Best board for your money

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Quitch

Veteran

It seems that on this site it is very hard to find one thing:

Reccomendations.

Sure, I can post a question and get lots of good answers, but why duplicate that time and time again? It would seem logical to me to have a table, such as many sites have, with various Beyond3D reccomendations, backed up with reasons.

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

The best board depends on "how much do you want to spend?" and "what do you want to use it for?" . Throw in the quickly moving market with different product specs from different suppliers, and prices moving around all the time, this would be quite a bit of work to keep up to date. If you can't keep such a listing up to date and thus relevent, there's not much point doing it.

You're left with reading reviews (preferably here), getting opinions in the forums, and then applying your own criteria to the products reviewed to decide what is best for you.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Meh, wait a month and get the 9600XT. :)

Simple enough? ;)

4. Miksu

Regular

Don't wait, just grap a Radeon 9600Pro.

5. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I've always thought this method was completely unnecessary and complete pain in the ass. There is a much better way of doing it and Joe and I had done it before with a buyer's guide. Back then there were about 10 different companies. So it took a lot of time do it and keep it updated. Today is a different story. You basically have 2 companies making all the chips for the majority of the boards available. You can use a database and when a review is completed the buyer's guide could get updated in real-time. I've tried to get the buyer's guide started again, but I don't have the necessary web and programming skills to do it. Plus, finding and getting others that are more capable and have similar goals is no easy task either. Anyway, eventually somebody will do it and when they do, they will have a gold mine. Just ask the guy doing the GameRankings.com site.

Tommy McClain

6. just me

Newcomer

Graphics "board" like this? [​IMG] or mother "board"? Or are you looking for a graphics "card"? PCI or AGP interface? Maybe a Daughter "board"? :?

7. Quitch

Veteran

It's really not as complex as all that. I've seen countless people ask for advice, and their requirements will be one of the following:

1. Best affordable DX8 card.
    2. Best affordable DX9 card (or, I want to play HL2!).
    3. Best card.

When was the last time you saw something different from this? 95% of questions are this, and they could be saved by a simple post or page, and the other 5% could be dealt with on the forums.

I mean, I continually see people told the following:

If you don't intend to play DX9 games, get a GeForce Ti4xxx (depending on budget). If you want to play DX9 but your budget is limited, go for either a Radeon 9(6/7)00 Pro (depending on budget). If you want the best card around, buy a Radeon 9800 Pro.

You don't need to offer much in the way of money advice, they can see the costs for themselves, they only need you to tell them what card (and what price range they would fall in rough terms like mid-range). Once they know what to look for, people are very good and finding deals.