Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps that's why the scenes with the marbles and the rose petals were so striking?

Maybe! I just think it was mastered really really badly. The scene with all the neon lights looked even more flat than most SDR video, when neon lights are some of the best things to show off HDR. Very weird. And I tried it on my Sony UHD player, my PS4 and the TV app, they all looked the same so it's definitely the source.

WOW the TV is gorgeous
Love the frame! Much nicer looking metal frame than the LG or Samsung sets I've seen. Not a fan of the stand tho. Looks weird. I'm thinking, maybe I'd put a TV like that on a VESA arm mount instead.

Is this panel edge-lit? What's its brightness output like? You know if it can passthrough dolby digital through SPDIF?

Thanks! :D

Maybe! I just think it was mastered really really badly. The scene with all the neon lights looked even more flat than most SDR video, when neon lights are some of the best things to show off HDR. Very weird. And I tried it on my Sony UHD player, my PS4 and the TV app, they all looked the same so it's definitely the source.

Maybe the tonemapping on your tv was handling it weird because there were too many bright highlights? Didn't see it in hdr, so I don't really know.

The Sony X900E is a direct-lit with pseudo local dimming (up to 45 logical zones) but its not considered as a FALD because of its reliance on psedo local dimming is more akin to an edge-lit. Still, it has every advantages of an edge-lit PQ with the bonus of having better uniformity because of being a direct-lit,very nice. Peak brightness is capped 880 cd/m2 because Sony thought that luminance would strike the best balance with 45 zones. Samsung should learn a thing or two from Sony as their even fewer 24 dimming zones KS8000 completely detroyed midrange just to get elusive 1500 cd/m2. Picture reliability before marketing, please.

If "Your Name"s HDR performance is any representation of Japanese anime, then it would explain why Death Note's HDR sucks as well. From measurements, Your Name doesnt have any WCG encoding as expected from present day anime. Its peak brightness is the most disappointing, only at 400 cd/m2 Making it dimmer in overall APL than the SDR luminance we usually watch.

The Sony X900E is a direct-lit with pseudo local dimming (up to 45 logical zones)
Thanks man. Appreciate the description!

Unfortunately it looks like this model isn't available in Sweden... :( Sad, as it looks like rather good value for money, the 48" version is not that much more expensive than the 40" HDTV I bought a few years ago.

The Death Note on Netflix I was referring to is their new live action movie based upon the anime that I was apparently only able to enjoy because I don't know anything about the source material.

Saw the first ~30min and can confirm it's not very good.
The movie itself doesn't seem to be very good either, to be honest. In the anime the main character was an ultra-intelligent psychopath-esque high schooler who paid little attention to the strangeness of the situation and immediately started to plan the assassinations of people he considered "evil" to look like accidents.
In this movie the main character is a stupid teenager who wants to avenge his mother and murder his high-school bullies in gruesome and unbelievable ways. It seems much less interesting IMO.

OTOH, I've been watching Defenders and that looks awesome in comparison.

OLED burn in is certainly possible and like those with Plasma's before, it can be a cause of concern depending on your viewing habits. Also, consumer OLED's are still a bit new so expect better resistance to burn in as the tech matures.

Still, if you're going to use a current OLED for a computer screen, watching a logo'd channels continuously for many hours straight a day or playing the same game on repeat for long sessions, you might want to wait and be a bit more cautious.

You guys are making me want to buy a new tv and I do not even "need" one, hrmf....

So I started looking into it, so the Sony ZD9 is "the best" I gather. But what about the A1?

I can get the Sony 65" UHD LED Smart TV KD65ZD9 for about 3200 euros, but the SONY 65" UHD OLED KD65A1 costs about 5000 euros.

Norway probably is more expensive than other places, so I am more interested in the vs aspect of these two TVs in regards to the price.

And yes, I am stopping at 65", currently got a 55" and 75" will be to big for my modest apartment.

For the price, the ZD9 is a crazy deal. Ridiculously good TV, especially with HDR which is the main reason why I bought a new TV.

Meh, rtings confirm evidence of burn-in beginning to appear on lg oled tv sets.
I'm pondering returning it and getting the equivalent lcd led sony instead...

Burn-in on OLEDs unlike Plasma or CRT TVs is not caused by retention or stuck pixels, but instead due to cumulative degradation of the material through usage. This means that over time, OLED TVs will lose brightness across the whole screen progressively. Burn-in is simply a high contrast region of the screen where there was more usage than the surrounding area creating a visible shape.

Yikes. That sounds like a more difficult problem to overcome than on the plasma's.

Any of you people know if any/which TVs reliably throughput Dolby Digital out of their SPDIF jack these days?

Cheers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back