Beyond Good and Evil 2

Bullvid, aka prerendered vid using in-engine assets (Assassins Creed engine?) with extreme AA, AF, prerendered animations, perfect framerate, tons of post processing effects and physics.
It's purpose is identical to the 05 Killzone2 CG, to simulate an in-gameplay scene with mo-capped animations and "touched" graphics.

Bullvid, aka prerendered vid using in-engine assets (Assassins Creed engine?) with extreme AA, AF, prerendered animations, perfect framerate, tons of post processing effects and physics.
It's purpose is identical to the 05 Killzone2 CG, to simulate an in-gameplay scene with mo-capped animations and "touched" graphics.

While the events of the trailer seem scripted, it shows some graphical glitches normally found in realtime, like the "layered" motion blur (think MT Framework) and the pixelated shadow maps. Plus they already show a realtime trailer before and it looked fantastic.

Whatever the case maybe, I'm already excited.

The first game didn't garner much attention, untill after Ubisoft announced figures and considered it a failure.

That said, gameplay looks like a mix of Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, with a little bit of that Ancel flavor (wierd creatures, busting into a toilet in use, those gyroscope vehichles). They really focused on the atmosphere on this one.

The lack of LOD pop up is enough to convince me that it's a pre-rendered CG. I don't think the small visual glitches here and there would suffice a real time clip at all especially after the forensic investigation of KZ's 2005 CGI. I wouldn't be surprised though if the ingame stuff look close to the trailer but with far less smooth animation.

No. Way too much detail, variety and quality. Either CGI cutscene or concept render IMO.
Variety? Lots of models are recycled. The video quality is not good enough to check detail.And as for quality, this is Ancel's team we're talkinga bout ;)

The lack of LOD pop up is enough to convince me that it's a pre-rendered CG.
With the amount of motion blur and chaotic camera work it's impossible to asssess that. Plus the environments are pretty closed and there's not that much going on screen at once.

I don't think the small visual glitches here and there would suffice a real time clip at all especially after the forensic investigation of KZ's 2005 CGI. I wouldn't be surprised though if the ingame stuff look close to the trailer but with far less smooth animation.
It may very well be a realtime cutscene. Also, it's possible it's footage from the PC version.

quality is a bit low, my guess is that's a realtime cutscene, does not look way better than RE5 or killzone 2 cutscenes. Maybe a realtime cutscene with QTEs, but they removed the button input for the video ? Anyway we'll get answers at E3

I'm very looking forward to seeing more, the first one was great!
This is probably a concept vid. If they get close to this it's going to be great!!!

The jaggy shadows suggest an on-target rendering engine. Whether it's realtime is another matter. Could be frames rendered at slightly slower than realtime and strung together.

Haven't heard anything about this game in a long while, in the meantime though the original is getting a rerelease on xbl and PSN sometime next yr:

http://kotaku.com/5651856/

Beyond Good & Evil, one of the best (and yet under-appreciated) games of the previous hardware generation, is to receive a well-deserved re-release in high definition, Ubisoft has revealed.

It won't just be a quick and dirty cash-in, though; level textures and character models are being improved, it'll run at 1080p and the game's score is also being improved.

Beyond Good & Evil HD will be released on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation network sometime in 2011.

Well, I played the test version of BG&E HD, and I think its the the worst kind of demo ever, it stops before any kind of action commences :oops:, you practically play a "how to move and look" tutorial and then its over. They definitly are not going to win over new buyers with that.

But the remake seems to be fine apart from that, textures have improved alot from the PC version, and believe there are some slight gameplay changes too. (AFAIR you had to enable the shield manually, in the HD remake it comes back alone).
Will scratch my head a bit more if I should buy this or "Under Siege", the latter game bein interesting but a big unkown to me without any reviews.

Ubisoft have said that the sequel is now targeting nexgen consoles recently. PS4/xbox720. Still in development and not canceled.

Yeah, apparently they decided it had to take a backseat to the new 2D Rayman, as apparently that required a lot of their resources, and they are making that a really huge game. And I have to say, that does look like a wonderful little game (and they can easily port that to a lot of different devices ;) - I'm rooting for playing it on OLED myself).

Back