Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Well I'm quite happy with the Sony xf9005. Replaying FFXV at the moment and it's so much better with HDR! Looking at the sun is such a bright image that is too much when it happens randomly!

London-boy likes this.
  2. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

The even crazier thing is that that is currently the highest-rated non-OLED TV for "mixed-usage" on rtings.com, besting a $3,500 Samsung set. The Sony Z9F will most likely surpass it when it gets released and tested, but that is going to be quite expensive as well. The price/performance is absolutely bonkers at this price point.

#1222 mrcorbo, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. dobwal

Veteran

Isn’t it the brightest TV on the market right now? I can’t recall another TV that can do over 2000 nits never mind 2300 nits.

4. Rangers

Legend

Cool beans, I took possession of a 65R617 not long ago. Overall great, but there's some so called "vignetting" (darkness) in the corners. After asking about this a few places online the general idea seems to be, you dont watch the corners, it's common, if it's not terrible just live with it. And I'm slowly accepting it. It's really not bad I guess, but it just bugs me. I guess if I spend $1k on a TV I want it to be "perfect". However returning a huge 65" TV is such a monumental chore, and you never know if the next one wont have worse problems. I think my 30 day window is up any day now anyway.

Somebody online mentioned "vignetting" is more common on FALD TV's because they dont have a backlight on the corners? I cant find any reference for that though.

At least it doesn't seem to have the banding people complain about with the TCL's. At least not that I noticed, and I'm not gonna go looking.

Beyond that I like it a lot. At first I was disappointed in the much ballyhood brightness, (this being my first decently bright HDR TV) because it didn't blow my mind or anything, but I guess after I readjusted my expectations I'm appreciating the nice brightness of the TV more. The Roku OS is just superb though, a real pleasure. As is the remote even though it might seem a bit "cheap" feeling.

Now In the corner of my mind the Vizio Quantum just being 500 more on sale is making me have a bit of buyers remorse too. Although it's by NO means a slam dunk that I'd spend the extra, in fact more likely I wouldn't.

I will say I feel kind of trapped with a 65" that cost more than a few hundred, because probably you can only sell it locally due to the sheer size, and even that wont be easy, and people on craigslist or whatever are very unlikely to appreciate the model. These are people who just treat TV's as a commodity. So it would be tough to get any kind of value out of it.

BRiT likes this.
  5. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

This (65" being a hard size to re-purpose/move along) is the sole reason this TV is not on the way to me right now! I want VRR, ALLM, and eARC and this TV doesn't have them, so this can't be my "for keeps" set. Still excited that this bar has been set, though. When these features do become available, it is now more likely that this level of performance will be available at my preferred size at an attractive pricepoint. Vizio got badly sidetracked by the LeEco debacle, but they're back baby!

BRiT likes this.
  6. DrJay24

Veteran

Well I missed the Costco deal by waiting too long. I now looking at the Sony 900F and Vizio PQ65, both are $1600-1700. I'd like something a little larger, but I don't want to compromise on the IQ or go into $3k land.

7. dobwal

Veteran

Why buy now? Holiday sales are just around the corner.

8. DrJay24

Veteran

I just nabbed the Sony 930E for $1399 shipped. Buydig has some phone only deal, the guy knew what I wanted before I said anything. He said every call was coming in for it.

BRiT likes this.
  9. wco81

Legend

Article about HDR+ rolling out in firmware updates to Samsung TVs.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-panasonic-tvs-but-good-luck-finding-content/

OK, I don't know how significant DV licensing fees are but manufacturers of even lower-priced TVs are supporting DV so if the fees are high on a lower-margin product, you wouldn't expect DV support.

But another part is that DV requires more processing power apparently. So Sony for instance supports DV in models with faster processors, either out of the box or through firmware updates.

There's very little HDR+ content as the article notes but there are promises of support from others.

And I believe most HDR devices support HDR10 as the baseline and then DV so it's not true that it supports one or the other.

HDR+ and DV may not coexist in hardware and it's hard for them to be on the same UHD Blu Ray disc because they're separate encodes and probably require a disc for each.

Anyways, whatever Samsung is saving by not paying DV licensing fees, they're in danger of being rendered irrelevant in the high-end space. They are said to be trying to get back into the OLED game and they saw a Vizio Quantum LCD costing less than half their flagship LCD best it in most metrics by Rtings. Not to mention, the Vizio supports DV.

10. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

The $1499 deal is back now. The website says it is good through 9/24 "or while supplies last".

BRiT likes this.
  11. DrJay24

Veteran

Ya, my wife spotted it in store. I bought the 930E, but I'll use Costco as a plan B.

12. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

13. wco81

Legend

14. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

"The Parties [Vizio] are developing a class notice program with direct notification to the class through VIZIO Smart TV displays, which requires testing to make sure any TV notice can be properly displayed and functions as intended. The additional time requested will allow the parties to confirm that the notice program proposed in the motion for preliminary approval is workable and satisfies applicable legal standards."

That quite imaginative. Bravo American legal system, you are usually awful. :yep2:

15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Digital Foundry has revamped their guide to 4K HDR. I'll only include their bulleted highlights, but do suggest everyone give it a read over to pick up the details like pros and cons.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-09-30-best-2018-4k-tvs-for-hdr-gaming-7009

Digital Foundry: the best 2018 4K TVs for HDR gaming
    There's only one contender for the top spot right now.
    • LG C8 OLED: the best 4K TV for HDR gaming
    • Panasonic FZ952/FZ950 OLED: the best-sounding 4K TV for HDR gaming
    • Samsung Q9FN/Q9F QLED: the best non-OLED TV for 4K HDR gaming
    • Sony Bravia XF900/X900F VA: the best mid-range choice for 4K HDR
    • Samsung NU8000 VA: the best value 4K TV for HDR gaming
    • TCL R617 VA: the best budget 4K TV for Americans
    • LG UK6300 IPS: the best small 4K TV for HDR gaming

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  16. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

The lg ips have RGBW and for some game it's annoying . You can see something like a thin mesh

17. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

HDMI 2.1, 120Hz BFI, VRR, 13 ms input lag (the lowest I ve ever seen). I am surpised about these improvements. Until now It was not sure that we will get HDMI 2.1 in this years TVs. Still ist possible that these TVs dont have 48Gbps.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546474656

#1237 Jupiter, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  18. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I thought HDMI 2.1 meant 48Gbps? Can you have one without the other?

19. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Only the higher resolutions/refresh rates require the full bandwidth, so it's possible to support all of the other features of HDMI 2.1 without supporting the higher bandwidth connection. Since no source device will ever be sending those resolutions/refresh rates to the display due to the display not being capable of handling them, the high-bandwidth support isn't really necessary for these TVs.

The 8K Z9 would probably need it, though.

#1239 mrcorbo, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
    Jupiter, London-boy and BRiT like this.
  20. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

LG confirms full HDMI 2.1 support in 2019 TVs: https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-confirms-full-hdmi-2-1-support-in-2019-tvs/
    Full bandwidth then. Features could be patched as well.

Interesting. 2018 OLED TVs can never do VRR but its possible that the SONY and Panasonic OLEDs can get VRR as well in the 2019 OLEDs.
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...r-hdmi-2-1-tvs-ces-2019-a-6.html#post57380886

#1240 Jupiter, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019