Best PCIe video card for $160-170us?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by digitalwanderer, Jul 2, 2005.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I had a member at Elite Bastards asking today and I had absolutely no clue, I haven't been following the mid-level stuff. :oops:

What's the best card for around that price range would you say?

("around" meaning not over $170us)

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

That's X700 PRO (256MB) or 6600GT price territory. Lots of brands at +/- $160.

3. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

I guess the 6600GT is still it. I wonder if a 128MB X800 is worth the extra $ (or skipping lunch for a week).

4. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

depending on if he wants to just play current games with good framerates and older games with that and 6xAA(x700 pro)
    or if he's a tech enthusiast who wants to experiment with shader model 3 stuff and still get pretty good gaming experience (6600 GT)

Also if he happens to have SLI mobo, 6600 GT is a no brainer for possible SLI upgrade in the near future. Kind of a way to get a 6800GT performance but pay it in two smaller payments, and get to play straight away after the first one :)

In the end, its either x700 pro or 6600 GT. Choose whichever has better price and availability.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend