Best way to sell a GFX board

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Quitch

Veteran

In the past I've always held onto my GFX card for four years. I don't tend to upgrade my PC, it lasts for four years, then I buy a new one, and the old one gets relegated to a younger sibling :)

Since I've come here though I've noticed that trading in an old card and buying a new one is fairly popular, and seeing how the graphics card is something that can become out of date much quicker than the rest of my PC. Therefore I have been considering how I would go about this. Living in the UK I cannot opt for the ATI trade-up program, but e-bay has always sounded like a good option. Having never sold on e-bay before I don't know what a good way to go about this is. Should you start bidding really low and hope for the best, or force a high starting level to ensure you get some money for it? Would I be better off selling the card somewhere else entirely?

2. ByteMe

Banned

At least 4 years old? Give it away, it is worth very little.

3. Quitch

Veteran

No, no, the card I have now isn't as old as all that, but I thought I'd best ask so that if I choose to sell it in the future, I know what I'm doing. Anyway, if I don't ask, I don't know if it's worth the hassle :)

I currently have a Radeon 9800 Pro. Not planning on moving any time soon.

4. Eolirin

Newcomer

Well, you can always set a reserve price on your auction. Someone would have to go over the reserve inorder to actually win the auction so you can start lower while still guaranteeing that you'll get a certain amount of money. Of course if your reserve is too high you'll never sell the card.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I don't know about Ebay, I don't like/trust it for some reason. I prefer to buy/sell on some forums "for sale/trade" board.

You generally get buyers/sellers who know a lot more about what they're getting/selling and I still have never been burned on a deal on one.

6. Hanners

Regular

The problem with video cards now is you know that they'll lose about a third of their value in six months, and within about 18 months won't be worth all that much at all. Kind of like buying cars really, as soon as you take them for their first spin the value starts dropping.

7. Princess_Frosty

Newcomer

Ebay is very safe to bid and sell on, you enter into a contract with them so even if you do meet someone trying to scam (which is unlikly) then you're fairly well covered.

As said you can set a min price which you can hide or reveal to the public, if its a item which is fairly rare you'll find people will risk larger bids to ensure they go over the min price (if you hide it) Obviouslt if you set the mid bid price to high you wont sell the card. You can also set a buy it now price, which people can enter straight away and they get the card instantly (automatic winner)

8. Tahir2

Veteran

I'll buy that for a dollar.