Best Ultra-Compact Digital Camera

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Any recommendations?
I want a good flash and good image quality in the smallest possible package...

Thanks!

Check out the Sony DSC-T1 and T11. They were a bit expensive but prices should be coming down since the T3 is on its way.

Sony T1 is a fantastic piece of hardware. I have one, and quite a lot of people around here do, and all we can say in unison, is "buy one". If you can afford it of course.

If you want a good flash the T1 is maybe not the best, although otherwise it's a fine compact.
On the other hand, ultra compact digicams usually have quite weak flashes. Off-hand I can't think of a ultracompact with good flash.

T1 flash is adeguate for two or three meters max.

I think I'm going to the the Konica Minolta X50. About the size of the T1, but $100 less and (claims) about 5' longer flash range...

Stop me quickly if it sucks!

I like my Minolta Dimage X, it is kinda dated now but it is still a damn small camara that fits my purposes nicely. I belive they have a newer juiced up version now which you might want to check out.

kyleb said:
I like my Minolta Dimage X, it is kinda dated now but it is still a damn small camara that fits my purposes nicely. I belive they have a newer juiced up version now which you might want to check out.

Yep, that's the Dimage X50 which I picked up today. Pretty snazzy.

I too have a Dimage X. Just the other day I was looking at the X50 online and it does sound nice. Minolta claims improved low light performance. I'm curious if that's true as I've yet to see a point and click digital camera with good low light performance.

I was going to recommend the Pentax Optio SV. It's smaller than the KonicaMinolta X series, 5 MP, 5X optical zoom and it doesn't use folded optics like the X series. The pictures below show the lense extended. When retracted it's flush with the face of the camera.

optiosv_lg.jpg

For $100 less they also have the Optio S5i which is basically the same but even smaller but with a 3X optical zoom.

optios5i_lg.jpg

I've got 10 days to play if I want to take it back. I saw the pentax (right next to this one) but hadn't read anything about it. As this is a toss around business trip camera I kind of like that the optics are internal from a functional point of view. I haven't really used it yet though. We'll see how the photos come out.

Back