Best looking character models on consoles

The real-time Uncharted guy looks dumber or even alcoholic next to the custcene guy :unsure:

I remember commentary on the nvidia mermaid (if you remember that demo from geforce 6 or so days), with a journalist's commentary that she looked stoned :LOL:,
here she is, looking decent but you pan the camera around and she kept the same canned looking at whatever.
nvidia_20040421.jpg

So there is that doll effect for gameplay characters which must be hard to contain but they still look fantastic imo.

Last edited:
The real-time Uncharted guy looks dumber or even alcoholic next to the custcene guy :unsure:

I remember commentary on the nvidia mermaid (if you remember that demo from geforce 6 or so days), with a journalist's commentary that she looked stoned :LOL:,
here she is, looking decent but you pan the camera around and she kept the same canned looking at whatever.
nvidia_20040421.jpg

So there is that doll effect for gameplay characters which must be hard to contain but they still look fantastic imo.
Hey, don't mess with my Nalu! :p

But yes, she looks kinda "happy", but the fault is because of those "self-illuminated" irises.

Like the title says, what character models do you consider impressive for this generation? The only rule is to avoid scenes that add extra graphical effects in cutscenes, unless it is only stage lighting as most games do this. My main choice would be Batman: Arkham Knight. The amount of detail is insane, the polygon count for batman and scarecrow must be really high. The characters really do look like that during gameplay.

batman_arkhamknight_2u1kme.png

batman_arkhamknight_237k43.png

batman_arkhamknight_2brjdc.png

batman_arkhamknight_2hjjcj.png
I agree with your choice. It makes me question Rocksteady in how are you guys able to push that kind of quality using that old Unreal Engine especially in specific regards to those gameplay quality assets taking a role in a large open world? Just really impressive stuff for me personally.

The Order 1886 impressed me as well when talking "raw" gameplay. There is still some uncanny valley with how the main character moves that makes me unease, but still overall it's impressive.

Psychology of fictional digital mermaids. Ok.
Mermaids are effing mermaids, dude. Get over it. ;-)

I agree with your choice. It makes me question Rocksteady in how are you guys able to push that kind of quality using that old Unreal Engine especially in specific regards to those gameplay quality assets taking a role in a large open world? Just really impressive stuff for me personally.

The Order 1886 impressed me as well when talking "raw" gameplay. There is still some uncanny valley with how the main character moves that makes me unease, but still overall it's impressive.
Yup, animations are the thing that make a true difference, to me (besides lighting, to me... again). It's no use having a realistic model and shaders, if characters move unrealistically (also, how the joints deform and clothes physics... or a lack thereof).

PS: your nickname is quite uncanny, too.

Yeah, Until Dawn is really nice. Time for some Elena love, really nice skin shading here, all during gameplay mind you (png to jpeg to save bandwidth):
uncharted4_athiefsendsouc6.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendvauuf.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendqouk1.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsend5aui5.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendewu0n.jpg

Nice detail is the SSS on her face when directly lit
uncharted4_athiefsend6tu7v.jpg

We are slowly getting there!

Paragon I think have a place in the list:

27357679542_f9b8c0819e_k.jpg

27364142682_33a24bfc13_k.jpg

26928280804_1d5fdfcb9e_k.jpg

27465398451_ae8f947567_k.jpg

All of them screenshots taken from replays of real games.

Back