Best NVidia tweak program?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Dr. Ffreeze, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Ffreeze

Regular

Hi All,

I just got a 6600GT and was wondering if there were any solid stable must have tweak programs. I use NTune to overclock my card a bit, but are their any "unsupported" AA levels or anything that I might want to take a look at? Do I remember correctly that some NVidia hack enable SSAA? I might want to use that for some of my older titles (Longest Journey maybe).

Thankx,

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yup. [​IMG]

4. Richteralan

Regular

in addition, RivaTuner

5. digitalwanderer

Legend

I was a die-hard RivaTuner user, but once I tried nHancer I had to admit it was a better tweaker....at least ridiculously more user-friendly/self-explanatory and the game profiling system is about the best around for nVidia cards.

6. DOGMA1138

Regular

catalyst and a brand new x850xt :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

He'd still need Radlinker. ;)

I really recomend ya try nHancer. RivaTuner is great and if you're already familiar with it you may like it better, but nHancer has got more features. (I'm sorry Unwinder, I still love you oodles but nHancer is good!)

8. chavvdarrr

Veteran

:evil:
    uh,huh :roll:

9. dizietsma

Banned

Rivatuner lets you unlock pipes on some cards and gives you graphical temperature and volts, if nhancer does that as well I might give it a go.

10. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

hNancer is a profile editor, nothing more.
    It does it's job well and in a user friendly way.

11. digitalwanderer

Legend

I phrased that poorly/wrongly, you are correct that RivaTuner does indeed have more options...nHancer is just a very nice front-end with extra options.

12. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Rivatuner also works with Radeon cards to some extent as an overclocker and some other stuff. No driver tweaks, though.

Also, Rivatuner has some nice explanatory help dialogs.

13. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

I tried rivatuner in two separate occasions when I was supposed to do something or another.

I ended up doing nothing at all with it cause the user interface was such a complete mess. I couldn't figure it out at all really, lots of silly options with no help to decipher what they mean, that I could find anyways...

It might be a powerful tool, but do I have to be a powerful superengineer to understand and use it?

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

No, but it does have a bit of a learning curve. So does nHancer, but it's learning curve looks a whole lot more like a straight line than a geometric progression like RT.

Try both, I believe they're mutually compatible. (I've had both on my system before with no ill effects)

15. chavvdarrr

Veteran

well, RT has options that could render your card unusable (extreme overclock, unlocking defective pipes, etc)... so you either RTFM, or the author prefers not to let you use it... :D
    I don't like the interface too, but can understand Unwinder's decision.

16. DudeMiester

Regular

I dunno, I find Rivatuner pretty intuitive.

17. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

nHancer,far more user firendly than RivaTuner and the only real use for a tweaker for me in addition to coolbits is access to a decent game profiler and the hidden AA modes.

18. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I tried nHancer, it's really nothing more than a nvidia profiles editor, with a few more options.
    (nvidia's driver UI is so horrible I didn't try profiles previously)

I have a geforce 4ti with 61.77 drivers.
    Some things are only relevant for geforce 6 (AA and AF modes) and geforce 6/FX (texture filtering "cheats")

It allows me to set AA, AF, vsync (other options are quite useless), but the "color scheme" switching does not work, this sucks. For my hl1 mods I'll still have to toggle my gamma with Rivatuner (what's nice with Rivatuner is you can put whatever you want in the "right click on tray icon" menu).
    One thing nice with nHancer : you decide what you want to be overriden or not.

About the hidden AA modes, I'm missing what Rivatuner allows me : 8x multisampling :p . I tried it in CS 1.5 (right now) : at last, good looking AA on that card, and it runs ~ 75fps average. (slower on day of defeat but still good framerate. the AA is still a bit weak on near horizontal angles, but not bad, on these angles 4x looks like no AA at all..)

So I'll still have to switch AA manually (with riva, I right click on the tray icon and click on the "Open GL Antialiasing" line I put there :))

(don't use 8x multisampling on a gf6, it's ordered grid. you'd better use 4x which is rotated grid on gf6 but ordered grid on previous geforces)

in the end, it's not nHancer vs Rivatuner : use both!
    I'll not even use again the crappy nvidia driver UI.
    I use rivatuner for my o/c BTW (and it's the low level kind), no need to bother to download a "coolbits.reg" :)

19. Unwinder

Newcomer

No problem, mate ;) I really appreciate your support during these years, and I'm very glad that you've found simpler tool, which covers 100% of your needs.
    You're absolutely correct, nHancer is pretty good for many users, as it provides easiest access to some most frequently used options. But don't forget about the balance between functionality and simplicity. There always be users needing much more functionality than nHancer provides, as well as there always be users finding RT too complicated because they actually need only 1% of its' functionality. So it is impossible to satisfy everyone, it is up to tool developer to select the primary tool's purpose and to shift this balance either to functionality or to simplicity side.

20. Diplo

Veteran

I'm a RivaTuner person myself. I like lots of complicated options I don't understand :)