Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offerings may match but there is no way in hell I'm paying Sony's ridiculous Japanse pricing.

E.g. the 55af8 is a little under 2200 euros in the Netherlands. In Japan Sony has it listed at 350.000 yen, or over 2600 euros. That is a Japanese brand selling in Japan with 8% sales tax vs whatever important tax they got in europe + 21% sales tax.

And that is the price as advised by Sony. Buy it at a big retailer and you can bet it will be another couple of hundred euros more expensive.

Edit: Google keyboard autocorrect sucks.

You're being unfair on the choice of language.

No I am not. Not until both sides admit it is an issue, can they then determine the relevance or size of it, if it is major or minor. It's the only way actual discussion can happen.

Yes, it's roughly as large of a problem as backlight uniformity on all LCD displays. And as the shots at RTINGs show, backlight uniformity can often be worse than their week 24 burn-in/image retention on the OLED.

The major thing to note is that pathologically bad usage (thousands of hours showing the exact same thing) will have a deleterious effect on OLEDs that you won't get with LCDs. But outside of signage and PC usage that should be almost a non-factor.

Regards,
SB

There would be a case for some games though. The amount of time some people seem to have sunk into Destiny, for example. HUD burn-in seems plausible in pathalogical cases. Don't know if it's worth game devs having alternate UI options for swapping things around for OLED users? Probably more effort than it's worth for the small number who might be affected, even if it'd really piss them off to have noticeable burn on of their favourite game on their gorgeous OLED screen.

There would be a case for some games though. The amount of time some people seem to have sunk into Destiny, for example. HUD burn-in seems plausible in pathalogical cases. Don't know if it's worth game devs having alternate UI options for swapping things around for OLED users? Probably more effort than it's worth for the small number who might be affected, even if it'd really piss them off to have noticeable burn on of their favourite game on their gorgeous OLED screen.

Still, 3k hours? It's taken me almost 5 years to get approximately that much game time in Warframe. And even then, the UI elements change depending on where you are and what you are doing. It's been a while since I played Destiny 2, but IIRC it also has different UI depending on where you are. UI for towns, UI for combat, UI for inventory and item modifications, etc.

It's certainly a concern if you play one and only one game ~4 hours a day. You'd get to the same 24 week point RTINGs was at in something like 2.5 years. At which point if you were looking at a solid magenta screen (or whatever particular color would most emphasize the burn-in of the UI in X game), you might notice it. :)

Regards,
SB

Still, 3k hours? It's taken me almost 5 years to get approximately that much game time in Warframe. And even then, the UI elements change depending on where you are and what you are doing. It's been a while since I played Destiny 2, but IIRC it also has different UI depending on where you are. UI for towns, UI for combat, UI for inventory and item modifications, etc.

It's certainly a concern if you play one and only one game ~4 hours a day. You'd get to the same 24 week point RTINGs was at in something like 2.5 years. At which point if you were looking at a solid magenta screen (or whatever particular color would most emphasize the burn-in of the UI in X game), you might notice it. :)

Regards,
SB

It doesn't have to be the same game. It just has to be static elements appearing in the same general area in different games for there to be a cumulative effect.

If someone thinks they are unlikely to encounter an issue based on their usage, more power to them. As I said, I'd rather not even have it be a possibility. Especially since my usage is one of those pathological cases.

If someone thinks they are unlikely to encounter an issue based on their usage, more power to them. As I said, I'd rather not even have it be a possibility. Especially since my usage is one of those pathological cases.

Completely understandable. I'm generally risk adverse so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Regards,
SB

Regards,
SB

FIFA may not be the best target to use since it seems red/yellow/orange wears out faster. On AVS and other sites, Overwatch is seen as a common culprit.

I didn't regret opting for Plasma despite all the naysayers. Hopefully I'm not gonna regret going for Oled now. There's few things I hate more than the typical LCD shortcomings like clouding and poor viewing angles. It's why I went with Plasma the last time. Besides, given how ridiculously expensive qualitatively comparable FALD displays are, I can simply buy another tv if the one I'm using now goes bad after 3 years.

I didn't regret opting for Plasma despite all the naysayers. Hopefully I'm not gonna regret going for Oled now. There's few things I hate more than the typical LCD shortcomings like clouding and poor viewing angles. It's why I went with Plasma the last time. Besides, given how ridiculously expensive qualitatively comparable FALD displays are, I can simply buy another tv if the one I'm using now goes bad after 3 years.

I LOVED my old Penny Plasma, one of the later and best ones. Which also was meant to be impervious to burn-in, but the reality was that playing Bloodborne (to name one game that I played for hours) left marks on the top left of the TV for months. It just wouldn’t go away. Call it long-term retention, call it whatever you want, but it was there.

I had a Samsung Plasma. Signs of image retention came rather quick on the thing. Way faster than on my old Panny Plasma. That said, unlike on my Panny Plasma, the retention always went away within a couple of minutes. Played for thousands of hours on the damn thing, Iicluding gaming marathons like 12+ hours of Skyrim and Dark Souls and Bloodborne of course. Earlier this year it died because something on the main board went bad. Panel itself was still in pristine condition. The one really negative thing about it was the excessive amount of heat it generated. You could basically forget doing anything on it during the hotter summer days unless you wanted to be simmered in your own juices.

It actually did contribute to a lowered heating bill for me. I can forget about that with the Oled now. That said, maybe the overall power bill is gonna balance it out in the end. The Plasma consumed 300+ watts I believe.

I've a few PSN games I want to try. I'm not going to for a while because the PS4 exhausts too much heat, even just downloading!

I've a few PSN games I want to try. I'm not going to for a while because the PS4 exhausts too much heat, even just downloading!

Whaaaatttt LOL.

This is really a thing people base decisions on? I guess central AC not common in EU?

That said my X1X I notice seems to get a little warm for my tastes, in standby, which I guess means always. Which worries me a bit about failure down the road (although supposedly a constant temp is ok, it's changing temps that are damaging to electronics, supposedly) Oh well. Guess I could turn off standby as well.

Oh also getting my dream TV, the 65" TCL! Excited. Coming in a week. Coming from a 330 nits brightness 55" without FALD, I trust I'll be suitably wowed for a good while.

I'm also really intrigued to experience how much high brightness REALLY matters. As I've agonized over whether to go for a budget 65" set at ~350 nits or not.

Oh, hope I get a good panel. The amount of things that can wrong with these TV's is crazy. With exponentials features and complexity seemingly comes exponential potential for defects, and now those defects can come just as well in the complex software algorithms as hardware. It was an eye opener to see that individual FALD zones can be "bad" for example. But I'm not a videophile and I think it's a good idea to have a reasonable mentality. A panel as huge as 65" IS going to have uniformity issues. I'm not going to be a stickler about them. Somebody on AVS mentioned that you will drive yourself crazy looking at YT solid color etc videos that test your panel too much. If it looks good across a range of normal content, move on.

Last edited:
Whaaaatttt LOL.

This is really a thing people base decisions on? I guess central AC not common in EU?
Certainly not in the UK. If you look through my posts, last year or the year before I raised the issues of PS4's standby mode, because the thing was dumping heat into my room during a hot period, and I learnt it's ARM processor for background downloading isn't and the full SOC operates in background download mode, guzzling electricity and generating heat in the process. I've bought a portable AC unit now but I'm not going to run it to remove heat alongside the PS4 the generate heat. That's ecodumb.

Oh, hope I get a good panel. The amount of things that can wrong with these TV's is crazy. With exponentials features and complexity seemingly comes exponential potential for defects, and now those defects can come just as well in the complex software algorithms as hardware. It was an eye opener to see that individual FALD zones can be "bad" for example. But I'm not a videophile and I think it's a good idea to have a reasonable mentality. A panel as huge as 65" IS going to have uniformity issues. I'm not going to be a stickler about them. Somebody on AVS mentioned that you will drive yourself crazy looking at YT solid color etc videos that test your panel too much. If it looks good across a range of normal content, move on.
Definitely! Reading up on these TVs can really create buyer's remorse, where just buying one that looks nice leaves you happy because you haven't been told what's wrong with it.

Yep. A trap I've been falling into every single time as well. Last time it was the fact that the black levels on the plasma were ever so slightly elevated during its 96Hz movie mode. Of course I never noticed that until I went to a hi-fi forum.
As far as I'm concerned my new tv is basically perfect and I'm not gonna try and dig up evidence pointing towards a different conclusion.:nope:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back