Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
£380 for a non-smart HDR 1080p 40" TV?

Someone's hard to please :p

I have no idea if they're good value - I'm not currently shopping for a new TV, so have no idea of general prices - but I'm intrigued by the notion of 1080p HDR. Personally, I'd take a smaller, lower resolution screen as long as it possessed decent quality HDR.

I'm thinking £380 is a good price! I don't want a Smart TV. I'd rather have a smart dongle for that sort of thing, as replaceable and upgradable. Embedding smarts in a TV strike me as a terrible idea. If the HDR and PQ is good, it's a very smart idea and great for PS4 gaming.

I'm thinking £380 is a good price! I don't want a Smart TV. I'd rather have a smart dongle for that sort of thing, as replaceable and upgradable. Embedding smarts in a TV strike me as a terrible idea. If the HDR and PQ is good, it's a very smart idea and great for PS4 gaming.

Unfortunately I think the HDR performance is probably poor. It's impossible to find reviews, specs. You need pretty good brightness in a 10% window as well as high constrast to make hdr work. This thing does not seem to have local dimming, so the contrast is out, and if I were to hazard a guess it probably doesn't have significant peak brightness either. Also, no word on whether it's even a 10bit panel for the DCI-P3 colour space.

Unfortunately I think the HDR performance is probably poor. It's impossible to find reviews, specs. You need pretty good brightness in a 10% window as well as high constrast to make hdr work. This thing does not seem to have local dimming, so the contrast is out, and if I were to hazard a guess it probably doesn't have significant peak brightness either. Also, no word on whether it's even a 10bit panel for the DCI-P3 colour space.
The x900e is like 1750 for 65" right now.
Decent deal for good value.

That's my thinking. No HDR TV at that price is going to be real, worth it, HDR, probably. There's a 4K LG 43" TV at the same price in the Amazon comparison.

That's my thinking. No HDR TV at that price is going to be real, worth it, HDR, probably. There's a 4K LG 43" TV at the same price in the Amazon comparison.
Yes and no. There are many LG HDTVs that support Dolby-vision and you only get that when you have a 10-bit panel. At least the colors are than more or less as they should, and that already makes a big difference. But yes, you must at least "invest" the double of your £380 price limit.

But this FullHD screen has not even FRC so it is only the normal 8bit color pallete.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/6019af4

wait wait wait...just seen a comment on reddit and then read some info that infers HDMI 2.1 will support VRR natively?...

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

• Enhanced refresh rate features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
    • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.

Last edited:
Yep. It was revealed a while ago. And the X is supposed to support it, as far as I know. I wonder how long TVs will take to support it too

Is there any reason 2018 models wouldn't have it?...I mean I'm looking at this now and thinking is a 2018 OLED going to be the one to buy

wait wait wait...just seen a comment on reddit and then read some info that infers HDMI 2.1 will support VRR natively?...
Someone commented on some other website that this would make JHH's head explode. :p

They won't be able to overcharge 100+ dollars for gsynch anymore now. :p

I think it's good for people who just want HDR on their base PS4.

Disclaimer
  • Compatible only with HDR Game titles of all “PS4” via HDMI and HDR Videos of Built- in Netflix App. HDR image signal specifically means HDR10 Media Profile format (commonly referred to as HDR10).

• Not all HDR contents are guaranteed to be enjoyed on the TV.

Is there any reason 2018 models wouldn't have it?...I mean I'm looking at this now and thinking is a 2018 OLED going to be the one to buy

Slow your roll son. HDMI 2.1 has been finalized but the CTS (Compliance Test Specifications) hasnt been published and wont be rolled out in stages until Q1 2018 through Q3 2018.

So even if some 2018 TVs end up supporting 2.1 they won't be able to claim compliance until after the CTS is available and TVs have passed a compliance test.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Read the FAQs at the bottom.

That being said Panasonic released WT600 with hdmi 2.0 back in Q3/Q4 2013 while the CTS wasnt published until May 2014. So I don't know if HDMI org's FAQ are just words on a piece of paper or they want to avoid a similar occurrence.

Panasonic (Sony too) operates a HDMI ATC which runs the HDMI compliance tests for device manufacturers seeking certification. Being an ATC may have given Panasonic an advantage in releasing a 2.0 TV first and HDMI may want to avoid such situation this time. Or maybe we will see 2.1 TVs announced this spring as the CTS rolls out.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
If X1X is supporting it then I don't know why TV's next spring won't(at least the higher-end sets)...but what do I know!

If X1X is supporting it then I don't know why TV's next spring won't(at least the higher-end sets)...but what do I know!

I would expect that a lot more development is required on the display end to support VRR than is required on the source side.

I think it's good for people who just want HDR on their base PS4.

Disclaimer
  • Compatible only with HDR Game titles of all “PS4” via HDMI and HDR Videos of Built- in Netflix App. HDR image signal specifically means HDR10 Media Profile format (commonly referred to as HDR10).

• Not all HDR contents are guaranteed to be enjoyed on the TV.

I think the HDR will be very poor, based on the scarce info about the tv.

If you want well done HDR, you're going to have to pay. That's pretty well established.

Don't expect anything great CES this year either. 2019 will be the next step up. HDMI 2.1 will be common place and implementations will have matured. LG will also switch to a different manufacturing process for OLED's.

The only news for 2018 is that Samsung will go back to FALD sets to stop the bleeding at the high end (where all the margin is).

They are?? That's really good news. The Q line only needed FALD to actually be great. Colour was ridiculously good, but that backlight bleed was just awful.
The in-store demos I've seen does emphasize the ridiculous color (which is friggin gorgeous, honestly, best I've ever seen on LCD TVs) but I can't see any light bleed. Maybe the store demos are designed to suppress it? There aren't any sections with largely dark screens with a bright spot inside it, for example.

So current Samsungs don't have any local dimming backlights, is that it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back