Best Linux distro for the PS3?

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by Mummy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Mummy

Regular

Hello all,

i don't have currently a PS3, but i might get one soon, i was wondering, from your (i refer to ps3 coders here) experience, what's the best linux distro for programming on PS3 ? is it the best even from a non programming user's perspective ?

Personally Im an Ubuntu fan (maybe better use Xubuntu on ps3), but i know that it's not the main officially supported distro there, does Ubuntu have the cell support yellowdog has ? can it be installed if it doesn't come "out of the box"?

2. Rys

Rys AMD RTG
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

3. Mike Acton

Mike Acton CellPerformance
    Newcomer

It doesn't matter

So far my experience has been that the distro doesn't matter that much. So long as you can get the PS3 kernel support running, everything after that is pretty much the same.

Especially since you'll probably just want to install all the libs and tools you'll need manually anyway (either from source or RPMS) - that saves a whole lot of headaches.

The only thing that springs to mind is that if you want Mesa support - that's a lot simpler to set up under Fedora (yum install - no issues), but it can be set up on any of the distros anyway.

So I'd say, go with whatever you're already most confortable with.

Mike.

4. Mummy

Regular

Thank you both for your answers.

Mike, afaik there is no 3D acceleration under linux on PS3 right? or i've missed something?

5. Rys

Rys AMD RTG
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

There's no acceleration provided by RSX on user-installed Linux, if that's what you mean, because there's no driver available.

6. Mike Acton

Mike Acton CellPerformance
    Newcomer

Probably want to develop something other than a big 3D game...

Yes, in an ironic twist, the best things to use the Playstation 3/Linux environment to develop is just about anything other than a big 3D game.

You can however write straight to the framebuffer (stored in main RAM) and draw whatever you like. And software drivers are available if drawing speed isn't your issue.

Mike.

7. Mummy

Regular

Yeah, too bad, reallly toooo bad, i can understand why Sony is doing this though.

8. OzzyBC42

Newcomer

I'm using FC6, and everything seems pretty well so far. I have compiled some tips on my website, feel free to check it out.

9. Panajev2001a

Veteran

Sadly, going from PS2 Linux and the awesomeness that SPS2dev (thanks Sauce and sparky.. sigh...) was to PS3 Linux you have about the same level of CPU low level access (actually you have more stuff to handle), but you lose all the GPU side stuff you had.

For 3D stuff you either have the option of using MesaGL or writing a software rasterizer with triangle set-up, 3D clipping, 3D primitives scan conversion, texture fetching and filtering, VS and PS programs support, etc...

Of course, if Sauce were here he would tell me not to worry about that stuff and to learn more about CELL which is most important, but I do want some GPU access anyways :p.

10. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

But you didn't get that much access to the PS2 graphics chips around when PS2 Linux was first released either, right?

11. Panajev2001a

Veteran

SPS2dev was not officially developed by Sony, neither Sauce nor Sparky worked at Sony.

The access to CPU, DMA, GIF, GS, etc... was there... the docs gave you address ranges, tags description for DMA packets/commands/registers, VIF packets, GIF tags and data to be placed inside packets to eb sent to the GS, etc... That library and associated kernel module helped developers to use all those functions as well as providing you an easy way to get contiguous blocks of unswappable physical memory (basially if you asked for 32 KB of unswappable memory to the allocator you would get 32 KB of contiguous virtual memory which was divided in 8 different 4 KB pages inside which you were guaranteed to have contiguous physical addresses... DMA did not understand virtual addresses... a simple use of DMA Next tags jumping from page to page would do the trick).

12. inefficient

Veteran

Well I have been using YDL5 until now.

But, if you want to do development on it with the latest version of the SDK 2.1, you need to have glibc2.5 which is not yet available for YDL.

You'll either need FC6 to use SDK 2.1 or you need to manually update glibc yourself - which is has the potential to end your PS3 hacking experience in tears.

13. Arwin

Moderator Legend

I thought I read somewhere that FC6 is used by a lot of folks at IBM, I think I recall they announced in some article that they were moving up to FC6 from FC5 for Cell development stuff recently. I'd probably pick this version myself (though my experiences with it on PC have been a tad rough so far).

14. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

15. ADEX

Newcomer

Cell support is in the kernel so it's appearing in various distros now. The last version of Ubuntu has a PS3 build including Xubuntu:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3

16. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I really don't. Why would they limit the flexibility like that?

17. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Security. On the Cell-side you have the hypervisor that sits on top, theres no such thing for RSX. Means with direct HW-Access shaders on the RSX could read/write to memory they arent allowed to.

18. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Hopefully they can at least release a driver that is limited enough. It is probably partly taking a long time because they really, really want it secure, if they do it at all.

19. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Oh OK thanks for the info

20. ADEX

Newcomer

The security is done on the Cell itself inside SPEs using their secure mode (why else do you think it's not available in Linux?). If you can read additional memory with the RSX it's most likely on the Cell side and the hypervisor can probably block it as all read write's will go via Cell. Even if it can't prevent reads from the RSX they're not going to do you much good anyway as it'll be encrypted...