Best Monitoring of Software

demonic

Regular
Title should be : Best Monitoring Software of Servers

I have various windows 2003 member servers on my network, complete with IIS (.net), SQL and Exchange Servers.

Can anyone recommend a good enterprise package that essentially installs the monitoring service on the server and allows an administrator via a console installed on a pc, to set the monitoring options, view the stats of cpu usage and hd space, put in practice if a service fails, then an action is to restart it or email/sms the administrator.

I would look at MOM, Microsoft Operations Manager, but not sure if the cost would be prohibative for only 4 AD servers, 3 SQL Servers, 1 Exchange Server and 3 IIS Servers.

Thanks.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty there're a lot of OSS systems for that.

Nagios is the most popular one and it should be able to monitor, alert and restart most services (Yes, Windows services too :p)
It doesn't have fancy buttons and animations, but it does the job.

There're even people providing commercial support if you really need it.

I used Nagios at my previous job and my new one as Network Admin running on my linux dev box. Use it to monitor all my servers (whether nix or windows), various services running on them as well as gateways, wireless routers and satellite office. Can't do without it.

Thanks for the suggestion. But Im gonna go with NetIQ. Unfortunately, I cant devote the time to running a Linux box, something which I dont know about, also compiling this product, which I read in the manual that you have to do. Also, I wont be the only one wanting to use the product.

If anyone else has other options, feel free to let me know. As Im still in the evaluation stage.

Back