Legend
Im on the lookout for a cheapish ~28" 4k monitor
what would you recommend?

ViewSonic VX2880ML

Samsung U28D590D
AOC u2868Pqu
Dell

or something else?

Gaming is of zero importance. Oddly enough I did install a game last week, I think the first time I've installed a game for a few years, complained about needing d3d9c (I have win8.1) then I had to search for a d3dx dll downloading that tried to install a load of crap on my PC etc, I can see why ppl game on consoles. :eek:
Im gonna use it mainly for music production, which if anyone who has done it knows you need screenspace realestate, more so than 3d modelling,programming,2d graphics,video editing etc

I'd still recommend waiting until freesynch-capable monitors show up. Improved panels and improved driving electronics is just around the corner, and they will be cheaper than today's offerings as well.

Will they be cheaper?
http://techreport.com/news/26919/freesync-monitors-will-sample-next-month-start-selling-next-year
surprised if FreeSync compatibility added more than $10-20 to a display's bill of materials. Even taking additional validation costs into consideration, monitor makers should be able to support adaptive refresh rates fairly cheaply. They're still free to charge whatever premium they want, though.

So it sounds like they will be slightly more expensive, honestly I prolly wont even display fullscreen 3d stuff on this at all
I'm just gonna use onboard graphics, (beyond 3d users ->) shock horror

So it sounds like they will be slightly more expensive
That quote's just baseless speculation. There's really no reason costs of the display controller would increase at all, freesynch is just a re-branded bit of tech that has been part of (mobile) displayport for years. It's not anything new or unknown or anything like that.

Even if I'm wrong, the display controller is just one small part of the cost of a monitor, the LCD panel itself is the major cost, and those should still be falling in price, and will probably continue to for years until 4K becomes a baseline commodity item, kind of like 1080P displays are today.

Does your software scale up/down properly?, i.e. interface made of vector graphics that you can zoom in/out so you can keep it readable.

Back