Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Apr 29, 2017.

1. novcze

Regular

IMO most comments against chroma subsampling comes from gaming crowd (myself included) ... which makes sense because you naturally have uncompressed source
    and don't want to downgrade it.

Regarding CES 2019 ... I started to watch some videos to get up to speed with the latest news and that situation around micro LED is mind-boggling, they have huge 4k TV's while marketing freedom you have with modular approach and one is left wondering why there is no Full HD micro LED TV in more reasonable size, let's say 40 - 50 inch. Price wise it would be out of my reach probably, but if I had to choose between 55" 4k OLED or 40" Full HD micro LED for the same price I would choose micro LED without any hesitation.

2. wco81

Legend

Because they have no way to mass produce micro LED at reasonable cost at any size.

These prototypes that they show off at CES are virtually built by hand.

There are rumors that Samsung has been show8ng QD OLED prototypes in hotel suites this week. They’re trying to determine if they can mass produce QD OLED for reasonable cost. At some po8nt this year, they will decide whether they have a viable manufacturing process.

SpeedyGonzales and Michellstar like this.
  3. Entropy

Veteran

Which makes sense. I think it’s worthwhile to remember that resolution (or rather, apparent resolution, that is, dependent on viewing distance) is a factor in how apparent chroma subsampling is. What is detectable at 1920x1080, may be a non-issue at 8k.
    (I really feel that it’s a disgrace to the PC tech world that most of the monitors sold still show pixelation at typical viewing distances, in contrast to phones and now TVs. We should have moved past that a decade ago or more.)

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Its funny. Games would more likely be full res chroma and reduced res luminance (lighting) because of the cost of lighting calculation, which I guess is the opposite of what you'd want, ideally.

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Gpus aren't powerful enough. For a 24" screen you probably need 4k or higher.

6. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Because nobody buys full HD screens anymore, when you can get a 4K screen for half the price. I’m talking in marketing terms obviously.

And sadly, now that 8K screens are starting to get pushed, it will be the same story in a year or two. Silly.

novcze likes this.
  7. novcze

Regular

yes, may be a non-issue especially for high DPI displays.

8. wco81

Legend

8k will be over $2000 for a couple of years. Only reason it’s being pushed is NHK in Japan has started 8k broadcasts and want to push it for 2020 olympics.

9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Cheap. Small. Hdr TV... No one making that?

There are hdr monitors, but monitors always more expensive than a TV...

10. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Define cheap and small?

I’ve always loved big and expensive but that’s a personal preference.

Silver plate right there for anyone who dares.

Dr Evil likes this.
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't think you really want cheap and small to be combined with HDR.

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Exactly; the cat is likely to swallow it if it's small...

Malo, London-boy and orangpelupa like this.
  13. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

yeah when im home i prefer big AND cheap (I want those awesome US-EU exclusive TCL TVs...), but nowadays im only home for less than a week every half year or something.

so i need something more portable. Like.. 24" max, 300 dollars max.

14. wco81

Legend

I don't mind paying but the problem is that there are a lot of changes still going on every year.

So pay $3000 for a 65-inch OLED only to see some important improvements next year or the year after that.

Most people hang on to TVs for 7 years if not more. So it would be nice to plant a stake when you're convinced the product category is relatively stable.

15. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's technology for you! And it's that way in part so these companies can keep selling more hardware in faster upgrade cycles. If it were designed for the benefit of the planet, you'd have something akin to console generations, where TVs use a standard tech for 5+ years while the companies work on the next latest, greatest thing, and then the next display gen comes out with all the working, coordinated technologies. As it is now, they can sell a TV with better display, and then a new TV a couple years later that actually works with the handshaking standard you need with your devices, and then a new TV after that which updates the HDMI standard ready for the next big thing.

TL;DR - you can't wait on tech. When there's a TV you like at a price you like, buy it instead of waiting for a better option. And then don't look at any new TVs for a few years so you don't get buyers' remorse! ;)

16. Pressure

Veteran Regular

17. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

nvm

#1298 swaaye, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. Scott_Arm

Legend

The tv industry is broken. They need a reason to sell tvs every year so they keep pushing out new incremental updates. For me it's good, because it makes me never want to buy a tv. I'll save money, because I know I'll have buyers remorse when the next years model has features I would have wanted.

19. tuna

Veteran

Isn't that like most other industries?