Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt worry so much about it. I havent noticed any burn in on mine and I game more than I watch tv on it.

Have noticed temporary retention, like if there is a small square for instance of highly saturated yellow on blue, and then it goes to all blue, leaves an after image, but in normal content its fine, hud menus and such.

I think with a dark theme, and minimal icons on the desktop and a reasonable level of oled brightness it would be fine, even for surfing the web and stuff.

There are new LCDs from Sony an Samsung that have some kind of sheet to hugely improve the viewing angles, which apparently work very well. However those tend to be in the expensive models and comes with a lowered contrast performance.

I've been running my 75" Q9 for a month or so for now. I'm happy with it, it's a big upgrade to my previous TV, but it's definitely not a perfect TV. in dark room, there is quite a bit of blooming on highest local dimming settings, more than I expected, but I can live with it and it get's better with some ambient light, which usually there is. It does perform very well with HDR PS4 games in my opinion. I have to say that 75" still isn't as big as I would like in my setting... Should have at least 85" for better cinematic experience... I still feel like this is a major compromise, a compromise that I'm willing to live for now, but can see myself getting something else in a few years...

I love my LG b7 Oled. It's the first tv I've owned where I'm not constantly thinking about tinkering with the image. It just looks amazing with just about everything. I just took a couple of iq settings from Digital Foundry and that was that. Haven't noticed any burn-in or image retention problems so far.
I still think the image on my Plasma was ever so slightly more natural, but the much better black levels, the non-existent noise (my Plasma was buzzing like a mofo) and the lack of heat generation more than make up for it. I also think LG's WebOS is a fantastic user interface.

I don't know anybody from the biggest HiFi forum in Germany who complains about a burn in on his TV. This problem does not exist for consumers. In my opinion, an estimated 95 % of the complains are about uneven panel illumination. These already exist at the start. That's always the only thing I was worried about when buying new OLEDs or Plasmas (it's even worse with LCD) and that varies from device to device..

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been really wanting to get an OLED TV after seeing a properly calibrated set on its own and then even more so after seeing one next to properly calibrated LCD sets. The difference is just massive in a dimly lit room. Even in a bright room it's noticeable, albeit not quite as dramatic.

It's REALLY hard making myself wait until the inevitable sales on the B9 or C9 at the end of this year, but I really want HDMI 2.1 and its support for 4k/120.

Part of me wants to wait for 8k OLED, but that's going to be a few years before it comes down to a price level that I can justify for a TV/PC display. :D

That said. I was almost...ALMOST...able to convince my fiancé to get the retractable OLED. :) She loved the idea of not having a visible TV in the living room, but the price was still way too much for her. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Will the B10/C10 have the HDMI 2.1 goodness next year, or is that still too early?

Will the B10/C10 have the HDMI 2.1 goodness next year, or is that still too early?

Considering the B9/C9 has it this year, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have it next year. HDMI 2.1 and 4k/120 is the only reason I haven't already gotten either a B8 or C8. The only question for LG is when they plan to push HDMI 2.1 to their LCD line of TVs.

TCL and Highsense have already announced HDMI 2.1 8k sets for this year and I expect Samsung and Sony to follow suit.

Also, I'm not TOO bothered with having to wait a little as apparently neither NV nor AMD currently have support for HDMI 2.1.

Speaking of Hisense. Apparently they'll be releasing a TV using 2 LCD panels. One normal color panel and one black and white panel behind that to control light intensity. This might do well to enhance black levels without the obvious haloing from local dimming zones. The question just becomes, how well will 2 LCD panels be at blocking the backlight and what repercussions will this have on max brightness and color accuracy?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Considering the B9/C9 has it this year, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have it next year. HDMI 2.1 and 4k/120 is the only reason I haven't already gotten either a B8 or C8. The only question for LG is when they plan to push HDMI 2.1 to their LCD line of TVs.

TCL and Highsense have already announced HDMI 2.1 8k sets for this year and I expect Samsung and Sony to follow suit.

I'm really starting to consider a 4K upgrade for a TV when PS5 hits, but HDMI 2.1 is a must. RIght now the C9 is a little out of my price range (need 65"+)

HDMI 2.1 is a must for the next gen consoles. 4K @ 120Hz and VRR was the reason I was waiting all this year for the HDMI 2.1 OLED TV. However, my original goal for my first OLED TV (at least 1000 cd/m2 HDR brightness and 100% DCI color gamut) still hasn't been met with the 9 series so I will be waiting for the next wave of panel improvement which will arrive around 2020~2021, meaning I will have to wait a bit further after the PS5/Scarlet's release, but with further improvements like 10.5G plant, and improvement in lifetime in phosphorus blue (30000 hours half life) will allow it to hit 1100 cd/m2 of brightness, I think the wait will be worth it...except, by that time, 75 inches will be considered too tiny.

Then by the time of PS5 pro's release, I could go with 82 inch 4K model which will be likely to be released as 77 inch models will be discontinued as 10.5G 75 inch models ramp out. I will gain on size and further efficiency (Top Emission will allow for 1600 cd/m2 of brightness along with twice as longer lifetime for protection against IGZO deterioration) but lose out on uniformity as one sheet of 8.5G can only produce two 82 inches panels instead of six 75 inches like the 10.5G, and will have further drop in quality as those two 82 inches panel will have to share production with another two 48 inches panels a la MMG.

By the time of PS6's release, 98 inches (cut into 2 from a 8.5 sheet, no MMG this time) 8K OLED will probably get affordable along with further gains in brightness like TADF which will further push the HDR brightness into 2000 cd/m2

By the time of PS6 Pro's release, 105 inches made of 10.5G (three cuts) will probably be within a sane person's purchase range. And from this point, I will probably can not go bigger due to either cost or space reasons.

I have an LG OLED B 55 from mid 2017 and it's really great. I use it for movies, series & gaming, usually a few hours per day. No burn-ins yet, tested on various colored & grey backgrounds.
WebOS is the best tv os by far, I really dislike android tv and the one from samsung.
I may switch to hdmi 2.1 and get a 65' later, but really, it's always changing, in the meantime I already enjoy Stranger Things in Dolby Vision & God of War in HDR.
Don't wait, there is always something at the end of the rainbow... 8K is far from being mandatory, VFR is already supported on latest LG & HDR will always be incrementally better next year.
We are approaching diminishing returns imho, many movies are still shot at 2k & gaming in 8k is a pipe dream for now

anyone know how long a TV will be supported?

my 3 years old LG TV keeps getting firmware updates and the latest updates DESTROYS the HDMI CEC. I hope it wont be its last update....

EDIT: hopefully i wont need to do factory reset, and the next FW will fix it.

I have an LG OLED B 55 from mid 2017 and it's really great. I use it for movies, series & gaming, usually a few hours per day. No burn-ins yet, tested on various colored & grey backgrounds.
WebOS is the best tv os by far, I really dislike android tv and the one from samsung.
I may switch to hdmi 2.1 and get a 65' later, but really, it's always changing, in the meantime I already enjoy Stranger Things in Dolby Vision & God of War in HDR.
Don't wait, there is always something at the end of the rainbow... 8K is far from being mandatory, VFR is already supported on latest LG & HDR will always be incrementally better next year.
We are approaching diminishing returns imho, many movies are still shot at 2k & gaming in 8k is a pipe dream for now

I don't think many movies are still being shot at 2K. Problem is almost all of them go through a 2K digital post pipeline. Even the massive ones like Endgame. At the end of the day, almost all of your costly UHD discs are nothing but fancy upscaling jobs.

Yup for me, 4k/120 is the inflection point for me to jump in as well as monitoring other people's long term experiences with OLED TVs in a PC environment.

After that will be 8k for PC use with the goal being to see if a 75"+ 8k set can eliminate the need for me to have multiple monitors. That would be ideal. Currently I'm experimenting with a 49" 4k in portrait orientation as a side monitor with a 55" 4k display in landscape orientation as my main monitor. This has basically half the desktop real estate of an 8k large display and I'm finally at the point where I don't feel constrained or feel like I could REALLY use more desktop space for work. This makes me very hopeful that a single large 8k display will completely eliminate the need for multiple displays for me.

Regards,
SB

Yup for me, 4k/120 is the inflection point for me to jump in as well as monitoring other people's long term experiences with OLED TVs in a PC environment.

After that will be 8k for PC use with the goal being to see if a 75"+ 8k set can eliminate the need for me to have multiple monitors. That would be ideal. Currently I'm experimenting with a 49" 4k in portrait orientation as a side monitor with a 55" 4k display in landscape orientation as my main monitor. This has basically half the desktop real estate of an 8k large display and I'm finally at the point where I don't feel constrained or feel like I could REALLY use more desktop space for work. This makes me very hopeful that a single large 8k display will completely eliminate the need for multiple displays for me.

Regards,
SB

I think you will be very pleased, the C9 looks like a huge upgrade for gaming with freesync and 120hz above 1080p, and whenever hdmi 2.1 compliant graphics cards come out you will be ready, future proof ya know!

I’m not sure that the new OLEDs can actually do 4k120, even though they do support it due to HDMI 2.1. It’s not a given that they can display it, and nothing I’ve seen online is confirming that. Can they do it? Even Rtings shows the top tested res was 4k60 or 1080p120.
Confused.com

I’m not sure that the new OLEDs can actually do 4k120, even though they do support it due to HDMI 2.1. It’s not a given that they can display it, and nothing I’ve seen online is confirming that. Can they do it? Even Rtings shows the top tested res was 4k60 or 1080p120.
Confused.com

It's because there's currently no device out with HDMI 2.1 that can output 4k/120. Heck are there any output devices out yet with HDMI 2.1? I haven't been keeping track anything that isn't a PC graphics card (which currently don't have HDMI 2.1). :)

In theory it should work, but until there's something that they can use to test it, they can't verify it.

LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices, but unlike the Samsung Q90R, it appears that this only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, as we were unable to get it to work. We will retest this once we have an HDMI 2.1 source.

The Samsung is doing some quirky things to get 4k/120 on HDMI 2.0. Game and PC mode skip because there's not enough bandwidth for 4k/120 with 4:4:4 chroma. Movie mode likely uses 4:2:0 chroma hence why it can do it in Movie mode without skipping frames. Quote for the Samsung set.

The TV supports 4k @ 120Hz only on HDMI 4. However, it can't properly display 4k @ 120Hz in 'Game' and 'PC' mode as it is skipping frames, but it works fine in 'Movie' Mode.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back