Best widescreen 20" LCD for image quality and gaming performance?

rootbeer

Newcomer
Seems Dell's are having some color banding issues. Any other options that provide great image quality and gaming performance?

rootbeer said:
Seems Dell's are having some color banding issues. Any other options that provide great image quality and gaming performance?

I thought that was the 24" dells, and even then I am not too sure it is accurate. The only picture I have seen looks normal enough...

Edit:
Ah I see the new 2007fpw has this issue supposedly. Well just buy an old 2005fpw instead for much less $ :) You give up hdcp though ah well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sxotty said:
I thought that was the 24" dells, and even then I am not too sure it is accurate. The only picture I have seen looks normal enough...

Edit:
Ah I see the new 2007fpw has this issue supposedly. Well just buy an old 2005fpw instead for much less $ :) You give up hdcp though ah well.

Well I don't care about HDCP, I have a 50" Fujitsu Plasma, I don't plan on using this for that kind of content.

Is the older 2005fpw equal in all other respects? Image quality and response time? Is the only difference the the HDCP?

the old 20"s from dell have their own problems.

I just got a BenQ 20" widescreen and Im seriously underwhelmed.
sure, it has no ghosting in games, which is pretty damn great, but it does have a small ammount of bleeding, poor viewing angles, and bland contrast.

Thanks for the info on the NEC. I just placed an order for the Black and Silver version.

I was a little unsure about the rounded bevel of the edges, I prefer a sharper edge, but I think its a shallow bevel, i.e., not too much high off from the screen surface itself, so it should look slick

Seems like this is the screen to beat and coming from a Fuji plasma for my TV I appreciate a glass display, I always hated the matte look of LCD screens and that is part of what has kept me as a CRT guy so long.

I'll post back my findings.

Rur0ni said:
And yeah, I hear the new Dells aren't so hot.

I was hoping you would have some links verifying that.

It seems to me the new dells are awesome except for a few bad apples. The 2005fpw was awesome when they finally fixed the bleed issue though that took almost its entire lifespan. I think I would rather buy 2 dell 20" monitors than one NEC if I had the money to spend, but that is just me :)

Man, that NEC has got me drooling in a way that the Dells just never did! :oops:

Is it just me or does that seem like the ultimate monitor right now?

digitalwanderer said:
Man, that NEC has got me drooling in a way that the Dells just never did! :oops:

It is, at least to me, the pics are panty wetting. I've been looking for something to replace a CRT with weak guns, but I managed to get another one for free. So I've put off putting money down for it. (Not to mention a fender bender that needed attention).

Sxotty said:
I was hoping you would have some links verifying that.
My apologies, but its just the general forum banter, and I trust the forum members at anandtech and widescreengaming regarding image quality.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1945215,00.asp

ExtremeTech prefers the Dell over the NEC, because of price, the gloss finish on the NEC, and height adjustment. If you don't have a lightsource behind you (sunlight), and can afford it, the NEC is the better.

rootbeer said:
Thanks for the info on the NEC. I just placed an order for the Black and Silver version.
Lucky dog.

digitalwanderer said:

I can't find the link now but Samsung just announced an LCD HDTV with something like 5000:1 contrast and support for 2 billion colors.

Damn it, you're going to make me yank Bubbles into the living room and hook her up to the 40" plasma just to see what I'm missing! :oops:

ANova said:
I can't find the link now but Samsung just announced an LCD HDTV with something like 5000:1 contrast and support for 2 billion colors.

I doubt that's the real contrast ratio unless it's using some fancy Tri Color LED backligting. Samsung also claims their plasmas have a contrast ratio of 10,000 to 1...:LOL: Anyone with a clue knows their plasmas are bottom of the barrel.

Rur0ni said:
My apologies, but its just the general forum banter, and I trust the forum members at anandtech and widescreengaming regarding image quality.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1945215,00.asp

ExtremeTech prefers the Dell over the NEC, because of price, the gloss finish on the NEC, and height adjustment. If you don't have a lightsource behind you (sunlight), and can afford it, the NEC is the better.

Lucky dog.
That is why I was asking, all I saw was general banter, and the actual reviews have not been negative, nor is the impressions of the fellow on this forum who has it.

I would not buy a monitor that is 2x more expensive unless NEC provided a much better warranty such as no dead pixel guarantee etc... if they do that then there is something there, otherwise it is just a really expensive monitor IMO.

Sxotty said:
I would not buy a monitor that is 2x more expensive unless NEC provided a much better warranty such as no dead pixel guarantee etc... if they do that then there is something there, otherwise it is just a really expensive monitor IMO.

I have a no dead pixel warranty, its my Visa card. If I don't like what I bought, I will send it back and dispute the charge. Visa has come through for me the only other time I had to do that. And before it even gets to that I bought it from Buy.com, and they have a no questions asked return policy in the first 14 days on TVs or monitors smaller than 27", so I don't see the problem here with regards to dead pixels.

As far as the height adjustment, I really don't mind, I'll lower my chair. And the reflective glass? That is a preference that some people prefer. I have the absolute best plasma you can buy right now, a 50" Fujitsu 2006. It has glass, as all plasmas do, and in modestly lit (non direct light) environent, it poses no problem for me. I prefer to change my lighting and have the best image quality possible, than to endure the reverse.

The NEC is expensive? Here in Norway the Dell 2005FPW, at 25% off, is only about 20% less than 20WGX2. (Note: That's without the M, some multimedia crap.)

So, I've had the 20WGX2 for a while, and it's pretty good, but the reflections can get annoying at times. I try to keep the room very dark whenever I do any IQ-critical stuff. There's some faint backlight leakage in the corners, but I rarely notice it anymore. Strangely, I could swear the leakage has become considerably less since I got the unit, and lots of other people report the same thing.

The bottom line is, it's not perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for any other 20" on the market.

Back