or 'everyone's a waggle-lovin' sports fanatic' and the full libraries show diverse tastes and complex, unpredictable buying habits that make developer/publisher choices very hard.

According to the 1up yours podcast, a team of around 10-12 people have been working on it for a year, figuring out what kind of game it should be. Or something. I hope they go for it! Although I never played the original very far into the game I have to admit.

yeah, that year saw a pretty atrocious pre-Christmas sales period for Ubi. Both of their supposed flagship titles (PoP - The Warrior Within and B G&E) did really badly. IIRC they had to lower prices by 20 EUR just barely two weeks after the release because the sales were that far behind their initial projections.

It wasn't the warrior within, it was the original PoP that did badly. (well, original modern update, discounting the dreamcast update)
Warrior Within did quite well off of the hype of PoP. It seems consumers will recognize a game as critically acclaimed, but will just wait for the sequel if they don't hear about it when it first comes out. I think the same thing happened for Halo to an extent, with Halo 2 outselling Halo 1.

Warrior Within's success probably had more to do with the screenshots showing off blood and thongs and the hype about the "free-form fighting," as opposed to the original PoP, which had the word "fairy tale" frequently associated with it and was reputed to have a somewhat dull fighting system.

WRT PoP... if you're not an informed gamer (ie, you don't read reviews or whatnot) I imagine you'd be more likely to pick up a game called "The Warrior Within" over "The Sands of Time". It's a shame since it was a generally poor game that discarded most of the original's charm. Plus, at least over here, by the time word began to spread about just how awesome the game was, it was already off the shelf and in the bargain bin. I picked it up for $AUD25 (1/4 price) a month after launch.

Ubi apparently has no time for non-instant hits :(

If this is really in-game engine, they seem to take Assassin's Creed's engine to the next level... I wonder if this is from a PC version.. The texture quality and lighting is amazing. Too good to be true!

It's more a presentation of the existence of the game without worrying about real in-game constraints .
In engine ,sure ,but most of the detail is there because the set is a rather empty desert.
(Keep in mind the first halo3 teaser.)

Might even be rendered offline .

There won't be that much concentated detail in the pig once really in game.
Id' bet they didn't even started pre-production yet,or are barely in.

Back