Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Figured we should have a thread for 2022 displays.

First off, Samsung is getting closer to releasing OLED TVs again.

Samsung's QD Display tech aims to unlock brighter, more colorful OLED TVs | Engadget

The advantages over current LG OLEDs is higher brightness and wider color gamut. However, no announcement of any actual products yet. So, there's a fairly good chance they won't hit until 2023 with a small chance they might come out at the end of 2022. They'll make panels down to 34" suitable for gaming monitors as well.

It'll be interesting to see how resistant to burn in Samsung's OLEDs will be compared to LG's OLEDs.

Not to be completely outdone, LG has announced a new brighter panel tech for their OLED lineup.

LG Display says its new 'OLED EX' tech enhances brightness up to 30 percent | Engadget
LG launches OLED EX display tech: a competitor to mini LED - Pocketnow

LG also claims they will be 30% brighter than their current OLEDs (not sure if that refers to the EVO panels or their older panel tech) and have a wider color gamut, so these panels will be what go head to head against Samsung's QD-OLEDs. Also, claimed that they'll have greater power efficiency and hence potentially longer lifespan than EVO and older LG OLEDs.

However, like Samsung, there's no word yet on any shipping products. So probably 2023 with a small chance of end of 2022 (manufacturing of the panels starts in 2nd half 2022).

Also, interesting quote.

Despite the global TV market experiencing a 12 percent decline this year, we still observed a 70 percent growth in OLED sales […] With our new OLED EX technology, we aim to provide even more innovative high-end customer experiences through the evolution of our OLED technology, algorithms and designs.” – Dr. Oh Chang-ho, Executive Vice President & head of the TV Business Unit at LG Display

That's likely a big reason why Samsung are trying to release OLED TV's again.

LG's EVO panel will be coming to the C2 lineup in addition to the G2 lineup.

LG's C2 OLED TV line will include its brighter 'evo' panels in 2022 | Engadget

In addition to getting the EVO panels across the entire C2 lineup, the size range is being expanded. A 42" model will be added to expand the range of sizes to 42", 48", 55", 65", 75" and 83" sizes. LG also claim that the C2 lineup will be roughly half the weight of the C1 lineup (YAY!).

The G2 lineup will get a 83" and 97" option at the top end to expand the range of sizes to 55", 65", 75", 83" and 97" sizes.

Not much news on the A2 or B2 lineups, but they will feature the older OLED panel tech.

And for those people who have a LOT of money to spend.

Samsung MicroLED TVs get 89-inch size, better audio, bezel-free design at CES 2022 - CNET

Samsung will be introducing a smaller 89" size to the lineup of Micro LED TVs. Hopefully it's also slightly cheaper than the 150k USD that their previous smallest (110") Micro LED TV sold for. No word yet on pricing. Evidently the previously announced 76", 88" and 99" Micro LED TVs never made it to market.

So, Micro LED TVs at consumer friendly prices are likely still 5-10 years away. But who knows, maybe there will be some breakthrough that vastly reduces the cost to make a Micro LED panel.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yeah Lot's of interesting stuff at CES, I'm also looking forward to seeing more about Sony's QD-OLED model, but I'm still also interested in their Mini-LED models. The Z9K could be pretty sweet.

Thread should be 2022 though :)

I recently got 48" C1 for my PC and PS5 [the panel is glorious], and after CES I'm sure I won't need to upgrade it anytime soon. 42" and 48" C2 will not get EVO panel, and QD OLED will be very expensive and on large panels.

I'm much more strugling on getting a HDMI 2.1 GPU. Prices are insane here in East Europe, there are zero chances of getting anything near MSRP, and I expect this situation will not chance during the entire year.

I'm much more strugling on getting a HDMI 2.1 GPU. Prices are insane here in East Europe, there are zero chances of getting anything near MSRP, and I expect this situation will not chance during the entire year.

Yup, I'm in the same situation here in the US. I got a CX near the start of the year and was looking forward to some 120 Hz gaming ... and no affordable GPUs to be found. So, I'm still stuck with a 1070 that isn't aging very gracefully. And I don't expect that to change anytime soon as long as cryptocurrency remains profitable on GPUs.

Regards,
SB

I recently got 48" C1 for my PC and PS5 [the panel is glorious], and after CES I'm sure I won't need to upgrade it anytime soon. 42" and 48" C2 will not get EVO panel, and QD OLED will be very expensive and on large panels.

Yup, I'm in the same situation here in the US. I got a CX near the start of the year and was looking forward to some 120 Hz gaming ... and no affordable GPUs to be found. So, I'm still stuck with a 1070 that isn't aging very gracefully. And I don't expect that to change anytime soon as long as cryptocurrency remains profitable on GPUs.

Regards,
SB

Have you tried the AMD Thursday drop?

If you are lucky you can get a graphic card for MSRP.

So because i think 55 is to small for my gaming room, I bought a TCL 65" with 120hz and VRR for cheap.
It should arrive tomorrow.

How does that VRR thing work exactly ?

How does that VRR thing work exactly ?

if enabled both on the display and the source, as long as the game frame rate stays inside the TV's vrr range, no tearing even with vsync off.

unfortunately some games have frame pacing issue and tearing with VRR. So its better to enable vsync for more consistent experience for those games.

I think QD OLED is vaporware until they can show that they can ship in any kind of volume. There is speculation on AVR that their yields are like 30% at best and they're limited to 65-inches for now.

They may be able to ship some of those $2000 Dell 34-inch monitors towards the end of the year. Not clear if they will ship the TVs they showed off.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Samsung is working on a newer display technology which they're hoping to have ready within 5 years.

So QD-OLED may be an expensive -- prices are expected to carry at least a 50% premium over LG WOLED TVs -- interim product.

But certainly a lot of raves about brightness and color volume compared to LG OLED.

I’m keeping an eye out for the QD, on paper it looks amazing but I really need to see how the whole thing develops and how it’s priced. My Sony ZD9 is getting old.

If its almost immune to the image quality inconsistency of LG WOLED, then it'll be great.

Currently for lg CX it's consistency issues are basically invisible to most people due to their use case (lice action movies). But once it's used as pc monitor or for watching anime (with lots of flat colors)...

I think QD OLED is vaporware until they can show that they can ship in any kind of volume. There is speculation on AVR that their yields are like 30% at best and they're limited to 65-inches for now.

Not much time to post right now so just doing a link dump.

Sony announces the world’s first QD-OLED 4K TV, coming later this year - The Verge

Sony have announced a QD-OLED line-up (65" and 55") using Samsung panels. They have no plans to stop using LG OLEDs either.

Regards,
SB

No pricing right?

Hey Micro-LED TVs are a product. They cost around $100k and they probably ship a handful of them, which are probably hand made, a process which can't scale.

Also Dell announced Alienware QD-OLED monitors for $1300. Not too high and it comes with like a 3 year warranty vs. burn in?

No pricing right?

Hey Micro-LED TVs are a product. They cost around $100k and they probably ship a handful of them, which are probably hand made, a process which can't scale.

Also Dell announced Alienware QD-OLED monitors for $1300. Not too high and it comes with like a 3 year warranty vs. burn in?

Another article I read mentioned that there will be a price premium for Samsung QD-OLED TVs compared to LG OLED panels. I believe it was somewhere around a 40-60% price premium. That's likely a combination of manufacturing costs (there's that additional Quantum Dot layer involved in the manufacture of those panels) combined with Samsung correctly believing they can charge a higher premium if their panel is noticeably better than it's competition's panel.

I haven't seen any mention of how Sony plan to price their Samsung QD-OLED panel sets relative to their LG OLED panel sets.

So, nowhere near the cost of Micro-LED panels which are incredibly expensive to manufacture.

Regards,
SB

Well latest reports are saying that Sony’s QD-OLED may not be as expensive as previously thought. In the region of $4000 for the 65” which would make it an instant buy for me, assuming it’s as impressive as people say.

The price would be easier to absorb if this was like your "forever" TV, likely to hold up for say 5 years against later iterations or a new type of display entirely.

Also depends on your content sources. Right now, the best quality content I have access to are some Showtime shows which are in 4K Dolby Vision. It's good but it's not a knockout.

I watched an NFL game in 4K from the Fox Sports app compared to cable broadcast of that and it was noticeably better, the regular broadcast I couldn't switch back to. Problem is there aren't enough sports available in 4K in the US. That may change next year but now it's really a sorry state.

I haven't bought a UHD Blu Ray yet nor have I been able to get a PS5 yet. But even if I did, I probably wouldn't watch much on discs. I appreciate the quality of packaged media and I used to be a big proponent of them.

But I got shelves full of DVDs and Blu Rays that I rarely view.

So much easier to turn on a stream rather than dig out a disc, play it and then put it back. What is probably going to happen is "good enough" streaming video quality will become the standard or what the market adopts, among the segment who GAF about ultimate PQ and SQ. Just as happened with MP3 vs. uncompressed digital audio or lossless audio or even lossy audio using better codecs. MP3 was good enough and now everyone subscribes to music streaming services, which is probably more compromised than local MP3s.

Convenience and ease of use over quality.

I still watch a lot of shows on cable than any other form of content. More streaming and rips in recent years. I could probably save some money, cut the cable and still have plenty of other entertainment options.

So I don't know if my viewing patterns justify a $3500 TV vs. a $1800 TV, let alone a $4000 or more TV.

I don't want to get on the train of upgrading every few years either. It's not the cost as much as the hassle and environmental implications of replacing a giant slab of electronics in a few years.

I still have a 10-year old plasma, though it's on its last legs.

I still have a 10-year old plasma, though it's on its last legs.

Any OLED TV is going to be better than that, no questions asked. What are your main concerns?

If anything buy a less expensive OLED TV now and replace it a few years down the line instead of holding on to it for a decade. That way you get newer features as they come and much better image quality over time while not spending more.

Any OLED TV is going to be better than that, no questions asked. What are your main concerns?

If anything buy a less expensive OLED TV now and replace it a few years down the line instead of holding on to it for a decade. That way you get newer features as they come and much better image quality over time while not spending more.
Well if he doesn’t even have a ps5 then a plasma is mighty fine for last gen.

Back