Best board for your money

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Quitch

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2003
    Messages:
    1,521
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    UK
    It seems that on this site it is very hard to find one thing:

    Reccomendations.

    Sure, I can post a question and get lots of good answers, but why duplicate that time and time again? It would seem logical to me to have a table, such as many sites have, with various Beyond3D reccomendations, backed up with reasons.
     
  2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

    Legend

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2003
    Messages:
    6,363
    Likes Received:
    82
    The best board depends on "how much do you want to spend?" and "what do you want to use it for?" . Throw in the quickly moving market with different product specs from different suppliers, and prices moving around all the time, this would be quite a bit of work to keep up to date. If you can't keep such a listing up to date and thus relevent, there's not much point doing it.

    You're left with reading reviews (preferably here), getting opinions in the forums, and then applying your own criteria to the products reviewed to decide what is best for you.
     
  3. digitalwanderer

    digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2002
    Messages:
    17,228
    Likes Received:
    1,747
    Location:
    Winfield, IN USA
    Meh, wait a month and get the 9600XT. :)

    Simple enough? ;)
     
  4. Miksu

    Regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Finland
    Don't wait, just grap a Radeon 9600Pro.
     
  5. AzBat

    AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2002
    Messages:
    5,936
    Likes Received:
    1,735
    Location:
    Alma, AR
    I've always thought this method was completely unnecessary and complete pain in the ass. There is a much better way of doing it and Joe and I had done it before with a buyer's guide. Back then there were about 10 different companies. So it took a lot of time do it and keep it updated. Today is a different story. You basically have 2 companies making all the chips for the majority of the boards available. You can use a database and when a review is completed the buyer's guide could get updated in real-time. I've tried to get the buyer's guide started again, but I don't have the necessary web and programming skills to do it. Plus, finding and getting others that are more capable and have similar goals is no easy task either. Anyway, eventually somebody will do it and when they do, they will have a gold mine. Just ask the guy doing the GameRankings.com site.

    Tommy McClain
     
  6. just me

    Newcomer

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2003
    Messages:
    135
    Likes Received:
    0
    Graphics "board" like this? [​IMG] or mother "board"? Or are you looking for a graphics "card"? PCI or AGP interface? Maybe a Daughter "board"? :?
     
  7. Quitch

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2003
    Messages:
    1,521
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    UK
    It's really not as complex as all that. I've seen countless people ask for advice, and their requirements will be one of the following:

    1. Best affordable DX8 card.
    2. Best affordable DX9 card (or, I want to play HL2!).
    3. Best card.

    When was the last time you saw something different from this? 95% of questions are this, and they could be saved by a simple post or page, and the other 5% could be dealt with on the forums.

    I mean, I continually see people told the following:

    If you don't intend to play DX9 games, get a GeForce Ti4xxx (depending on budget). If you want to play DX9 but your budget is limited, go for either a Radeon 9(6/7)00 Pro (depending on budget). If you want the best card around, buy a Radeon 9800 Pro.

    You don't need to offer much in the way of money advice, they can see the costs for themselves, they only need you to tell them what card (and what price range they would fall in rough terms like mid-range). Once they know what to look for, people are very good and finding deals.
     
Loading...

Share This Page

  • About Us

    Beyond3D has been around for over a decade and prides itself on being the best place on the web for in-depth, technically-driven discussion and analysis of 3D graphics hardware. If you love pixels and transistors, you've come to the right place!

    Beyond3D is proudly published by GPU Tools Ltd.
Loading...