best trailer ever isnt KZ... its

It's a shame that basically every shot and movie of any basketball game I've seen since then simply pales in comparison to this video. It's either offline rendered or a marketing staff somewhere needs FIRED.

its weird that its not "offline renderer" perfect... there are jaggies an angles particularly lebrons arms... so i wonder just where did this video come from and how was it made?This is most next generation set of physics animation and lighting that i had ever seen... MS showed this but is it possible on their box?

blakjedi said:
This is most next generation set of physics animation and lighting that i had ever seen...

Um, so we're calling this real time now, physics based animation and everything? I thought this was blown off as motion captured CG the moment it was shown.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. This demo is good but it only lasts for about what 15 seconds? 20? The Killzone demo , when I saw it for the FIRST time, had me sinked in my couch for like 2 mins straight! Now that was some first experience. I don't care if it was CG or realtime.

Sorry if this pissed off anyone, I just wanted to state my opinion.

liverkick said:
Um, so we're calling this real time now, physics based animation and everything? I thought this was blown off as motion captured CG the moment it was shown.

here is the quote i gave

blakjedi said:
There is NOTHING I have ever seen computer generated, whether movie cg or otherwise.

It sure does look good, but it screams motion capture and/or prerendered to me. The Killzone footage was still much more impressive imo.

ANova said:
It sure does look good, but it screams motion capture and/or prerendered to me. The Killzone footage was still much more impressive imo.

arent plenty games mocapped? I've never seen any animation done so well. in terms realism this blows KZ (or any other video prerendered or otherwise) away... I cant say how this was made but its impressive.

blakjedi said:
arent plenty games mocapped? I've never seen any animation done so well. in terms realism this blows KZ (or any other video prerendered or otherwise) away... I cant say how this was made but its impressive.

Calm down,that is just a full lengh mocap session.In game ,when you have control over characters, mocap is not that pure,because it has to be broken into cycles (walk,run,jump,...) and the software have to blend them together,not the most natural way .

blakjedi said:
here is the quote i gave

OK, but the inferrence of physics based animation threw me off.

That mo-cap doesnt strike me as anything out of the ordinary. Its the movement of the mesh uniform thats impressive.

Sean*O said:
Looks like they even mocapped the fingers...

Yeah no kidding man. It looks like they even mocapped his lips as he was shooting. I wish basketball game could look this good, but I don't know man. This looks a tad bit too good.

It's Creepy! LOL,

I would love to see an actual game run that smooth, in-game. About 5 more years and we probably will, if not sooner.

Kill_Jade said:
this looks good but Killzone>everything in the world

Now that made me laugh out loud...:LOL:

I actually believe that PS3 can do this... maybe toward the end of its lifecycle but but I almost have no doubt that 7SPE's churning with RSX can accomplish this realtime. X360 could probably only approximate this. Achieving this fidelity in a videogame environment, would actually impress me.

blakjedi said:
Achieving this fidelity in a videogame environment, would actually impress me.

As would I....but the motion of the jersey alone looks to be very complex and in no way do I see that type of complexity with the amount of players that are in a NBA game. Very nice video though!

BlueTsunami said:
As would I....but the motion of the jersey alone looks to be very complex and in no way do I see that type of complexity with the amount of players that are in a NBA game. Very nice video though!

No disrespect to you, but you have to open your mind a little bit. Think outside the box. There has to be somethings that you know ACTUALLY impresses us next-gen. I think there is a certain breakdown of people that expect completly different things than others in a few years.

You have...

A. 45% of people that believe KZ looking games will be possible

B. 20% of people don't think that KZ looking games will be possible

C. 35% of people are playing the sit and wait game.

Me I think that the jersey bouncing like that will be possible. I don't see any reason in the world not. And isn't that physics related? I thought physics are supposed to hit its true maturity next-gen.

mckmas8808 said:
No disrespect to you, but you have to open your mind a little bit. Think outside the box. There has to be somethings that you know ACTUALLY impresses us next-gen. I think there is a certain breakdown of people that expect completly different things than others in a few years.

You have...

A. 45% of people that believe KZ looking games will be possible

B. 20% of people don't think that KZ looking games will be possible

C. 35% of people are playing the sit and wait game.

Me I think that the jersey bouncing like that will be possible. I don't see any reason in the world not. And isn't that physics related? I thought physics are supposed to hit its true maturity next-gen.

I guess i'm not used to that type of physics in use. I believe Killzone is fully possible (after playing Half Life 2...the basic look was quite similar). Just that Lebrons Jersey looks so very detailed...that I find it hard to see that on as many players an NBA game has (I'm a football guy :eek:). I also didn't comment on the fluidity of the motion. That I can't really see happening (as a first generation game).

I don't know...maybe these things will be possible down the line, I really hope so...because that video looks very nice.

BlueTsunami said:
I guess i'm not used to that type of physics in use. I believe Killzone is fully possible (after playing Half Life 2...the basic look was quite similar). Just that Lebrons Jersey looks so very detailed...that I find it hard to see that on as many players an NBA game has (I'm a football guy :eek:). I also didn't comment on the fluidity of the motion. That I can't really see happening (as a first generation game).

I don't know...maybe these things will be possible down the line, I really hope so...because that video looks very nice.

I totally agree with you now.

Fingers are hideously difficult to capture using optical mocap. You can't apply more than 1 marker per joint, which also have to be very small, and they love to get covered from the cameras. Properly capturing finger motion is so complicated that it's far cheaper to have an animator do it manually.
Faces are a bit more complex, because when using a specialized rig (actor sitting in front of a lot of cameras) you can get good data. But actually using that on a character can get problematic. It certainly isn't possible to capture the face of someone moving as much as a basketball player.

FYI, Sony Imageworks has built a very complex system for the Polar Express, that was able to do full capture including faces and fingers. But it took more than a hundred cameras and lots of custom software to do it, which will probably remain beyond any game's budget. And in my opinion, the result still looked stiff and zombified ;)

Back