Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, seriously? A monitor costing THAT much money from a company that owns a movie studio that doesn't support paranoid copy protection so you can watch movies on it? Ludicrous. :p

I've always been incredibly skeptical of the tv industry, wondering if they've been feeding us shit just so they can charge enormous money for reference grade displays. I have no idea what they differences in the underlying electronics are, so I could be wrong, but that reference display makes me feel like they're definitely screwing us. You can't make a $1k tv look too good, or there will be no reason to sell an upgrade next year, or sell a $30k reference display to every film/tv studio on the planet.

I think my sarcasm meter needs a change of batteries.

In 2013 it was estimated that a rgb OLED 55" TV would cost ~$7000 to manufacture. I doubt a tech limited to reference monitors for film productions has decreased that cost significantly in the last three years.

A reference monitor doesn't need hdmi. It uses sdi which is a broadcast standard. SDI supports things like time coding and makes use of coaxial cable and lock in connectors. So while your hdmi cable need some sort of amplifier after 30 or 40 feet, sdi allows that limit to extend to ~1000 feet.

Last edited:
I'd guess that the cost is because of incredibly low yields. Every square inch of every panel has to be absolutely perfect to meet the reference standard which may mean there is a high panel rejection rate.

I'd guess that the cost is because of incredibly low yields. Every square inch of every panel has to be absolutely perfect to meet the reference standard which may mean there is a high panel rejection rate.

I'd say the cost is because it's "professional". So they can charge silly money. Like in many other industries.

That's why, in my industry for example which is private jets, manufacturers can charge tens of thousands of dollars for a coffee machine for the jet, or those low-quality (compared to readily available products) TV screens. If I remember correctly I saw a charge of around 100k for a coffee machine or some other kitchen thing for a private jet.

It's the cost of being able to get away with it.

This Sony sure costs more to manufacture than normal TVs as it goes through rigorous calibration that makes it "perfect". But it does not cost 30k to make. It's mostly "Pro" profit.

I'd say the cost is because it's "professional". So they can charge silly money. Like in many other industries.
Probably both. It cost likely twice as much to make the high-end thing, but the demand means it can be priced stupidly with bonkers profit margins. I very much doubt, though, that a reference monitor like this is the same as a high-end TV with a firmware change. Although of course that has happened in the PC space with GPUs...

Probably both. It cost likely twice as much to make the high-end thing, but the demand means it can be priced stupidly with bonkers profit margins. I very much doubt, though, that a reference monitor like this is the same as a high-end TV with a firmware change. Although of course that has happened in the PC space with GPUs...
The Pro Sony is that good because it has been calibrated to death. Plus, if it's a Sony OLED panel (and not bought from LG for example), you'd have to factor in the small issue that Sony don't mass-produce OLED panels. Not sure where this panel is coming from, to be honest, but I see that happening.

The Sony panel is an RGB panel. The LG panels are different, though I'm finding it oddly difficult to find their sub-pixel structure. From what I'm reading the LG is supposed to have full RGB plus an extra white sub-pixel, which is supposed to improve color accuracy etc. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Somehow that Sony avoids the pitfalls of other OLED displays, and does it with significantly less display lag. So less processing and more accuracy? I'd love to see a teardown of one of those things vs a consumer display to understand what's different inside.

RGBW was shit on the Galaxy Note Pro. It was also used to save power rather than improve colour accuracy. I know some panels have used other colour subpixels (RGBY) to improve colour accuracy, which makes sense.

It could be that sony have more strict QC. So they only buy best of the best panel from LG

This panel is their own creation, apparently. Or at least that's what I'm reading. It's incredibly low volume. They can't make it to commercial capacities. I'm just curious whether the sub-pixel structure is the sole reason why this tv tracks so much better than any other set, and seemingly with very little video processing. If you've ever calibrated a tv, seeing a set measure that way with only 2pt greyscale and no cms is absolutely insane.

RGBW is a curious thing to imagine for OLED, as white light isn't a thing as such, it's an interpretation of our brain. So a white OLED subpixel would need to send out a bunch of different wavelengths all at once; white regular LEDs are (typically) blue LEDs with yellow phosphorous coating, but this seems awkward to accomplish - if at all possible - for the teensy-tiny subpixels used in OLED panels. So I wonder how they do it...

Yah, the white improves brightness. One of the sites I saw said it was to increase color accuracy, but that doesn't make much sense. Seems like LG is four white sub-pixels with RGB color filters on three of them. The Sony reference panel is just RGB. I don't know if the sub-pixels are white with color filters or if they're true color ... don't even know if that's a thing.

/hugs my newly arrived 49XE9005

This TV is SO GOOD! Incredible upgrade over my 6-7 year old 32" Samsung. I'm still to test many things on it [including PS4 Pro games], but damn, HDR demos [and 1st episode of Planet Earth 2] blew me away!

Congrats! I had to cancel my order of the X900E after the freight company's truck broke down, they didn't notify me until around noon that they wanted to reschedule delivery to today and I wasn't able to take off back to back entire work days waiting for a fancy toy to arrive. Of course, after not being able to give me a delivery window for today of anything smaller than 9am-4pm (all day), which resulted in me canceling the order, the freight company called me at work this morning at 9AM to tell me the delivery driver was at my door. Had they told me they could deliver it first thing in the morning, I could have taken receipt of the TV along with the 20% discount (around $360) that Amazon was offering for me to not cancel the order.

That's how the cookie crumbles.

The Sony OLED is not a manufacturing process that scales to larger sizes. If it did, Sony wouldn't be buying LG panels...

The reason it's expensive:
- cost to manufacture
- no economies of scale factor
- no subsidy for market share
- extensive manual tuning of each panel
- "professional" tax

Having seen the set in person at the shootout, yeah it's as close to perfect as you can imagine and we were fortunate to judge the other panels against it.

Is it a game changer? And miles ahead of what's possible in a consumer display? Not really. You'd have to appreciate the very fine details and know what to look for.

When I steal one of London-boy's private jets and sell it to the Albanian Mafia, then I'd get one as PC monitor. For Skyrim, of course.

The Sony OLED is not a manufacturing process that scales to larger sizes. If it did, Sony wouldn't be buying LG panels...

The reason it's expensive:
- cost to manufacture
- no economies of scale factor
- no subsidy for market share
- extensive manual tuning of each panel
- "professional" tax

Having seen the set in person at the shootout, yeah it's as close to perfect as you can imagine and we were fortunate to judge the other panels against it.

Is it a game changer? And miles ahead of what's possible in a consumer display? Not really. You'd have to appreciate the very fine details and know what to look for.

When I steal one of London-boy's private jets and sell it to the Albanian Mafia, then I'd get one as PC monitor. For Skyrim, of course.

Agreed.

Wanted to add that it wouldn't matter if x300 was a game changer with something like a color gamut that included all the colors in the visible spectrum or was so power efficient that it could show a 100% window of white burning at 40,000 nits without tripping it's ABL.

Films aren't graded to maximize the capabilities of a reference monitor. They are graded to look great within the performance limits of consumer sets.

The BVM X300 has a color gamut that covers most of the bt.2020 color space. However, when working on SDR or HDR material and if the TV detects rec.2020 colors outside rec.709 or dci-p3, it overlays those colors with a zebra pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back