Best AGP video card with TV out that's $30 or less.

PC-Engine

Banned
Hi guys, I'm getting ready to buy a new videocard for an old PC of mine. Right now I have an ATI AIW Pro 8 MB PCI card in a PIII 600MHz system with 256MB of RAM. I'm running W2K Advanced Server and ME dual boot.

Anyway, when I'm online surfing the internet I usually open many IE browser windows at the same time. Usually 20+ IE browser windows. I've noticed that when I reach a certain number of open windows the graphics display becomes corrupt. My question is, is this because of the 8MB on the graphics card or is it my 256MB of RAM? I'm running 1280x1024 32-bit resolution. If the problem is the videocard then what's the best AGP with TV/out card that's $30 or less? Thanks in advance. :D

JCLW said:
I doubt it's the video cards fault. Does it happen with both 2000 and ME?

Yes it happens in both OS. You don't think it's because of the small 8MB memory on the videocard?

{Sniping}Waste said:
The best AGP for around $30 with TV out is a 32 meg Radeon 7000 with TV out.

Thanks, I'll probably be getting that then.

But it's just drawing a 2D screen. 1280 x 1024 = 1,310,720 pixels x 32bit = 41,943,040 bits = 5,242,880 bytes = 5mb so an 8mb card should be plenty.

What kind of corruption are you getting? If you take a screenshot does it take a picture of the corruption or does it look normal?

I'd agree the 7000 is probably your best bet if you're looking at a new card.

DW: Yes the Radeon 32 DDR = 7000.

JCLW said:
But it's just drawing a 2D screen. 1280 x 1024 = 1,310,720 pixels x 32bit = 41,943,040 bits = 5,242,880 bytes = 5mb so an 8mb card should be plenty.

What kind of corruption are you getting? If you take a screenshot does it take a picture of the corruption or does it look normal?

I'd agree the 7000 is probably your best bet if you're looking at a new card.

DW: Yes the Radeon 32 DDR = 7000.

When I try to do a screen capture it says there is not enough memory available to create or display the graphic. The corruption causes my browser's navigation buttons to all disappear, the title bar to disappear (no fonts), and there are the number "6" on the browser's navigation bar. Also when I move the cursor to the Start->Programs menu the submenu are invisible and only appear when I move the cursor over them. :? It's definitely a memory problem but I don't know if it's main memory or graphics memory.

I'd lean towards not enough system memory, but it's odd that both versions of windows have problems.

Have you tried a different display driver?

If you drag a bunch of selection boxes on the desktop do they leave "trails" behind?

JCLW said:
I'd lean towards not enough system memory, but it's odd that both versions of windows have problems.

Have you tried a different display driver?

If you drag a bunch of selection boxes on the desktop do they leave "trails" behind?

Ok, if I go past the browser windows threshold ~ 30 open browser windows, when I use the scroll bar on the browser, the contents of the webpage leaves trails and stays there. On my desktop there's like 100 shortcut icons. I don't have any trails when I select and drag them around.

Back