Best EQII driver for GeForce Ti 4200?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Dr. Ffreeze, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Dr. Ffreeze

Regular

Hello All,

I read that one of the older drivers sets for the GeForce Ti 4200 was faster than the newer ones because the newer ones are optimized for newer cards. Until we can get a GeForce 6600 GT my wife is running a Ti 4200 (300 core / 700 mem) and I was looking for the best driver.

Any thoughts?
    Dr. Ffreeze

PS. My only concern is that the older driver won't render EQII properly.

2. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

You would probably be right. Honestly your best off using latest drivers for mmorpgs, paticularly Sony ones where they only test the code with newer drivers ;p

3. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Always use the most recent driver. Any performance differences are likely to be insignificant, while bug fixes and feature additions are not. Oh, and save up for a new gfx card too, that Ti4200 is getting a wee bit long in the tooth by now! :)

4. AAlcHemY

Newcomer

I had to use 66.93 for my Ti4400 in HL2, every driver &lt;66.00 caused reboots when loading the game. Still find it strange that there are differences in the driver for such a old card.

5. Dr. Ffreeze

Regular

ChrisRay,

I always use the latest drivers but... Someone that did a cheap system writeup on www.overclockers.coom mentioned that if you put in a GeForce 4200 for cheap to use driver_X because it was not optimized for the newer GPUs. He said it gave around a 25% increase to the 4200, but for the life of me I can't find the article to just try it out.

As I use the latest drivers I don't keep up with the small differences in driver revisions but anything close to 25% would greatly help out my wife, if it renders correctly.

Guden Oden,

Haha, no kidding. We are going to upgrade after Christmas. I will get her a GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E, but to use the Athlon 64 3000 (939 90nm) we need to wait until dumb motherboards come out. /sigh

6. Dr. Ffreeze

Regular

WOOT!

Found it. Only 15% but I can try it to see how it works out, if at all.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1134/index02.asp

7. Sharkfood

Regular

Please do report your findings... my girlfriend is currently running a Ti4600 for playing EQ-II and I'm a bit weary of reverting the drivers all the way back to the prehistoric 44.xx series Detonators unless there is some sort of revelation in performance. 15% is nothing to gawk at. :)

I've dumped endless sums of cash getting her memory up to snuff, and that made the game play 100x better. It seems 1.5gb is the sweet spot for this game if playing a Good/Qeynos character as those zones can have 100+ player models in them. I'm really impressed how well a 128MB Ti4600 plays once memory swapping is removed.

What's left are some severe slow spots from overdraw and if older/44.xx drivers help this, it'll be a really nice match. Quite the low-buck solution for many EQ players!

8. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

That 3dmark2001SE test really isnt representive to be honest. Those drivers introduced clip planes into the nature test for Geforce 4 users. And I believe FX users got it too.