Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you end up with eye strain or something worse like going blind, don't blame your hypothetical new TV which can output a max of 4000-20000 nits.

It would be like blaming your oven for burning your meat loaf because it has a max temperature of 260 C. LOL.

It's ultimately up to people mastering the content to ensure brightness levels don't readily lead to unhealthy viewing. Even then I am sure TV manufacturers won't allow their 20000 nit TVs to do things like burn at max nits with a 100% white field even if it were technically feasible.

Last edited:
I believe the OLED's everybody loves are already heavily limited to like 200 nits on fullscreen bright scenes. May be a technical limitation or may be an energy conservation thing where they simply suck too much power to meet regulations without the governor.

I do find it funny since people act like the expensive OLED's have no peer. And that any set that doesn't meet 1000 nits etc is a joke. Yet the highly rated OLED's they treasure are doing 200 nits in fullscreen bright scenes.

Honestly combined with burn in problem of OLED's (witnessed first hand on my brother's old samsung phone, spotify controls burned in) I think I would prefer a nice bright LCD, I'm sure with FALD picture quality is close. Of course I dont know what I'm talking about...

The super expensive Sony reference monitors that studios grade content with do not do more than 170nits full screen, TVs that wish to be accurate to the content should also follow this, any more is effectively wasted. Checking Rtings many offer more, some are straight up badly designed and offer their max luminance at full screen with very low luminance at 10% which is incorrect for HDR.

The Sony reference is an OLED but HDR is about highlights occupying small sections of the screen not recreating the sun full screen.

The zd9 (flad lcd) offer more at full screen, 600nits but that is probably a symptom of its components, it's achievement is reaching 1600nits in a 10% window. That is what will make a good HDR image.

Burn in is often a misaleading term as it's often not the bright areas that cause the effect but the dark and this is because dark areas go through less wear levelling as the display ages and ends up brighter than the other. For example my necessary uses onscreen buttons which is in a black bar. If I watch a full screen video you can see a light shadow of this bar onscreen. People would say it's screen burn but it's actually just less use than the rest of the screen. The cause by static content is the same but the actual technical reason is different to what most people think.

Thinking this I am unsure how it affects oled HDR TVs perhaps the term should be burn out instead? I dunno, slow delayed train into work so you get a brain dump.

Last edited:
My plan was to wait HDMI 2.1, but It seems it won't be here in full effect until 2019... Now... The LG C7... I will have to change my amp, but, I like it a lot...

I'm in a quandary too as I would have to upgrade my AVR to UHD HDR support. Don't want to upgrade to HDMI 2.0a only to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 again.

But there really isn't much of the content that I watch which is in 4K yet. If I watched a lot of Netflix or HBO, I would.

So buy now and look to upgrade again in several years or just wait another 1-2years?

I've a LG C7 and new amp since a few days, I don't regret it. The LG and amp (yamaha rx v383) supports HDR10 & Dolby Vision. Maybe HDR10+ in a firmware update ? I don't really know, but with LG Active HDR feature, I don't think I'll miss much. And truth to be told, I see a differences between SDR and HDR content, but the biggest jump was non-oled to oled, to my eyes... I've a 3.0 setup, si I don't really care about Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD &co are plenty enough for me. At one point, you have to jump :D

I won't change this setup for a few years. And I thing I'll be plenty happy with it :)

Some very interesting techs from Samsung at CES 2018.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-2018-qled-vs-oled-micro-full-array-micro-led-3367473
85" 8k Q9S Micro Full Array LED
In the second half of 2018, we will see a new tech called ‘Micro Full Array’ (MFA).

MFA is basically FALD tech on steroids. We’re looking at brightness up to 4000 nits, with black levels plunging to an OLED-matching 0.001 nits.

And if the 2018 QLED having hundreds of dimming zones is a good thing (and it is) then how about over 10,000 zones

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...l-array-micro-led-3367473#fOVA3gQ708gK4GH9.99
146" 4k Micro LED Modular "The Wall"
This is where Samsung finally drops LCD and adopts an emissive technology, similar to OLED and plasma before it. Samsung says it will be less power-hungry than OLED, with less potential for degradation over time. This is about as close to the ‘true’ QLED that folks on the internet have been speculating about for years,
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...l-array-micro-led-3367473#fOVA3gQ708gK4GH9.99

Now you gotta ask yourself, would you buy a car plus a house first before a fancy TV or vice versa :)?

Now you gotta ask yourself, would you buy a car plus a house first before a fancy TV or vice versa :)?
Ha! Neither! :devilish: I'd buy a new TV with this tech though, when it shrinks down to 45" or plusminus, and a reasonable price tag!

Watching 10,000 nits movies like
Sunburn-Vest.gif

Last edited:
Some very interesting techs from Samsung at CES 2018.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-2018-qled-vs-oled-micro-full-array-micro-led-3367473
85" 8k Q9S Micro Full Array LED

146" 4k Micro LED Modular "The Wall"

These all sound like tech demos or vaporware, not shipping products that they can manufacture at scale.

I bet they will charge hundreds of thousands for that Wall (note the plural, hundreds!), if they ever ship it. It will be a few dozen units that they virtually hand-manufacture and sell for really high price than something they can manufacture in volume.

Problem with CES is they put out tech demos every year to get attention but they have no intention of shipping that year or even the following year.

Samsung is reportedly in a weak position as premium TVs over a certain price point, they got demolished by LG, because nobody with sense is buying their overpriced "QLED" TVs.

I bet they will charge hundreds of thousands for that Wall (note the plural, hundreds!), if they ever ship it.

2. Mio. £. and its only UHD:

This is for me the most interesting news so far since it is really hard to get a accurate HDR image even with a lot of experience with CalMAN.

EDIT:

Another generation and then a 33x33x33 3D LUT will also be integrated for HDR:
"The SDR calibration uses 1D LUT and 33x33x33 3D LUT calibration (giving 30,000+ adjustment points); HDR uses 1D LUT for greyscale and 3×3 matrix for gamut calibration; while Dolby Vision calibration uses 1D LUT and the config file procedure as per 2017 sets."
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-portrait-201801074534.htm

I wish all people a lot of fun calibrating 33 points with an EODIS3. ^^ 33^3 is possible with LightSpace but no one does it with an EODIS3 because it takes too long. On the other hand with CalMAN I imagine 33^3 to be enjoyable. These guys have not managed to create a functional 3D LUT until today. As soon as CalMAN is to calibrate several thousand points the system masks off. CalMAN does not profile and then creates a 3D LUT out of it because they do not have any color engine capable of doing so. This will be very good when CalMAN introduces its system for the LG OLEDs.

What most people currently do in the practice of 3D LUTs are profiling 17^3 or 21^3 points and then creating 3D LUTs from them. Almost all of these people ended up with a K10-A as a measuring head because it is done in an acceptable time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back