BestBuy update

DemoCoder

Veteran
Called 2 local Best Buys.They are getting shipments tommorow, about 50 units each. They told me that as of 5PM PST today, people were ALREADY camped out.

I don't think I'm getting an XB360 until Spring. There's simply no way I'm standing in line for 12+ hours for it, I've got better things to do with my time.

Guden Oden said:
Why don't they take preorders for post-launch shipments:?:

It will bring more customers to the store. If they took online orders, only the 50 people that bought them would show up and get their systems, or they would have them shipped to their homes.

By not taking preorders, more people will come in hopes of getting a system. Even though many won't get it, some them will buy something else as well.

Its all about getting in as many people in the door.

Are you kidding? The people who've been standing in the cold for 12 hours who don't get a system are not going to go shoppin for something else in the store, they are going to go home and crash. The only thing that could keep them awake would be actually getting a system, and the rush home to try it out.

People who show up late in the morning are likely to be discouraged by the long line and just get back in their car.

BTW, if this is the best MS can do: Give BestBuy 50 units from Nov 21 to Dec 18 (4 weeks), I don't think most people will be able to get an xb360 until next summer. By March, at this glacial pace, each BB will be able to sell another 150 units. Whoop-de-do.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think of that way I guess.

Another way to think of it is, 330k at launch, and another 800-900k between launch and Dec 31, which is what they're doing by selling 1.5million which was confirmed just a few days ago.

Will people ignore a full priced system on boxing day(s)?

(plural because stores seem to have boxing week sales :LOL: )

scooby_dooby said:
If you think of that way I guess.

Another way to think of it is, 330k at launch, and another 800-900k between launch and Dec 31, which is what they're doing by selling 1.5million which was confirmed just a few days ago.

I don't think there will be another 800-900k. Just my guess though...

I don't either. I also estimate that as much as 20% of the restock is being acquired by scalpers/speculators given the number of people selling unopened XB360's on auction sites.

Since the ROI is not bad ($399 -> $700-800 = ~100% ROI), it drives speculators. I joked with a friend that I should go to Home Depot, hire 100 mexican day laborers for $5/hr, send them to stand in line for 20 hrs at various BBs. I will net 100 XBs, pay an average for $500 for acquisition (including labor costs), and then sell them for an average of $800, yielding $30,000 in profit modulo the management risk of them running off with the cash given to buy the unit.

Or, to do it more securely, go to a legitimate temp agency, hire temps at $10/hr, and take home $20k profit in one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
well believe it or not, according to the latest analysts reports they are on track for 1.5million. we know all the launch quantities added up to < 800,000units for all 3 regions, so you can do the math.

over 300k shipped last week. So they're already at 1-1.1million units shipped.

The additional 300,000 units will bring the worldwide total to around 1 million shipped, which includes 300,000 for Europe, 100,000 for Japan, and the initial North American shipment of 300,000 to 400,000. Microsoft has repeatedly expressed that their goal is to ship 3 million Xbox 360s worldwide in its first 90 days on the market. McNealy said that he expects the console to sell just over 1.5 million units by the end of December, which puts Microsoft on track with their goal.
http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1864&Itemid=2

I don't see any reason not to believe it unless you have evidence pointing to the contrary.

Also, 360's on ebay now are going for more like $650-700 US. There's 3 for sale on my local automotive board for Edmonton, seeling for $550-600 canadian($535 w/ tax msrp), so at this point they really are not that hard to find.
http://forums.780tuners.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=41

one of our local futureshops just got like 70+ units. Just cause you don't hear alot about the shipment, doesn't mean they aren't happening.

scooby_dooby said:
well believe it or not, according to the latest analysts reports they are on track for 1.5million. we know all the launch quantities added up to < 800,000units for all 3 regions, so you can do the math.

over 300k shipped last week. So they're already at 1-1.1million units shipped.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1864&Itemid=2

I don't see any reason not to believe it unless you have evidence pointing to the contrary.

Also, 360's on ebay now are going for more like $650-700 US. There's 3 for sale on my local automotive board for Edmonton, seeling for $550-600 canadian($535 w/ tax msrp), so at this point they really are not that hard to find.
http://forums.780tuners.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=41

one of our local futureshops just got like 70+ units. Just cause you don't hear alot about the shipment, doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I wonder if the price on ebay will go up again once people are unsuccessful with this last shipment to BB et. al.

i'm sure the next week will be pretty hectic, right down to the x-mas wire as parents scramble. after x-mas it'll probably drop way off.

I placed bids on 5 XB360's listing for ~$550, all of them are now $700. One owner offered me the chance to buy one for $700 if I could drive to his place in the next 30 minutes. No thanks.

Why the hell should I pay $300 over the list price for a console with paultry few launch titles worth playing, when I could save that $300, wait a few months and buy 6-7 games with it.

The point remains, it's ridiculous that people had to line up over 12hrs in advance to get units this time around. I don't forsee an end to these 12hr marathons for the forseeable future, which means, the average gamer who wants to buy one is left out in the cold, quite literally.

Frankly, we could have used those extra Japanese units. It looks like I could fly to Japan and buy an XB360 easier.

DemoCoder said:
I don't forsee an end to these 12hr marathons for the forseeable future, which means, the average gamer who wants to buy one is left out in the cold, quite literally.

Then again, the average gamer might be more inclined to wait for a price drop. ;)

DemoCoder said:
I don't forsee an end to these 12hr marathons for the forseeable future, which means, the average gamer who wants to buy one is left out in the cold, quite literally.

Neither does MS apaprently since they plan to sell 3 million by the end of Feb.

DemoCoder said:
I placed bids on 5 XB360's listing for ~$550, all of them are now $700. One owner offered me the chance to buy one for $700 if I could drive to his place in the next 30 minutes. No thanks.

Why the hell should I pay $300 over the list price for a console with paultry few launch titles worth playing, when I could save that $300, wait a few months and buy 6-7 games with it.

The point remains, it's ridiculous that people had to line up over 12hrs in advance to get units this time around. I don't forsee an end to these 12hr marathons for the forseeable future, which means, the average gamer who wants to buy one is left out in the cold, quite literally.

Frankly, we could have used those extra Japanese units. It looks like I could fly to Japan and buy an XB360 easier.
I absolutely love the 360 and have been playing it roughly non-stop since I got it. I also consider the launch line up to be very good with each game offering some unique game play experiences.

However, if my 360 was stolen there is no way I would pay more than MSRP for a replacement, nor would I wait in line, even if this meant waiting till spring. The same launch games will still be available, plus one or two more. And the other systems have a ton of great games available.

I understand why some people enjoy the whole experience of camping out. But I don't get paying the EBay prices at all...

.Sis

mm... just got an email from Futureshop mentioning more 360s available on the 24th (probably all sold out last Friday too ;) )

I haven't even looked around for an Xbox 360 yet so I have no clue about specific situations, but when is it expected that you can pretty much walk into a store anywhere and just pick one up?

DemoCoder said:
BTW, if this is the best MS can do: Give BestBuy 50 units from Nov 21 to Dec 18 (4 weeks), I don't think most people will be able to get an xb360 until next summer. By March, at this glacial pace, each BB will be able to sell another 150 units. Whoop-de-do.

This "glacial pace" as you put it has already put over 1.2 million Xbox 360's on store shelves since launch worldwide. That's 1.2 million systems in 1 month.

At that "glacial pace" MS will have a userbase of about 8.4 million by June. They would have 11-12 million systems out by the time the PS3 launches in the US.

I'm sure MS would be completely thrilled if they could maintain this "glacial pace" until next summer.

Back